Elle

  • OK all. Did you miss out on your chance to join the “Things that go bump” writing challenge? Well, just like Brigadoon, we have appeared again – just briefly – to give you one last, brief, opportunity to join your fellow Denizens. To grab the opportunity send me a Direct Message and I’ll tell you what to do. ACT FAST! This offer expires on 1…[Read more]

  • There’s a monster inside of me.

    It was born when Noellia moved into number 14.

    The car started it. A shiny new Fiat 500. Electric. In powder blue. Parked on the drive. I looked at my own clapped out Fiesta and felt the first stirrings of new life, deep in my chest.

    She fed the monster well, did Noellia.

    Had an open house, she did. Invited…[Read more]

  • By the Sword – 347 words

    Another hand clutched my black-jacketed shoulder.
    Another cliché joined the collection.
    Another pitiful frown.
    Whispers drifted over; how brave she was being; a credit to her husband – oh, how she would miss him …

    The bastard.

    These people, they had been as blind to reality throughout the shit’s life; to his barbed…[Read more]

  • 0815 Wednesday 12 December (350 words, 1 an expletive)

    I assumed … God help me, I assumed McCallan had come with news of arrests, of mitigation. Or at least reassurance of progress
    Instead –
    Instead – Rob.
    Robbie my son, my first-born.
    Dead.
    Dead in her car.
    She the driver. No blame … no blame for Robbie, McCallan said.

    Robbie, who Moira r…[Read more]

  • Well done, Sea – and also for the theme of next month’s competition.
    Thanks Janette, for an opportunity to rehearse a scene, and for feedback.

  • Just remembered to check in… Well done @seagreen!! It’s a fab story! And thank you @janette for the kind feedback and giving me a lunchtime prompt! 😊

  • Well done, @seagreen, excellent story.

  • Great stuff @seagreen. Super story.

  • Results
    Six entries this month, each a real pleasure to read, but the strength of writing has made judging a tough order.

    John S Alty – Sunset
    I thoroughly enjoyed this story of Frank and Sarah shipwrecked and stranded on an island. Loved the ‘knob of butter’ image of a sun setting, though felt the expression could have been strengthened if it…[Read more]

  • ‘We have picnics at Stonehenge when we’re off-duty, it’s enormous fun.’

    (400 words)

    You lean back against the fallen stone, head tipped so that your horizon is the great circle of stones and a mosaic sky. Smoke from your cigarettes moves through the air like moths and the stone is cold against your arms, your hips. The others are laughing, but…[Read more]

  • Red Sun

    Sunsets are very different here. Everything is different, but it was the sunset that I was staring at last night. Or rather, the absence of a sunset.

    OK. No sunset. Tell you what, there aren’t any asthmatics here on Grissom’s planet either. I’m not blaming anybody; when a 300-mile-wide asteroid drew a bead on Earth at twenty-five miles…[Read more]

  • Only 5 days to go for the September comp – and only 3 entries!

  • Barny replied to the topic Choices in the forum Group logo of Things that go bumpThings that go bump 6 years ago

    Oh ok then Believer. Justin time 😉

  • Barny replied to the topic Choices in the forum Group logo of Things that go bumpThings that go bump 6 years ago

    Home, Belieber, Spoon

  • Athelstone posted an update 6 years ago

    OK – at the risk of badgering people, three and a bit days left to enter “Things that go bump”. Also – 18 members at present, but only 16 sets of choices. If you’re intending to take part, don’t forget!

  • Raine posted an update 6 years ago

    So turns out all my submissions are made in the spirit of ‘This is the best I can get it right now, but I’m sure it’ll change again down the road’. Because this edit is an actual ‘This version will get published’ and it is VERY DIFFERENT. I am DAUNTED, people. Halp.

    • Libby replied 6 years ago

      Have faith in yourself, Raine. They accepted the ms because you’re good.
      And maybe do some deep breathing and have a glass of something to steady the nerves, though not too much obvs 🙂

    • Daunt not, my dear. They liked what you sent. They think it’s more than good enough. They KNOW the world is waiting for it – as are we.

    • Of course it’s the good stuff!

      • It will be wonderful. And, of course, it is daunting but that is because you care about your writing and want it to be the best it can. Which is why it was so good in the first place!

    • KazG replied 6 years ago

      My lovely, I feel for you and know just what you mean!! It’s real, and it will be permanent, and that is full of daunt. But forget all that. You have to. You probably have an ideal reader when you write? Write for them. Make it good for THEM. And a work of art is never finished, merely abandoned. You will have to walk away at some point, but…[Read more]

  • How would you describe a breathtaking sunset? Why no come along to the monthly comp and put it into a short story? It’s already half way through the month, it would be great to get a few more entries.

  • The marking of a life, or two.

    This the second funeral in six days and the mourning very different.

    Last week’s was of a mother. Not his, not biologically, but one who had nevertheless mothered him. Had generously included him, enabled him to share in the love she gave her natural sons. Much needed when his own family had been hard and spiky, s…[Read more]

  • Athelstone posted an update 6 years ago

    “I don’t care where you’ve been, You ain’t been nowhere till you’ve been in – the Things that go Bump writing challenge.”

    Find the group. Join. Enjoy.

  • Daedalus posted an update 6 years, 1 month ago

    Still not a robot

    • Now there’s a coincidence. Neither am I.

    • I sometimes think a robot would be better at identifying the traffic lights than I am. Hang on, maybe that’s the point…

      • Libby replied 6 years ago

        Those blasted traffic lights. I’m always relieved to get the fire hydrants. I think I’m becoming a fire hydrant fan.

        • Good to mix things up with the occasional bit of fire hydrant. But where’s the other street furniture? Why can’t we identify some litter bins for a change, or bike stands or something?

          • Raine replied 6 years ago

            Dogs. I want to identify all the dalmatians in a field full of friesan cows.

            • Libby replied 6 years ago

              I once saw a dalmatian in a field full of daisies.

              Re street furniture, it could be the tables and chairs a coffee shop blocks the pavement with in a town near me.

  • Load More