Just a few days left for the Monthly Competition. Hurry, hurry, hurry!
Just a few days left for the Monthly Competition. Hurry, hurry, hurry!
powered by bulletin

Secure posting area?

About Forums Den of Writers The Writers’ Lifeboat Secure posting area?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan
    Participant

Good morning, Denizens! Question: not sure if this is the right place to ask, but what do people think about having a secure (password protected) section for posting pieces for critique where you would rather them not be visible to search engines? It could be a group but rather than one group per WIP, perhaps how about a group into which any and all work which we would like to keep private can be submitted. That way, we can workshop pieces that people want to enter for publication, comps etc, without falling foul of any messy first rights business. Thoughts?

• This topic was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Jonathan.
    Sandra
    Participant

Why not secure groups per wip, invited/accepted folk only? Nested below/within a Critique section? Surely mixing them up would soon become unwieldy.

RichardB
    Participant

Closed groups is what we used to do on the Word Cloud, and it seemed to work okay. With a communal password-protected area, how would you keep the password secure and at the same time make it accessible to those who want it? With a closed group per WIP, the owner has complete power over who can see it. and it’s easy enough to find if you click on ‘Groups.’

Daedalus
    Participant

I quite like the idea of a more generalised private critique group for shorter pieces. Groups for each WIP work with novels, but I feel might be a bit unwieldy for shorts, as you’d have to round up new critiquers every time

Jonathan
    Participant

Thanks guys. I suppose my issue with groups-per-wip is they tend (to me) to become a bit of a maintenance hog. Also, it seems quite separated from everything else in that you see only that WIP, and never happen upon anything else. If someone just wants to post one small piece of a work-in-progress, I wonder if setting up a whole group for it could be offputting. Also, personally I’ve never been *totally* comfortable with sending out invites for things (hehe, boohoo, eh?!) and in a way prefer simply putting it out there, making it relatively visible within the secure context, and seeing who bites in a more organic, less formalised way. Obviously if people want a group for their WIP then that’s fine, but for those smaller, more piecemeal bits, I wonder how some sort of provision for them would go over. Anyway, let’s see what people say and how things lie.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Jonathan.
    Jonathan
    Participant

@RichardB good point. I suppose it would be a group in itself, admin’ed by whichever subset of people want the task, with the “accept members” functionality providing the security.

Raine
    Participant

I guess in terms of posting small snippets of a wip, or short stories, a closed group has the advantages of privacy, and control over who sees it. Where-as a public post in the Forum will prob get more feedback, allow you to interact with members you dont know as well, but you still have the option of deleting the topic if you want to.

Experience from the CLoud I think showed that a lot of groups set up for specific things (private or public) tended to die a death. The ones that stuck around were small critique groups set up by a group of writers who had a commonality, e.g. the course groups. OTher than those, the main Critique Forum was the only place where wip or short critiques remained constantly active.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.