Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc

About Forums Den of Writers Blogs Some notes on Dara Marks' Transformational Arc

This topic contains 35 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Raine 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Philippa East
    Participant

@kazg, thanks so much for that link.

And you’ve expressed above so beautifully my exact thoughts on story structure – including the necessity of balancing all our technical knowledge with room for the subconscious to speak.

Daedalus
    Participant

Wooooah! I’ve just had a massive revelation about my MC. I thought that he accepted the necessary change, but it just turned out badly. I actually think he got completely the wrong idea about what change was needed, spectacularly FAILED to change…and that’s what ends badly.

KazG
    Participant

Wow! That’s a powerful revelation, @daedalus. (And also a powerful validation of how story works according to this arc, no? And the fact that you didn’t even realise until just now is kind of spine tinglingly spooky, like you can’t trick the subconscious who just KNOWS what works a whole lot better than the conscious).

Daedalus
    Participant

Yes, it was a bit of a million candlepower searchlight moment. In a sense, it’s not that the MC doesn’t try to change, he just completely misinterprets the kind of change he needs. He (and I) had been thinking it was one thing, and it was actually almost the opposite.

Philippa East
    Participant

That’s great insight! I guess this is what we mean by the “lie” that our characters labour under. (Their misunderstanding about how the world works and what is needed of them) Our stories will have tragic ends if our characters never learn to see through the lies they are living by.

Raine
    Participant

That’s amazing @daedalus!! SO exciting! Although not for him, obv. For him that’s the ultimate defeat *sobs offscreen*. And I love it when you realise something, and there’s that ‘well, yes, *obviously*’ feeling to it. Like that facet of your story was there all along, you just hadn’t spotted it. So good.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.