Reply To: Richard's Literary Byways: Jurgen, by James Branch Cabell

About Forums Den of Writers Blogs Richard's Literary Byways: Jurgen, by James Branch Cabell Reply To: Richard's Literary Byways: Jurgen, by James Branch Cabell

RichardB
Participant

Yes, there wasn’t much fantasy being written then, certainly not on the industrial scale we have today.

Obscure though Cabell is to the reading public, he has been quite influential in his genre. He nfluenced later writers of humorous fantasy like Jack Vance and Fritz Leiber, whose stories also feature protagonists who fall some way short of heroic perfection. The challenges to conventional mores that made Robert Heinlein’s Stranger in a Strange Land such a favourite in the sixties counter-culture were, according to Heinlein himself, due to reading Cabell. And when I read Neil Gaiman’s Stardust I found Cabell’s footprints all over it – even though I didn’t know then that Gaiman is a fan, and despite the fact that it is many ways very different from Cabell’s stuff.

Jane, it’s somehow particularly pleasing to hear that you enjoyed the blog even though it hasn’t made you want to read the book.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by RichardB.
  • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by RichardB.