-
Libby replied to the topic The Price of Coal: Senghenydd, 1913 in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
Thank you for a fascinating blog, Richard.
I don’t know that things improved when coal was nationalised. The Aberfan disaster suggests not but I don’t know the details. It seems that in general workers in all industries had to wait for health and safety legislation and that the general public sill has a long road ahead of applying pressure when…[Read more]
-
Daedalus replied to the topic The Price of Coal: Senghenydd, 1913 in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
I was just reading up on Gresford following this and noticed one striking coincidence. The name of an MP who castigated the mine’s management during a debate in parliament following the inquiry’s mealy-mouthed conclusions:
David Grenfell…
-
-
Libby replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoWelston
No, there is not
-
-
-
Libby replied to the topic Film, storytelling – psychic distance again – and looking under the bonnet in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
Hi @Daedalus
Thanks for taking time out to answer my thoughts.
I hadn’t thought of it that way before, that film/video is better at placing significant information in the background of shots. That’s something that can be difficult in writing — at least I find it difficult — and often requires a setting to be introduced earlier than the.…[Read more]
-
Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
2014-15 – Here and There
2015-16 – Not in Kansas Any More
2016-17 – Now and Then
2017-18 – Whispers and Glances
2018-19 – A Room with a View
Those were the ones I took part in. I think there may have been one or two before I joined the Cloud, one of them called Intercity.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
And quite right it is too!
Am I right in supposing that at least three of the four listed stories from Denizens were from Den or Cloud winter challenges? (Mine was from the 2016-17 challenge, which iirc was the penultimate one to be wholly staged on the Cloud)
-
Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Brilliant news Richard – a fantastic story that absolutely deserves the recognition, and that goes for the writer too
-
Libby replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Brilliant news, Richard! Many congratulations.
And Kate too. Really good.
-
Kate replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Is that yours in second place, Richard!! Huge congratulations.
-
Kate replied to the topic How to reach out to a speculative fiction editor? in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 4 years, 1 month ago
Hi Knicks – what sort of editorial review are you looking for. There is the pretty standard book doctor report, a deeper developmental edit that I’ve heard of offered by Jericho, or mentoring.
I’ve recently gone down the mentoring path, because I wanted the opportunity for some personal back and forth with an editor, rather than just a book…[Read more]
-
-
Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Congrats to the long and shortlistees! I’ve only just noticed that my story was on the longlist – as I’d already resigned myself to not being listed, missing out on the shortlist does not come as a blow, but I’m delighted for Richard and Kate, best of luck to both of you!
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Film, storytelling – psychic distance again – and looking under the bonnet in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
Sorry for delay in replying to your very interesting thoughts @libby, but I’ve been neck deep in work lately.
Re modernists etc using the techniques and ideas of psychic distance before Gardner codified it. Yes, absolutely, a large measure of what he was doing was identifying techniques that were already out there. I would suggest that his…[Read more]
-
Kate replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
I’m on the shortlist too. Nice to have such excellent company. Congratulations.
-
Libby started the topic Writing for the market in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
From Homing: on pigeons, dwellings and why we return by Jon Day. It’s my current read.
“One of the readers for Darwin’s publisher of On the Origin of Species, a clergyman named Whitwell Elwin, called the book ‘a wild & foolish piece of imagination, for an outline it is too much & for a thorough discussion of the question it is not near enough.’ R…[Read more]
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly competition July 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 2 months ago
Congratulations @alex . Well deserved.
I loved Ath’s and Knicks’ stories too. So atmospheric and full of life’s complications.
-
Libby replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 2 months ago
Congratulations to both of you. Good luck for the shortlist.
- Load More
