Elle

  • Hey, I hope this finds you well. I recently finished edits on the manuscript of my current novella, and would like to move forward to the next step, that of soliciting the services of an editor – preferably one who specializes in editing speculative fiction – to help me tighten and polish the story.

     

    My one hesitation comes from not knowing all…[Read more]

  • Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 2 months ago

    Not bad at all!

  • Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 2 months ago

    4 longlisted and 2 shortlisted. I call that impressive for a small site like this.

  • Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 2 months ago

    Congrats to the long and shortlistees! I’ve only just noticed that my story was on the longlist – as I’d already resigned myself to not being listed, missing out on the shortlist does not come as a blow, but I’m delighted for Richard and Kate, best of luck to both of you!

  • Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 2 months ago

    I didn’t make the shortlist but I tell myself it was obviously a moment of madness by whoever made the choice 😀

  • Sorry for delay in replying to your very interesting thoughts @libby, but I’ve been neck deep in work lately.

    Re modernists etc using the techniques and ideas of psychic distance before Gardner codified it. Yes, absolutely, a large measure of what he was doing was identifying techniques that were already out there. I would suggest that his…[Read more]

  • Hello. Long time no see, everyone. I’m posting this to say I do occasionally pop in to see what’s going on, but haven’t actually logged in for a Very Long Time. So, apologies. And also, thanks to you faithful few, and especially Ath and any other admin (?) for keeping it going. Yes, other things going on for me too, but the other day I was feeling…[Read more]

    • Hi Hilary, lovely to see you here! Hope all’s going well with the book. x

      • Thanks, Thea. Yes, all is well with the book, thanks. Publication date January next year. So excited! Hope all’s well with you.

        • Oh, that’s fab, Hilary ! Please post an update when the book comes out. Looking forward to reading it 🙂

  • Well done, Sandra. Another great competition. And well done to my co-competitors. Two top-notch entries. Congratulations, Alex. A nice twisty yarn!

  • <p>Congratulations @Alex!! 🥳🥳</p><p>I too am a fan of the penny-brown eyes. Well done, you 😃</p><p>Also another stunner from Ath; Top-shelf characterization in a small pinch of words. #howdoeshedoit </p><p>Sandra, this was a marvellous prompt and I fully enjoyed it! Can’t wait to see what Alex comes up with, for August :)…[Read more]

  • Sandra posted an update 4 years, 2 months ago

    July’s monthly comp winner is up – #1 from a superb selection of entries – thank you!

  • Only three entries depicting Andrew’s possible future, but each of a quality and breadth of imagination that makes the judging, the choosing of a “winner” extremely difficult.
    Knicks opening sentence an instant hook, her choice of verbs ¬– “breathing hitched”, corner of mouth “kicked up” – is inspirational, and Andrew initially appears to have co…[Read more]

  • Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 2 months ago

    My One and Only Love. That’s from the Cloud and all the way back to 2014/2015.

  • Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 2 months ago

    Congratulations, Richard. It’s a powerful story that deserves recognition.

    I see from the website that my entry has been longlisted, too, which feels rather good. I didn’t recognise any of the other titles.

  • Andrew, 1975

    It’s February, and evening is upon us. Andrew goes unnoticed. Pedestrians streaming by the Palace Theatre barely even see a youth leaning against the wall. Some look towards him, but they are peering through the glass doors. Maybe they are wondering whether Jesus Christ Superstar is worth the ticket price. The traffic sweeping a…[Read more]

  • Yeah, I think recruiting people to a Discord group is much easier than to a website, tbh. I spend more time in my discord group than I do any online group, mainly because it’s an app & I can do it easily when I’m away from my laptop. Partly because it facilitates chat in a way websites, however well constructed, just don’t. And where I am now, I’m…[Read more]

  • I like Discord for all those reasons too @raine.

    It may well and best suit the members who will show up there, and couldn’t there be an influx of new writerly blood from the different tags we use on open channels?

  • There’s a lot to be said for Discord. There are a number of pages I visit regularly. I don’t imagine it would suit some of our members, but there may be no alternative in a year’s time.

  • Squidge posted an update 4 years, 2 months ago

    Hello Denizens… Apologies for not having dropped in for quite a while. Been a bit all over the place with various life stuff, but still writing. Good to see news popping up on facebook for various peeps, and as we go into the autumn I’ll try to pop in here more often to keep in touch. x

  • Raine posted an update 4 years, 2 months ago

    Wanted to let anyone know who remembers my Bathymetry story from one of the winter challenges … it’s been shortlisted for a British Fantasy Award! Very surprised by that, but proves how far our wee stories born in here can roam!

  • Just wanted to extend my appreciation to Ath and Jules for starting & maintaining/updating/supporting this place. I’m afraid I have very much drifted off, largely just because of the other demands on my writing time. It’s nice to know this place is here & I look forward to the annual challenges, but I honestly don’t spend enough time here to be…[Read more]

  • Load More