Reply To: The disclaimer jar – advice on attitude to one's writing

About Forums Den of Writers The Writers’ Lifeboat The disclaimer jar – advice on attitude to one's writing Reply To: The disclaimer jar – advice on attitude to one's writing

Squidge
Participant

Interesting. I think sometimes, ‘It’s not quite there yet’ can sound like an apology, when it’s actually the admittance of a mature (by which I mean you know yourself and your writing) author, who realises that something created in such a short space of time needs more work. I’ve done it myself!

But of course it takes time to build that confidence in what you write and how you write – which is where a lot of us struggle to accept we’re actually doing something well. I know exactly what Sandra means when she talks about measuring yourself up to amazing books we’ve read. Done that – even among the cloudies, when I see what some folks have written! As Philippa noted, you have to accept the you write a particular way, you can only do your best, and leave the rest to other people!

On the other end of the scale – and something quite different – is when folks say their work’s no good when it flippin’ well is, and they’re just fishing for the feel good compliments.