@daisydown
Active 6 years, 11 months ago-
RichardB replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Thank you one and all. I’ve had a good feeling about this story ever since I knocked out the original version for last winter’s challenge in three days flat, but never in my wildest dreams did I envision it would do this well. Well, in my wildest dreams maybe, but not anywhere else.
The result has bolstered my faith in my writing ability, though…[Read more]
-
Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Brilliant news Richard – a fantastic story that absolutely deserves the recognition, and that goes for the writer too
-
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
That’s “pleaseD” of course.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
So please, Richard. A brilliant and moving story, written with an intensity but also a subtlety that really marks it out.
-
RichardB replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Thank you, Kate. Yes, it is. Once again I seem to have missed the boat to be the first to announce it, but hey, who cares? After writing and submitting two novels and getting 60% form rejections and 40% no reply at all, it does feel rather good to have got some validation at last.
Bitter, moi? Not just at the moment.
-
RichardB replied to the topic How to reach out to a speculative fiction editor? in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 4 years, 1 month ago
Oh, it’s gone live all on its little ownsome.
-
RichardB replied to the topic How to reach out to a speculative fiction editor? in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 4 years, 1 month ago
For a start, you could try Jericho Writers, which is what the Writers’ Workshop, sponsors of the old Word Cloud, morphed into a few years back.
Sorry, I can’t make the kink go live without the entire post vanishing. You’ll have to copy and paste.
-
RichardB replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Ah. Forgot to check for new posts (not often necessary here, sad to say), hence the duplication with Ath’s post.
-
RichardB replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
That’s four Denizens now on the longlist, a 20% hit rate. Impressive. Or is anyone else going to come out of the woodwork?
Wot I said to Ath, Daeds: making the longlist is an achievement, so congrats on that.
-
-
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
4 longlisted and 2 shortlisted. I call that impressive for a small site like this.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Congrats to the long and shortlistees! I’ve only just noticed that my story was on the longlist – as I’d already resigned myself to not being listed, missing out on the shortlist does not come as a blow, but I’m delighted for Richard and Kate, best of luck to both of you!
-
RichardB replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Well yes, obviously. But making the longlist is quite an achievement too.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 2 months ago
I didn’t make the shortlist but I tell myself it was obviously a moment of madness by whoever made the choice đ
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Film, storytelling – psychic distance again – and looking under the bonnet in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
Sorry for delay in replying to your very interesting thoughts @libby, but I’ve been neck deep in work lately.
Re modernists etc using the techniques and ideas of psychic distance before Gardner codified it. Yes, absolutely, a large measure of what he was doing was identifying techniques that were already out there. I would suggest that his…[Read more]
-
RichardB replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 2 months ago
Congratulations to you too, Kate. We may be a small group of people here on the Den, but we’re talented…
-
RichardB replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 2 months ago
Thank you, Ath. I’ve only just this minute found out myself, and I’m still taking it in. Oh, and thanks too for your challenge, without which it would never have been written.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition July 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 2 months ago
Well done, Sandra. Another great competition. And well done to my co-competitors. Two top-notch entries. Congratulations, Alex. A nice twisty yarn!
-
Sandra posted an update 4 years, 2 months ago
July’s monthly comp winner is up – #1 from a superb selection of entries – thank you!
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition July 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 2 months ago
Only three entries depicting Andrewâs possible future, but each of a quality and breadth of imagination that makes the judging, the choosing of a âwinnerâ extremely difficult.
Knicks opening sentence an instant hook, her choice of verbs ÂŹâ âbreathing hitchedâ, corner of mouth âkicked upâ â is inspirational, and Andrew initially appears to have co…[Read more] - Load More
