@daisydown
Active 6 years, 11 months ago-
RichardB replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years agoCrystal Palace
Yes there is
-
Athelstone posted an update 4 years ago
Any more takers for the annual Short Story Challenge? There’s still time to join the “All You Need” group and make a couple of simple choices. The group closes and becomes private on Sunday evening, 22:00 UK time. It’s an easy way in for 6 months of fun and anticipation.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoConiston
Yes there is
-
Woolleybeans replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoCala Bridge
No there is not
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – August 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 1 month ago
Well done @clebs. I said it’s excellent – and it is!
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – August 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 1 month ago
Congratulations, Clebs, a well-twisted tale. And thanks Alex for a prompt which produced such variety.
-
Athelstone posted an update 4 years, 1 month ago
Another reminder to all Denizens. The annual short-story challenge is awake once more. If you haven’t joined already, you only have until 11 September to join the group ALL YOU NEED and make a couple of choices.
And to those who HAVE joined, choices must be made by that same date in order to enter the challenge. -
Athelstone replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoAh, I see.
Cf. my choice
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoFor me the town is the sticking point, as whatever I go with will necessarily narrow down what kind of story I can write a fair bit. That’s what comes of writing across a range of genres I suppose!
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Monthly Competition – August 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 1 month ago
Burn
The day the power went off for the last time, Dad started on about the country again.
“When did this country change?” he growled. “Things never used to be like this. This is Britain, how did it get so the electric doesn’t work?”
Gemma didn’t understood when he talked like this. It was like he felt the whole island was somehow the same. G…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoI think the choices this year are kinder than they have ever been, really. In there impact on a possible story that is.
-
RichardB replied to the topic The Price of Coal: Senghenydd, 1913 in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
It did, but not by very much. I went looking for info on this, and found three post-nationalisation disasters with forty or more killed. Not quite slaughter on nineteenth century levels, but you have to take into account that the industry was being steadily run down.
Though I’m old enough (I was born in 1950) I don’t remember where I was or what…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 4 years, 1 month ago
Still today and tomorrow left for a crack at the monthly comp. GO ON! You know you want to really. Give Alex some work to do with his judging.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Edinburgh book festival 2022 programme in the forum Coffee Shop 4 years, 1 month ago
A ‘critical reading course’ sounds exactly what I need, (and I’ve a couple of books on the course list) but despite several books on ‘How to’, and the Future Learn course using the James Tait Black shortlists, I’ve realised my brain doesn’t work that way. Hope you get what you want from it. I’ve several books from the Festival added to my…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Edinburgh book festival 2022 programme in the forum Coffee Shop 4 years, 1 month ago
And now that Edinburgh’s book festival is over, I need to thank you again for the heads up – so many hours of pleasure, not to say inspiration.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic The Price of Coal: Senghenydd, 1913 in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
I was just reading up on Gresford following this and noticed one striking coincidence. The name of an MP who castigated the mine’s management during a debate in parliament following the inquiry’s mealy-mouthed conclusions:
David Grenfell…
-
RichardB replied to the topic The Price of Coal: Senghenydd, 1913 in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
And thank you too, Seagreen.
For those of you who are interested enough to look up that song lyric, I should explain the significance of that line ‘Down there in the dark they are lying.’ On the grounds that conditions were too dangerous for any further rescue work, the controversial decision was taken to permanently seal the affected part of the…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 4 years, 1 month ago
An apology to some of the more active users of this site. The absolute last thing we need is your posts going astray, but that has happened. A while back we had some anti-spam software that blocked posts with internet links embedded, but this has been removed. Unfortunately, unknown to us, the same function is buried in the very plug-in that…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Film, storytelling – psychic distance again – and looking under the bonnet in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
Just come across this while procrastinating and would firstly say I found it fascinating. I know I lack analytical skills and rarely watch films, finding them lacking compared to books, so your post, Daeds, and subsequent comments, have opened my eyes to a new way of viewing – I’ll come back and re-read several times more – so thank you.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoHaving a love story already bubbling in my head, I need to change my choice of place to Yarm, but will stick (in finger-crossed ignorance) to ‘Yes there is’.
- Load More
