Reply To: Plotting workshop notes

About Forums Den of Writers The Writers’ Lifeboat Plotting workshop notes Reply To: Plotting workshop notes

KazG
Participant

you’re all very welcome and I’m glad if they’re useful 🙂 But I forgot to put index cards in! I’ve just added that now, point 2 after Donald Maas.

Yes, that’s right @philippaeast – it’s very liberating to put all these approaches on the table and see that they all ‘work’ even though they’re different. It’s all there for the taking and what works for one writer may not work for another. But also, what works for one writer at one time with one WIP, may not be the best approach for another WIP – Philippa (the author/workshop leader) said she found that some of her books worked better with different approaches, because of the make-up of the plot, the pacing, whatever. Also, you could use different approaches at different stages within the same WIP. You could start early on with a basic form, such as Maas or the plot chart, and then move on to more detail as the work progresses. Or, start with Luhn premise and controlling idea and then if get stuck with the action play around with index cards. I find it all very freeing! In a lovely supported sort of way 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by KazG.
  • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by KazG.