@bellam
Active 3 months, 1 week ago-
John S Alty replied to the topic The disclaimer jar – advice on attitude to one's writing in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 12 months ago
You have to blow your own trumpet, no-one is going to blow it for you.
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic The disclaimer jar – advice on attitude to one's writing in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 12 months ago
Interesting. If I’m asking people for feedback and it’s the first time for us both, I try to signal that I know the piece of work isn’t perfect/finished and that I am genuinely hoping to be told what doesn’t work. Is that self-deprecating? I don’t think so. But I wouldn’t express doubts in a cover letter because it does beg the question as to why…[Read more]
-
Sandra started the topic The disclaimer jar – advice on attitude to one's writing in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 12 months ago
I came across an article by Philip Hensher talking about a piece of attitude-changing advice he received as a schoolboy: ‘Don’t apologise, don’t denigrate something you’ve created.’
Some of the informal writing gatherings I’ve been to share the same attitude – having spent ten minutes writing a piece using given prompt word, those who say, when…[Read more]
-
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 12 months ago
Thanks, Giselle. You’d do well to duck.
-
Giselle replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
I love this thread!
Richard, wow, brilliant writing. That disjointedness works so well.
Whenever I have to write violence I think of Silence of the Lambs, when you really don’t see/read that much, but the tension is huge. Lots of small suggestions can build on our inner fears.
Janeshuff, so happy that you’ve found the solution! Now, all you…[Read more]
-
-
-
Philippa East posted an update 8 years ago
Have fixed that stupid chapter. Didn’t have to delete the whole thing after just had to write a new opening and make the rest a resolution rather than an inciting incident. Yeah, don’t worry, it’s making sense in my head. I hope.
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
I do love a good pow.
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Example Cover Letter in the forum Blogs 8 years ago
Hi @Alanr
Sounds like a plan. My understanding of the “read our books before you submit” guideline is to help prospective authors determine whether their own MS would be a good fit. I’m sure you’ll quickly work this out by consuming a few of their titles to see if your own seems similar in style and flavour. Good luck! -
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 8 years ago
Never Judge a Book
No, sir, we don’t hold property any more. Not since 1 October. Yes, you did just miss out. Yes, if it was a gold bar we probably would look after it and if you ever find one of those on a park bench then don’t hesitate to come straight here. But this is a book. Well, look after it but leave us the details and we’ll conta…[Read more]
-
-
-
John S Alty posted an update 8 years ago
Back from a few days in Mallorca, wonderful, now ready to get down to this month’s competition. Something about a bloke in a greatcoat playing a banjo, lamenting the loss of his spell book, if I remember right.
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
Pow, @kazg, you got it!
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Example Cover Letter in the forum Blogs 8 years ago
Not yet… although I think I started Francis Plug: How to Be a Public Author.
I like the sound of them as a publisher, if you’re going for the literary / experimental end of the spectrum.
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
Ha, Kaz! Have you snuck into my house and been reading over my shoulder? That’s pretty much where I’d got to – thanks in no small part to this thread. I was avoiding the scene and the complicated POV didn’t help. However I think, by making it somehow trigger a flashback to the earlier scene where she is beaten up by her husband and making her feel…[Read more]
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
And Philippa, I’m just trying to collect my thoughts to DM you…
- Load More
