@daisydown
Active 6 years, 11 months ago-
Athelstone replied to the topic The Price of Coal: Senghenydd, 1913 in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
You have a calm, authoratative voice that is perfect for these blogs, Richard. I start one of these and it’s like eating something delicious: I can’t stop until it’s finished.
On the topic itself: it’s reassuring to think that we’ve come a long way since those unreconstructed days of holy capital. Then I consider the unreported disaster that has…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – August 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 1 month ago
Change for the better?
I was born in Dovercourt, Essex, in my paternal grandparent’s house, to which they’d moved when my father was five years old. He, being still in the RAF was told of my arrival by telegram. The house was small; too small for five adults (my father’s sister lived there too) and baby, but we lived there for several years…[Read more]
-
RichardB started the topic The Price of Coal: Senghenydd, 1913 in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
At 8.00am on the morning of 14 October 1913 the mining village of Senghenydd (Seng-HEN-uth, hard s as in sip, soft th as in clothes), about four miles north-west of Caerphilly, was going about its business as usual. At the Universal Colliery the men of the early shift were underground and had been for two hours or more. The night shift men, who…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoMy choices, courtesy of Jules (on my behalf)
Town: Old Sodbury
Choice: No there isn’t
-
Jules replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoTown – Droop
Choice – yes there is
-
-
-
-
Squidge replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoJewltown
Yes there is
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoHunsdon, Hertfordshire
Yes there is
-
-
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – August 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 1 month ago
All Change!
First thing I noticed was the sodding light switch. I’m stood like a plonker in the door to the kitchen, whacking the wall and finding—nothing. No light switch. Just a plastered wall. I mean, bloody hell! How’s a man supposed to make his bleedin’ morning cuppa if he can’t see what’s what? After about a minute of pointless slapping, I…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 4 years, 1 month ago
It’s that time again. There’s a new group in town. Head on over to “All You Need” for details of the new Short Story Challenge.
All are welcome. -
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
I did the same with this reply as so often before: typed it, went to check something, got distracted, forgot all about it, closed the laptop, assumed I’d sent it.
Mark 2.
Thanks @daedalus. I find that I remebered more than I thought, although We’reNot in Kansas Any More had eluded me for a bit. The two earlier ones were first, the Intercity…[Read more]
-
Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
2014-15 – Here and There
2015-16 – Not in Kansas Any More
2016-17 – Now and Then
2017-18 – Whispers and Glances
2018-19 – A Room with a View
Those were the ones I took part in. I think there may have been one or two before I joined the Cloud, one of them called Intercity.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Oh, yes, 2016/17 was penultimate one wholly on the Cloud (Alan’s last challenge: Now and Then). Was yours Craquelure, a rather unnerving and powerful story about a painting?
Kate’s was from 2017/18 (My first Challenge: Whispers and Glances)
Mine was from 2014/15 (can anybody remember all the theme names on th Cloud? I know some)
-
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
I think you’re right.
There’s another challenge brewing. Should be up in a week or so.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
And quite right it is too!
Am I right in supposing that at least three of the four listed stories from Denizens were from Den or Cloud winter challenges? (Mine was from the 2016-17 challenge, which iirc was the penultimate one to be wholly staged on the Cloud)
- Load More
