@daisydown
Active 6 years, 11 months ago-
Philippa East replied to the topic Bumbling Round the Citadel in the forum Blogs 6 years, 11 months ago
Hah hah, yeah! Well, I suppose I could have not bothered reading the page proofs and just left it to the proof reader. But when I asked other authors, they all advised checking myself, saying I would KICK myself down the line if I spotted typos I could have caught! TBH though, I’ll take page proofs over structural edits any day!
-
Squidge replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Sea in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoLove it! It was Donny Osmond for me, but not for very long. Adam Ant pushed him out!
For I remember, I think we naturally turn to the most impactful memories – the really good or bad or unusual ones. I wonder if we tried to do a specifically ‘good’ version, how different it would be. Or how hard it would be to pick out those kind of memories?
-
Squidge replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Hilary in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoOh, Hil – your I remember struck a chord, as we’ve done this recently about people we’ve loved and lost to prepare an artwork for a community project exhibition (I blogged about it just today). Sending hugs – it’s never easy to do.
Hope your time with your grandson helped ease the pain – you certainly got some interesting snippets! Love the belly…[Read more]
-
Squidge started the topic Class 1: Writing exercise, Squidge in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoSo I plumped for an ‘overheard dialogue’, and a ‘write gorgeous’ option.
Overheard dialogue: found this really hard! I was too interested in the conversations to get them written down or couldn’t keep up. And I was in a pub, so lots going on around me. However, here’s what I did catch:
(in passing)
I’m like, Shit! And I’m thinking…Talk to…[Read more]
-
Philippa East started the topic Bumbling Round the Citadel in the forum Blogs 6 years, 11 months ago
Hello Denizens,
Following up on my previous two blogs (which you can find here and here), here is the latest instalment on my publishing journey. I hope it is useful to you and good luck to everyone for whatever stage you’re at in your own writing journey xxxDecember 2018
As you may recall, on 4th December 2018, I officially accepted a two-book…[Read more] -
Athelstone replied to the topic The truth about – back then in the forum Blogs 6 years, 11 months ago
Thank you, Kaz. Do you think this might count as an “I remember” exercise?
-
Woolleybeans replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoI have to say, my Twain dialect sounds a lot like my Of Mice and Men California dialect – that is, they more sound to be from Barnsley.
I have not done any exercises yet. I did I Remember for another thing a few weeks ago and I think confusion might be something that fixes memories for me!
-
Athelstone replied to the topic The truth about – back then in the forum Blogs 6 years, 11 months ago
Thanks Gerry and Richard. Oh, and Richard – more rails. Definitely.
-
RichardB replied to the topic The truth about – back then in the forum Blogs 6 years, 11 months ago
Thanks for this. I remember your ‘The Truth About…’ blogs on the Cloud, and used to enjoy them immensely: perceptive (Isn’t hindsight wonderful?), moving, and uncompromisingly honest. This one is no exception.
And yes, there has been a sad dearth of blogs lately. Maybe it’s time for another tale of the rails…
-
Jules replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoI’ve read the chapters for both books. (The gorgeous passages got declaimed loudly in the library in my lunch break – had a lot of fun with the Twain dialect.) Not started on the exercises yet but I might manage some I remembers tomorrow 😁
-
Athelstone started the topic The truth about – back then in the forum Blogs 6 years, 11 months ago
How long is it since we had a blog?
It’s been a funny few weeks for me. But never mind all that. This is a blog from the Word Cloud, so apologies to former Cloudies who remember it. I may post a couple more of these blogs as well, so it’s worth saying straight out that I’m also sorry if they seem too locker-room in style. They are who I was.
The…[Read more]
-
Woolleybeans replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Raine. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoLove the dialogue, Raine. Did you do that as you listened?
The I Remember is highly evocative! It’s turned into a piece about your Grandad, hasn’t it?
-
Barny replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 12 months ago
Memories, memories
Through a mane of blonde hair, through streaks of bleached and of darker dyed strands, her eyes flickered upwards. “Can I help you, sir?”
Behind me the door hissed shut expensively, hinges well greased by wills and probates. “Do yer know where Bryant Street is?”
“I umm… don’t know.” She bent her head back down to the screen…[Read more]
-
Squidge replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Bella. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoNoice. I like how the I remember sequence in this case tells the story – I’ve only ever used it as disjointed memories previously, all loosely connected to a theme. This puts a totally different spin on the exercise. I had a similar experience, but in my case it was tapioca… 😉
-
Woolleybeans replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoI read the gorgeousness passages out whilst in the bath. One of my dogs came and listened, but I can’t say he looked overly impressed…
I think I see what she is saying about them, in terms of them having the sounds and so on as part of the prose, but I didn’t really like two of them on a personal level. The third one was the one that struck me…[Read more]
-
Woolleybeans replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoFinally read all of Chapter 1 in the Burroway book. It made lots of sense and I can already feel the details slipping away from me… To that end, I am going to try writing myself some summaries of the readings and see if they help it go into my memory better.
-
Squidge replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Raine. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoBlimey – you did well to get all that dialogue down, Raine! Loving the accent in it. And I remember is so poignant – some of what you’ve written seems so matter-of-fact, yet it is still so full of emotion. Like it.
-
Athelstone posted an update 6 years, 12 months ago
3 fabulous entries in the October Comp so far. Why not have a go?
-
Squidge posted an update 7 years ago
OK – sorry to ask again, but…
You know the captcha thing at login, where we say we’re not robots? I’ve logged in on 3 separate occasions today and when that page comes up, it’s counting down the number of attempts I can have, even though I’ve logged on successfully. Does this mean that we either have to stay logged in permanently to avoid the…[Read more]-
I don’t know the answer, Squidge, but I had the same thing yesterday.
-
Glad it’s not just me – thought I must be doing something wrong!
-
-
I’ve had this, Squidge, including being locked out for 20 minutes. Chrome and other Google-based browsers will try to keep you logged in and synced across sessions and devices, but it doesn’t always work well – or in some cases at all.
The Captcha plugin isn’t playing nicely with our setup and Jules is looking at it. Unfortunately, the alternative…[Read more]
-
-
Squidge replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoGood idea to beautify something already written…it might be easier than trying to do it from scratch if it’s not the way you naturally write.
- Load More
