@daisydown
Active 6 years, 11 months ago-
Philippa East replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
“Some of the stuff I see posted is very…not pretentious, exactly, but it is fairly obvious that for some on the courses, they are still at the experimental and learning stage which means they are sticking to tried and tested formulae in order to ‘make their way’ in the world.”
This is really interesting, @squidge. Can you describe more what you m…[Read more]
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Guidelines suggest not posting on the thread with the entries, until after judging is complete, but you can make a general discussion comment tagging the appropriate person. I think I have that correct.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Glad you asked that Jane, I was also wondering.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
Yes, Squidge – soon as I pressed ‘go’ I thought that myself!
-
Squidge replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
I think some ARE young, Sandra, but what I’ve seen of the Masters, it tends towards a fairly older crowd, often folks who’ve been doing other things in life first.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Sorry I was MIA recently – thanks to all for contributing and it looks as though you’ve all sorted things. Well done, going to look at new comp stuff now
-
Sandra replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
At the risk of sounding ageist, is it not the case that a high(ish) percentage of those doing degrees/Masters are quite young, and are unlikely to yet have the confidence/experience to ignore publishers et al?
-
Squidge replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
I think there is a different approach to writing if you do a degree/Masters in it. It’s almost as though, at the point of graduation, most folk have a perceived idea of what writing should be. Qualifying this because I know a creative writing lecturer, and am in a facebook group for one of the CW courses at a local uni. Some of the stuff I see…[Read more]
-
RichardB replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
Ah, Jonathan, you and I (and Harry) are thinking along the same lines. And yes, there is more. The full blog is here:
-
RichardB replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
When I was (a lot) younger I used to snort in contempt when I read in an author’s bio on a book cover, usually American in those days, that they had a degree in creative writing. Hah! I thought, either you got it or you ain’t. You can’t teach it like you can physics or history. It’s not hard and fast stuff like that.
Much later, after discovering…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
To some extent (not that I’ve done any really full-on writing courses, just SE, some reading and building on experience) I do notice that my very early writing has a freshness of approach that more recent, more self-conscious writing does not.
And I do cheer when I come across writers such as Eimear McBride and Eley Williams (both James Tait…[Read more]
-
John S Alty posted an update 7 years, 5 months ago
For anyone wishing to avoid me over on JT, I’m Wildman. (I’m not really wild at all, Wild is my mother’s maiden name).
I’m having fun trying to spot Denizens over there, it’s quite tricky. -
RichardB started the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
I came upon this gem of advice from The Fuehrer at JW:
One of the problem with all those MFA courses, those university diplomas in Creative Writing, the workshops, the peer-to-peer critiquing stuff is that writers end up with style all right . . . but they can all end up sounding the same.
Because we at Jericho Writers do a lot of editorial work…[Read more]
-
Squidge posted an update 7 years, 5 months ago
Anyone else been tagged by fellow ex-cloudies to say that the JW Townhouse is now free? Or does anyone in JW know anything about it? Not particularly tempted, but interested…I opted out of their mailings a while back.
-
I posted an update here a couple of days ago when JW issued an email. Some here have joined – some have not. The Forum looks far more useable than their last effort, but not many posts yet.
-
It could hardly have been worse! For me the Word Cloud was all about the people, the Cloudies, who made it what it was, and I don’t think Harry ever understood that. Let’s see what happens.
-
Yes, the Cloud was something very special, and I don’t know if that particular vibe can ever be recaptured. Though it has to be said that it had already soured before it vanished, due to the efforts of A Certain Person. My daughter has wide experience of forums devoted to her ruling passion, football, and when I told her about the souring of the…[Read more]
-
-
I’m giving it a tentative try but doubt the same vibes can be captured
-
-
-
RichardB replied to the topic Bi-Monthly Comp – May/June 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
You seem to have set a fire with your idea, Raine: even I’m having a go. Yet more apologies: 408 words.
The Last House
There’s freedom and there’s freedom. Sleeping rough and scavenging for food is freedom, but not the sort that appeals to me. And that’s exactly what I’ll be doing tonight if something doesn’t turn up. Another night’s B&B will…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Bi-Monthly Comp – May/June 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Drink with a dead man – and apologies, 410 words
Innocuous in colour as a Rich Tea biscuit, the envelope was angled so as to fit into the grey metal cell of the Post Restante box. Illuminated by the single bare bulb in the narrow passage between front and rear of the shop, the vertical/horizontal of the letter’s shadow made of it a hitman, w…[Read more]
-
Squidge replied to the topic Bi-Monthly Comp – May/June 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Apologies…409 words. 😉
By Tilda’s twenty-sixth attempt to produce an illuminorb, Silviu’s patience was wearing thin.
“Concentrate, Tilda,” the Ambakian powermage snapped.
“I am concentrating.” Tilda rubbed her palm against her trouser leg. It felt hot; surely she must’ve been close to pulling the Power down that time?
“Aga…[Read more]
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Bi-Monthly Comp – May/June 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Untitled
The pirogue nudged its way between the cypress stumps, lily pads parting in its path and reuniting in its wake. The only sounds came from the rustle of leaves in the slight breeze and the occasional slap and roil of a feeding bass. It was late afternoon; a low sun dappled the brown surface of the bayou and the shadows pointed like…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Bi-Monthly Comp – May/June 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
The Memory Thing
I think it was reproach: that look on his face; or maybe despair. I only had a second to work it out as he fell backwards onto the tracks. That’s an odd way to put it. I mean, I wasn’t actually trying to work anything out, let alone his expression. And I was shocked; I hardly registered what happened. This man, this young man…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly comp: Feb 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Fabulous piece, Raine.
- Load More
