Keep at it, Keep at it!

About Forums Den of Writers Blogs Keep at it, Keep at it!

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Libby.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Doug
    Participant

Hi all,

I turn 59 next month, getting up to the age where you’re growing conscious of your own mortality. When I was a teen, why I could do anything! I took it for granted I was gonna live forever! When I gave in to my writing life-calling at 27, I still had my whole life ahead of me. But not so now.

The trouble is, I’ve wasted a lot of time spinning my wheels as if I were still young. Two short stories and a rough draft of a novel; it was taking forever to get them done. Meanwhile Athena, my muse, keeps kissing me with new ideas. It’s great to get that little burst of excitement, but I hate the thought of dying before I write them down. Even if they’re never published, I at least want to get them into decent shape on paper.

So this past week I resolved to get off my duff. A story I call “Trade You Valentine’s Day for Halloween” is currently in the Critters queue, waiting for its turn. And I’ve additionally researched, and revised, a story about a time-jumping Holocaust Denier that was critiqued on Critters. And the novel rough draft? Done.

I’m sharing this partly because, I don’t want to stop now! Short bursts of productivity followed by long periods of languor, is not how I want the rest of my life to go.

I have sense enough not to stress, but I don’t want to drag my feet either. I’m finding it best to follow Master Bradbury’s four words of advice: WORK, RELAX, and DON’T THINK.

Cheers
    ~Doug

Libby
    Participant

Congratulations, Doug. Sounds like you’re on a roll. It’s lovely having that feeling of not wanting to stop.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.