-
Sandra replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 2: Character 1 – Outer Worlds in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 10 months agoLike Squidge, this is an alien way of working for me, but … I need a murderer. One who isn’t immediately identified as such. (And while I know the (probable) victim I don’t know why or how) so I’ll be attempting to discover him (probably him) with this approach.
-
Kate replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 2: Character 1 – Outer Worlds in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoI haven’t finished this chapter yet, but I’m already fascinated. Love the Sloane rule that speech ‘must do more than one thing or it is too inert for the purposes of fiction.’
And the example of the argument about sinking the oil rigs was an eye opener – to engage us emotionally in a disagreement, the characters must have an emotional stake in…[Read more]
-
Squidge replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 2: Character 1 – Outer Worlds in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoI’ll try…but it feels so unnatural! Maybe I’ll have to do two exercises – one that challenges and one that feels more natural?!
-
Squidge replied to the topic Writing Practice: Year 1 in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoI bought myself an academic diary and I’m jotting in it things I do connected to writing, especially to do with this MA.
I don’t write every day, so my target is to have at least one, hopefully two sessions a week. I’m currently NaNoing, so that’s changed the focus somewhat over this month.
I also want to go back to blogging more regularly again…[Read more] -
Squidge replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 2: Character 1 – Outer Worlds in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoThis will be interesting for me – I don’t normally have a clear picture of a character up front – they develop as I write them – so the character questionnaire will be a real challenge. Do I stick with how I usually work or try something new…?
-
Kate replied to the topic Feedback on the Course in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoThanks for all your hard work @woolleybeans.
-
Kate replied to the topic Writing Practice: Year 1 in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoNice summary @JaneShuff. I think you’re right – it’s about getting in the mindset of making notes and creating work regularly. I read an interesting quote from Ira Glass about closing the gap between what you want to be creating and where you are now. That was all about doing a big volume of work and having deadlines. It’s back to the old idea of…[Read more]
-
Kate replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 11 months ago
Congratulations, John. I loved your yo-yo story. And thanks for organising, Ath.
-
John S Alty started the topic Monthly Comp – November 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 11 months ago
OK, I realise there is other stuff going on to occupy you, so let’s keep this simple, and seasonal:
About 400 words on “Falling Leaves”
Have fun! -
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 11 months ago
Well, there’s a pleasant surprise for a Sunday morning! Thanks, Ath, and thank you fellow Denizens.
I’ll ponder a new prompt and put it up later today. -
Barny replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 11 months ago
Well done, John. And thanks Ath!
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 11 months ago
Well done, John, and the Honourables, and thanks Ath for the prompting of a memory.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 11 months ago
Oops! Sorry all – got my days mixed up, but anyway, super quality this month.
Sandra – Time to play
Yes! That’s exactly the feeling: that unexpected memory. There’s a lot in these few words. Oddly enough I was thinking about the ‘play’ that’s so often missing from writing, quite recently. So easy to assume that a reverential approach will produc…[Read more] -
Kate replied to the topic Feedback on the Course in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoWorks for me. I’ve got my journal ready, just haven’t written in it yet! But a step in the right direction.
-
Squidge replied to the topic Feedback on the Course in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoAll OK here – finding the time to do the writing is hard at the mo, so I need to work on that, but the timings aren’t unachievable. Just that my life needs to calm down!! When does Class 2 go up?
-
Sandra replied to the topic Feedback on the Course in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoI’m a bit of a sleeping partner in this; not fully committed, so will dip in and out, attempting to keep to time structure and maybe lax in commenting.
-
Bella replied to the topic Feedback on the Course in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoYes, all good for me, too. Thank you x
-
Squidge posted an update 6 years, 11 months ago
@janeshuff – I’ll try to find you. And yes, it all looks very different on NaNo from my first ever visit in June.
-
Squidge replied to the topic Class 1: Writing exercise, Squidge in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoTa all! The substance in question was, I believe, CBD oil; two gents were having a very animated discussion about setting up in business to supply it.
@Raine – I am a death-dreamer, too! I’ve been shot, drowned, stabbed – really weird to feel my life ebbing away in the dream.
I think the forced thing is definitely due to the fact that I try to…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Raine. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoRead your dialogue soon after a trip to Mull. Wish I had the memory to write down what I hear i passing. And your ‘I remember blue tiles and the smell of drains and old food.’ sums it up; as you say above, you only need a couple of telling details.
- Load More
