@bellam
Active 3 months, 1 week ago-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 3 months ago
Any more takers? Last chance today. That could be the subject.
-
Terrie replied to the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 3 months ago
Just pulled the last bit of candy floss from my brain, looked at some famous last quotes “Julius ‘Groucho’ Marx and Noel Coward.” Played with some authors and their book titles, used some well know sayings and came up with this bit of fluff.
<u>The last question</u>
I was surprised when the invite appeared mysteriously on my lap.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Positivity in the forum Blogs 1 year, 3 months ago
Jill, it’s so good to hear from you again, in spite of what you’ve been, and are, going through.
I think any response that isn’t on a level with your own experience of positivity is likely to sound trivial, or at least less significant. But it is a fascinating topic. It’s often said that realists have a less positive expectation of outcome, but…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 3 months ago
Two fabulous stories and still half of the month to try your hand. What luck!
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Richard's Literary Byways: Pavane, by Keith Roberts in the forum Blogs 1 year, 4 months ago
It was, and still is, a very good blog indeed. I remember it well, and on the strength of your recommendation I bought Pavane. It is a unique book, with an extraordinary atmosphere. Since reading it I’ve returned many times to check on parts and to reread. It really is remarkable that it isn’t better known. It’s somewhat depressing that a book so…[Read more]
-
Terrie replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
Congratulations, Ath, for your interpretation with a twist and well done Sandra, Sea and Libby as well.
I enjoyed everyone’s entries.
Its always interesting to see others take on a challenge prompt.
-
Athelstone started the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
It’s been on my mind that during this month I will begin the last year of my sixth decade. The topic this month is the last of something. So, whatever that suggests to you, good, bad, indifferent, in a maximum of 500 words.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
When I say that I seriously didn’t think I’d win – I mean it. There was a fistful of really great entries. Thanks to Janette for the prompt and to my co-entrants for some great entertainment.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
Congratulations Athelstone, and thanks to Terrie, Sea and Libby for their responses to Janette’s May challenge – all so entertaining – and for the summing up.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
May
The cactus on the table, out there on the decking, it’s gone mad. Look there are four new paddle things growing off it. Mr Hoskins from next door says they’re called “cladodes”. He should know, seeing as he’s a botanist or something at the college. It’s a modified stem, apparently, which serves the function of a leaf. He came over for a cup o…[Read more]
-
Terrie replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
Renewal Dance
Below a patchy canopy of leaves, sunlight falls in dusted shafts of light, highlighting small tufts of fluffy-winged seeds, spiralling and soaring in the breeze and somewhere, within the cool, dark, caverns of under-earth, the chime of rock, root and soil begins its soft, ceaseless, song of renewal.
Stirred from slumber beneath the…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 5 months ago
Lyrical determination (thin on legend)
2001, around eleven, on the first day of May, lying on a sun-striped bed in an attic studio, John Martyn exhorted, ‘May you never’, in a voice fluffy and worn as the sheet beneath them and a saxophone further ramped up lust while Fran Lloyd satisfactorily surrendered her virginity to Ivo Kinnersley. Ivo,…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition April 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 5 months ago
Oh BOTHER! So sorry, Libby. I confess I found the prompt a little tricky, but I was getting the start of an idea. Then I got myself involved with something and forgot all about it.
Well done to all three entrants, especially Janette. I liked the stories very much.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition April 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 5 months ago
Well done Janette for and Seagreen for such entertaining tales, and thank you Libby for forcing me into finding new characters to deal with this tricky prompt. I was grateful for the part played by Google.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition April 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 5 months ago
Three sleeps become one [342 words]
Odd the way memory works, Changes shape and emphasis as one grows older. For me, hearing myself echoing my mother’s faux cheery encouragement as she told me and Robin, my brother, ‘So, you’ll be staying with Granny and Grandad Trent for a little while. Just three sleeps – ‘ shocked me. That I was …. not ex…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic New novel from Kate Machon! in the forum Podium 1 year, 6 months ago
Really well deserved. I love the fact that you carried the two MCs along for ages and are reaping the rewards!
-
Knicks replied to the topic Monthly competition March 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 6 months ago
Thanks for the kind words, @sandradavies! I appreciate it. And congratulations to you, Libby! I enjoyed yours and every other entry coming out of this prompt. It was a good one 🙂
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition March 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 6 months ago
You may not have expected it, but you should believe it, Libby. really sharp story there.
Thanks, Sandra. I enjoyed that prompt. And thanks to all the other entrants; I really enjoyed reading through them this month.
-
Sandra posted an update 1 year, 6 months ago
March competition winner declared, and I urge everyone to read the half dozen entries as evidence of the strength and breadth of talent in the Den, and thank Athelstone, for providing the venue.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition March 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 6 months ago
And, at close of play, I confess I find myself reeling at the richness of the offerings sparked by this ptompt, and rather than daunted by the necessity of choosing a winner, feeling well rewarded by the pleasures of reading them – thank you all.
<u>Terrie</u>’s single word of denial sparked instant interest, and maintained it with phrases suc…[Read more]
- Load More
