@bellam
Active 3 months, 1 week ago-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – September 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years ago
After the Gathering
I shan’t go next year.
I mean, Tom wasn’t there. Jackie spent the whole evening talking to Spence and nobody can get a word in with those two. And Pete. That was a shock. Pete’s joined the choir eternal. Playing three-card brag with St Peter more like.
‘So you don’t have to.’ That was his thing. I remember when he broke hi…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – September 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years ago
On my third attempt. The previous two kept wanting to turn into short stories!
-
Squidge posted an update 4 years ago
Dipping in to say hi… ridiculously busy at the mo with Life, so barely time to breathe, let alone write! How is everyone doing at the moment, following the Queen’s death? Whether you’re for the monarchy or not, it seems to have impacted nearly everyone I’ve spoken to in some way, shape, or form. Sending hugs if you need them x
-
Doing well (I think). Similarly busy, especially yesterday when I was included in a tale of lost keys which necessitated a drive from Worthing to London and back.
-
Even for a republican like me it does feel like the end of an era. Thinking about how as a Scout we had to make promises to do our duty to the Queen etc, and every time you see a post box or a coin, or hear The King, it feels strange. Very few people have known anything different – @athelstone that sounds like an incredibly trying day, was it all…[Read more]
-
Yes, no harm done, thanks.
-
Oh blimey, Ath…can imagine that being rather stressful.
-
Busy here too, but yes, life seems to feel ‘on hold’ as we witness the end of an era. While not being an ardent Royalist, I did have a lot of respect for a queen who was the unwavering anchor for her family, showing how publicity could be done properly without scandalous revelations. I think I shall miss her.
-
-
-
-
I had a very strong (and somewhat unexpected) emotional reaction to the death. She has always loomed large in my life as my father is an ardent royalist. I’d expected to feel a bit sad, as I did when Prince Philip died, but I burst into tears when I heard the news. We were in Scotland and very nearly passed the cortege from Balmoral to Edinburgh…[Read more]
-
-
Athelstone posted an update 4 years ago
Any more takers for the annual Short Story Challenge? There’s still time to join the “All You Need” group and make a couple of simple choices. The group closes and becomes private on Sunday evening, 22:00 UK time. It’s an easy way in for 6 months of fun and anticipation.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – August 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 1 month ago
Well done @clebs. I said it’s excellent – and it is!
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – August 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 1 month ago
Congratulations, Clebs, a well-twisted tale. And thanks Alex for a prompt which produced such variety.
-
Athelstone posted an update 4 years, 1 month ago
Another reminder to all Denizens. The annual short-story challenge is awake once more. If you haven’t joined already, you only have until 11 September to join the group ALL YOU NEED and make a couple of choices.
And to those who HAVE joined, choices must be made by that same date in order to enter the challenge. -
Athelstone replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoAh, I see.
Cf. my choice
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoI think the choices this year are kinder than they have ever been, really. In there impact on a possible story that is.
-
Athelstone posted an update 4 years, 1 month ago
Still today and tomorrow left for a crack at the monthly comp. GO ON! You know you want to really. Give Alex some work to do with his judging.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Edinburgh book festival 2022 programme in the forum Coffee Shop 4 years, 1 month ago
A ‘critical reading course’ sounds exactly what I need, (and I’ve a couple of books on the course list) but despite several books on ‘How to’, and the Future Learn course using the James Tait Black shortlists, I’ve realised my brain doesn’t work that way. Hope you get what you want from it. I’ve several books from the Festival added to my…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Edinburgh book festival 2022 programme in the forum Coffee Shop 4 years, 1 month ago
And now that Edinburgh’s book festival is over, I need to thank you again for the heads up – so many hours of pleasure, not to say inspiration.
-
Knicks replied to the topic How to reach out to a speculative fiction editor? in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 4 years, 1 month ago
Thank you both, @richardb and @katemachon; Kate, the info on your process, experience and end results was especially illuminating. Thanks so much! ✨
-
Athelstone posted an update 4 years, 1 month ago
An apology to some of the more active users of this site. The absolute last thing we need is your posts going astray, but that has happened. A while back we had some anti-spam software that blocked posts with internet links embedded, but this has been removed. Unfortunately, unknown to us, the same function is buried in the very plug-in that…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Film, storytelling – psychic distance again – and looking under the bonnet in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
Just come across this while procrastinating and would firstly say I found it fascinating. I know I lack analytical skills and rarely watch films, finding them lacking compared to books, so your post, Daeds, and subsequent comments, have opened my eyes to a new way of viewing – I’ll come back and re-read several times more – so thank you.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoHaving a love story already bubbling in my head, I need to change my choice of place to Yarm, but will stick (in finger-crossed ignorance) to ‘Yes there is’.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic The Price of Coal: Senghenydd, 1913 in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
You have a calm, authoratative voice that is perfect for these blogs, Richard. I start one of these and it’s like eating something delicious: I can’t stop until it’s finished.
On the topic itself: it’s reassuring to think that we’ve come a long way since those unreconstructed days of holy capital. Then I consider the unreported disaster that has…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – August 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 1 month ago
Change for the better?
I was born in Dovercourt, Essex, in my paternal grandparent’s house, to which they’d moved when my father was five years old. He, being still in the RAF was told of my arrival by telegram. The house was small; too small for five adults (my father’s sister lived there too) and baby, but we lived there for several years…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoMy choices, courtesy of Jules (on my behalf)
Town: Old Sodbury
Choice: No there isn’t
-
Jules replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoTown – Droop
Choice – yes there is
- Load More
