Elle

  • Two super entries, both darkly entertaining. Perfect for a Halloween mood, maybe.

    Alex, love your dry style. I’ve been in that hotel and ironed that shirt for a meeting. Even drunk those beers. Never been in an earthquake though, unless you count the feeble growling that “hit” the south of England a few years back – much like a truck driving by.…[Read more]

  • Two cracking entries in the monthly comp. Still time to grab that kudos in the half day remaining!

  • Thea started the topic Free book in the forum Podium 3 years, 11 months ago

    At long last, my first novel is about to be published!

    Signum is the first instalment of The Serpents of Caesar historical fantasy series set in an alternate first century Europe – the Roman Empire, but not as we know it…

    If anyone would like a free ARC eBook of Signum, please message me and I will send you the link. It’s FREE for the next two w…[Read more]

  • Far TMI!! Our first autumn spider in the kitchen sink this morning (usually they wait until Steve’s away and I’m stark naked before ambushing).

  • October. In the UK and Western Europe, spiders are in evidence around our dwelling places at this time of year. Some believe that the cold weather brings them in, but it turns out they’re just looking for a bit of love and affection. They were always there. OK, I admit it, I don’t like them. Mainly they’re fine. I’ve held a tarantula, and most…[Read more]

  • Thanks for a wonderful prompt Clebs. I thoroughly enjoyed writing my piece and it feels as though it might develop a bit. Plus, you got a pretty wonderful bunch of other entries. Well done all.

  • Well deserved, Athelstone, and thank you Clebs for the topic which at least sent me back to the primary sources to size up the task again. Thanks to all entrants for a feast of post gathering events.

  • Not quite fulfilling the brief but it’s this or nothing.

    The post-gathering I should most like to write the aftermath of, did time and ability permit is the one which took place following the reading of the will of Thomas Hutchinson Goodfellow, my husband’s great-grandfather, following his death in Tottenham in 1891, age 73.
    That it was…[Read more]

  • Athelstone posted an update 4 years ago

    Just 5 days left for Clebs’ excellent monthly comp. Thinking-caps and writing-hands!

  • After the Gathering

    I shan’t go next year.

    I mean, Tom wasn’t there. Jackie spent the whole evening talking to Spence and nobody can get a word in with those two. And Pete. That was a shock. Pete’s joined the choir eternal. Playing three-card brag with St Peter more like.

    ‘So you don’t have to.’ That was his thing. I remember when he broke hi…[Read more]

  • Raine posted an update 4 years ago

    Hi all, just dropping by to catch up on the annual challenge & whisper that a previous challenge story (Bathymetry) has just won the British Fantasy Award for Best Short Fiction. So thank you all for being part of such an inspiring annual event. 🙂

    • A very fine story indeed. And Wikipedia agrees 🙂

    • Only one response? Shame on us, for that is really quite some achievement. I see illustrious names among the past winners, so many congratulations and I hope you’re feeling as proud as you deserve to be. I’ve said it before: we in the Den may be few, but we’re talented.

    • Kate replied 4 years ago

      That’s amazing news, Raine. Huge congratulations.

    • You are going from strength to strength – wishing you a sufficiency of spoons.

    • OMG that’s amazing! Well done

  • On my third attempt. The previous two kept wanting to turn into short stories!

  • Squidge posted an update 4 years ago

    Dipping in to say hi… ridiculously busy at the mo with Life, so barely time to breathe, let alone write! How is everyone doing at the moment, following the Queen’s death? Whether you’re for the monarchy or not, it seems to have impacted nearly everyone I’ve spoken to in some way, shape, or form. Sending hugs if you need them x

    • Doing well (I think). Similarly busy, especially yesterday when I was included in a tale of lost keys which necessitated a drive from Worthing to London and back.

    • Even for a republican like me it does feel like the end of an era. Thinking about how as a Scout we had to make promises to do our duty to the Queen etc, and every time you see a post box or a coin, or hear The King, it feels strange. Very few people have known anything different – @athelstone that sounds like an incredibly trying day, was it all…[Read more]

      • Yes, no harm done, thanks.

        • Oh blimey, Ath…can imagine that being rather stressful.

          • Busy here too, but yes, life seems to feel ‘on hold’ as we witness the end of an era. While not being an ardent Royalist, I did have a lot of respect for a queen who was the unwavering anchor for her family, showing how publicity could be done properly without scandalous revelations. I think I shall miss her.

    • Bella replied 4 years ago

      I had a very strong (and somewhat unexpected) emotional reaction to the death. She has always loomed large in my life as my father is an ardent royalist. I’d expected to feel a bit sad, as I did when Prince Philip died, but I burst into tears when I heard the news. We were in Scotland and very nearly passed the cortege from Balmoral to Edinburgh…[Read more]

  • Athelstone posted an update 4 years, 1 month ago

    Any more takers for the annual Short Story Challenge? There’s still time to join the “All You Need” group and make a couple of simple choices. The group closes and becomes private on Sunday evening, 22:00 UK time. It’s an easy way in for 6 months of fun and anticipation.

  • Daedalus replied to the topic Choices in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years, 1 month ago

    Coniston

    Yes there is

  • Thea replied to the topic Choices in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years, 1 month ago

    Vasio, France

    No there is not

  • Well done @clebs. I said it’s excellent – and it is!

  • Congratulations, Clebs, a well-twisted tale. And thanks Alex for a prompt which produced such variety.

  • Athelstone posted an update 4 years, 1 month ago

    Another reminder to all Denizens. The annual short-story challenge is awake once more. If you haven’t joined already, you only have until 11 September to join the group ALL YOU NEED and make a couple of choices.
    And to those who HAVE joined, choices must be made by that same date in order to enter the challenge.

  • Athelstone replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years, 1 month ago

    Ah, I see.

    Cf. my choice

  • Load More