@bellam
Active 3 months, 1 week ago-
Sandra replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Raine. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoRead your dialogue soon after a trip to Mull. Wish I had the memory to write down what I hear i passing. And your ‘I remember blue tiles and the smell of drains and old food.’ sums it up; as you say above, you only need a couple of telling details.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Class 1 Writing exercise, Sandra in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoAnd this a long ago piece deliberately adopting a Neolithic voice:
Always an edge to beware, to be aware of.
First at Liddle had been slabs, as thick as three of her three-year fingers, flat patterned stone, hard and often sharp when new, both separating bed from bed and on which they lay, degree of comfort dependent on the depth and newness of…[Read more]
-
Sandra started the topic Class 1 Writing exercise, Sandra in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoI decided not to buy the books and would prefer to dip in and out on this, so herewith my contribution.
I remember a Christmas, the dining table, taller than me, piled as high again with presents (and bigger ones beneath) and the focus of five adults, all on me.
I remember my Dad laughing on a Sunday morning when stopped by a policeman for…[Read more] -
Squidge posted an update 6 years, 11 months ago
Heads up for anyone who fancies a one-day writing conference? Writing East Mids run a day, (28th March 2020), this year at Lincoln Uni. Costs £60 if you book an early bird ticket before end Nov, £70 otherwise. Concessions available, lunch and tea/coffee provided.
I’m booked on…anyone else fancy it?
-
Squidge replied to the topic Class 1: Writing exercise, Squidge in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoMy dreams have been a lot worse over the last few nights. Think if I wrote THEM down, I’d be strapped to a psychiatrist’s chair… 😉 Thanks, Kaz and Hil x
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoWhen I’ve done courses in the past on other things as well as writing, we’ve often either kept a diary or shared ‘reflections’ on each section and what we thought we learned from it. I’ve found this very helpful both to clarify my own thoughts and to see what others gained. Plus it was interesting to see what different things people got from the…[Read more]
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Bumbling Round the Citadel in the forum Blogs 6 years, 11 months ago
Fascinating tale, Philippa, well done for sticking it out to a triumphant end. Looking forward to reading the book.
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Story idea in the forum Coffee Shop 6 years, 11 months ago
I couldn’t do this idea justice. The right person could really build the tension and explore the changing relationships of the three characters as the story builds. Interesting project for someone, but not me.
-
Athelstone started the topic The truth about – back then (part 2) in the forum Blogs 6 years, 11 months ago
Well, I got away with the last one so this is another blog from the Word Cloud. Apologies again to former Cloudies who remember it. To repeat myself, it’s worth saying straight out that I’m also sorry if they seem too locker-room in style. The male gaze is overused and far less important than male writers suppose. But the blogs are who I was…[Read more]
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Story idea in the forum Coffee Shop 6 years, 11 months ago
Ooo, it’s a bit like an updated spin on Dead Calm!
BTW – don’t assume you won’t write this idea. I almost gave an idea once… but then realised actually I wanted to write it myself!
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Bumbling Round the Citadel in the forum Blogs 6 years, 11 months ago
Aw, you star, Jane!!! Thank you so much!! It really means a lot
BTW You are in the acknowledgements 🙂
xx -
Philippa East replied to the topic Bumbling Round the Citadel in the forum Blogs 6 years, 11 months ago
Hi Athelstone! And thanks.
Yes, I’m currently planning a launch party for February (whoop!). It will likely be in Lincoln, and you will all be welcome! Details to follow once I’ve sorted them out… -
JaneShuff replied to the topic Bumbling Round the Citadel in the forum Blogs 6 years, 11 months ago
You certainly had a lot of ups and downs but congratulations for sticking with it all the way. I am so looking forward to reading it and have just pre-ordered it.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Bumbling Round the Citadel in the forum Blogs 6 years, 11 months ago
Well the story of the book is seriously interesting, so I can hardly wait to get my copy.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
party? -
JaneShuff replied to the topic Chaos and Catastrophe: Radstock, 1876 in the forum Blogs 6 years, 11 months ago
Incredible! Fifteen year olds in charge! Great blog.
-
-
Hilary replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Raine. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoYES about the detail. So evocative.
-
Hilary replied to the topic Class 1 Writing Exercise, Jane in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoSorry you’re feeling that way, Jane. It’s great that we can support one another with or without feedback – glad you posted anyway.
-
Hilary replied to the topic Class 1: Writing exercise, Squidge in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoI love the bit of dialogue about the peas.
I found the listening exercise very hard. Tried it again the other day. I would need to be very close or the speakers would need to be very loud!
Interesting about trying to write ‘gorgeous’ when you don’t feel you normally do. A good exercise, though, to try a different approach. Scary dream! -
JaneShuff replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 11 months ago
Her Granny’s face beamed through the steam rising from the jug that she clutched to her chest as though it was a precious jewel.
‘Surprise,’ she said.
Lily looked carefully at her. What could it be? Her plate was complete; a piece of white fish at the top; sweet corn balanced on the left; and mashed potato carefully piled to one side. She’d…[Read more]
- Load More
