Reply To: Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc

About Forums Den of Writers Blogs Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc Reply To: Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc

JaneShuff
Participant

I know what you mean, Hilary. And FWIW I try now not to worry too much about the minutiae of all the different (with a lot of similarities) theories of story structure. That way lies madness for me. I read them and enjoy them and sometimes I get a light bulb moment and often some part of them sticks in my mind and comes to the fore when I’m trying to deal with something that doesn’t work. But that may be just me as I don’t work very analytically. Things have to sink into me before I can use them. So if they’re making you despondent and uncreative, ignore them.

It’s important too to be open to other things. Scenes and characters often don’t go the way I think they’re going to. Scenes and characters appear that weren’t in my plans. Sometimes I have to get rid of them later but most of the time they’re there for a reason – and it can take me a lot of time to work it out. I’m sure that happens to all of us.