@bellam
Active 3 months, 1 week ago-
Barny replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
@athelstone have you looked at moving to a 21st century forum like discourse? I use it on talk.restarters.net and it’s pretty slick. You can get email notifications and reply by email; can upload pictures, has trust levels and you can restrict areas.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition July 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 3 months ago
Sand
Mum was a good woman. I say was; I mean is. She’s still alive. But since the diagnosis of dementia, well, for a long while before that, I knew she was slipping away.
She sits with me as I work.
I have a phone to repair. A capacitor has failed, a tiny surface-mount component. It is fiddly and the manufacturer won’t replace it. But I wil…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition July 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 3 months ago
“Above the tideline”
first line provided by Thomas A ClarkeAbove the tideline, an old blue rope is entangled in a bramble bush. I gaze at it while retying my hair, turning to face into the wind, risking the scratch of sand beneath my already sore eyelids; its crunching against my teeth.
Sand, salt and shell fragments speckle the twists of it,…[Read more] -
Barny replied to the topic Monthly Competition – June 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 3 months ago
Well done, Libby – a deserved win!! And thanks Ath.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – June 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 3 months ago
Yes indeed, Well done Libby – such beautiful writing. [And well done Ath for getting it right ;-)] Also for the theme of the competition which chimed with the greater degree of looking back I occasionally do these days.
-
Thank you @sandradavies . I very much enjoyed your story too. A pleasure to read.
-
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – June 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 3 months ago
Libby: Sound Waves.
A real slice of life. Beautifully portrayed, the violent action all at a distance and the thoughts of the protagonist so quiet so mundane that we just know a bomb is going to explode into the story.Sandra: Another fairy tale.
Ah, becoming an adult. I’m so glad I’m not the only one still waiting for that Corinthians mom…[Read more]-
Thank you @athelstone. I enjoyed writing to the theme. The other entries were so good I’m very chuffed to have won.
I’ll go away and think of a theme for July.
-
-
Barny replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
DoW problems: Usability just isn’t what it should be; not being able to post pictures is a pain; definitely doesn’t promote idle chat.
The wordcloud was very far from perfect, but had one significant difference: the course offerings meant new people were always joining, wondering wth was going on, some figuring it out or persisting without fig…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
The garlic will be ready for harvesting in a few weeks.
-
Ha, bet it’s nicer than shop bought! 🙂
-
How long does it keep for?
-
I’ve no idea…hang on…according to google, it lasts about a month just sitting around doing nothing, but if you put it somewhere warm and dry so that the skin-layer of leaves goes papery, it can last for several months.
-
I thought you were an experienced garlic grower but I see you’re a novice like us! At least yours has grown. Ours never showed its face!
-
The best I’ve managed is chives.
One thing about the weather this year: the patches of meadow pea on the lane’s verges are larger than usual. Rich golden yellow flowers liked by bees.
-
-
-
-
-
-
Athelstone replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
Well, there’s a lot to think about. And to get started on.
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
Deeply pleased to hear other people want idle chat.
-
Idle chat about what? Oh, … yeah. Yes please.
-
Been lucky enough to escape Covid testing but got to have two next week before travelling. Are they really as awful as people claim?
-
Ah, I can spot idle chat when it slaps me in the face. Have done one of the lateral flow type – you have to stroke your tonsils with a long cotton bud, then right up your nose. Fun. I find the tonsils one really difficult, makes me retch. OTOH I was clear 🙂 In the UK we can get free tests from pharmacies. Go for it! Hope it’s a nice holiday.
-
Well, I’ll let you know Barny but it sounds disgusting!
-
-
-
[idly] you did ask. Yeah let me know how it goes, but you can skim the details if you want.
-
Watch this space…
-
All fine! But only nasal swab for PCR test in France!!
-
🙂
-
-
-
-
-
-
Athelstone replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
I certainly agree with the point about idle chat.
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
My thoughts… I agree that the format doesn’t help and I’d love to see it changed. Maybe to something that would encourage more idle chat. Something about the format makes me feel I need to have something particularly worthwhile to say in order to post. I think idle chat is important for keeping relationships going but I may be in a minority…[Read more]
-
-
Squidge replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
I don’t post here as often as I perhaps should, though I love knowing it’s here if I need it, or to celebrate good news with other peeps, and of course, to be challenged to write a short story every now and again.
Beyond that, I think because I’m published, working on new material, editing for other people, testing a writing course, I don’t have…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
Site was ‘murdered’ because owner decided to shut it down then did so, Telling no-one and refusing to answer all communications thereafter.
I do think we that were there were lucky, insofar as it was a chatty, supportive active group, probably at the peak of its activity, which made the death of it al the more tragic,
-
Knicks replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
A quick run of thoughts apologies for typos. I came to the Cloud just before it collapsed so I do not have the same level of emotional investment as those who were floating there together for years and years. I discovered and came for my Random lovelies, and stayed for my Random lovelies. They are my only priority. I show up when they show up, and…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
I have belonged to one or two sites that have been invaded and effectively ruined by the invaders, after which they failed. How is a site murdered?
As for contributers…well, that’s tricky. When it comes down to it, it’s people’s leisure time. If they feel compelled to contribute then I’d sort of hope it was some sort of internal compulsion…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
Read this, Ath, and will ponder (not that I think I’ve any answers.) but a year in which to turn around is an excellent idea.
Another thought, along the lines of ‘if you pay for it you make sure you get your money’s worth; would be more convincing were this as lively and well-functioning as we’d like it to be.
But, The site I cut my writing teeth…[Read more] -
Athelstone posted an update 5 years, 3 months ago
I have added a blog and I think it’s important for ALL members to take a look, Thank you.
-
Athelstone started the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
1) It’s that time of year when our hosting providers ask for some money again. As ever, this forum is free to members, but should anybody wish to contribute please head over to the Donations group where you will find information in the forum. You will need to join the group, which doesn’t commit you to anything, to view the posts.
2) You can…[Read more]
- Load More
