Just a few days left for the Monthly Competition. Hurry, hurry, hurry!
Just a few days left for the Monthly Competition. Hurry, hurry, hurry!
powered by bulletin

Reply To: Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc

About Forums Den of Writers Blogs Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc Reply To: Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc

Raine
Participant

@KazG & @emmad – oooh, I like the phrase ‘thinker on paper’! That sounds a lot closer to what I do. For all my love of graphs and themes and character outlines, and more graphs, very little of the detail gets decided until I’m in the story. I think it’s a little like my old self’s data analysis process – first you gather all the plethora of ecological data (gathering ideas & researching), then you plot a bunch of figures to get an impression of what the data actually are and how they look (these arc sort of things), and *then* you get on with actually working your way through them (writing). It’s only in this final stage that you get to test whether your theories work, and which bits of them are significant.

That’s not the finest ever metaphor, but maybe explains why I work the way I do now, as a writer. 🙂

Also, MARGARET ATWOOD VIDEO MASTERCLASSES??? I might have to beg this as an xmas present. Thank-you for pointing the way, Kaz. I love you forever.