-
Woolleybeans replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoOk, so. We wouldn’t need to be massively set in stone on a lot of it. I figure the following:
1) Making each ‘class’ in the craft seminars span 3 weeks actually means that with the odd week taken off as a break, the craft seminars would fit nicely into 2 years without being massively heavy time-wise. A couple of hours a week, it reckons, doing it…[Read more]
-
Woolleybeans replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoIt looks to me as though a timetable including discussion and feedback would be good on all three aspects, if we are going the route of having a timetable in the first place.
For one thing, the writing practice can include the exercises for the craft seminars, or could be some of the ones Andrew suggests but which are not chosen for the craft…[Read more]
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoI’m in the camp that would prefer a bit of a timetable but can I just clarify something and sorry if this has been dealt with elsewhere.
Year 1 consists of the Craft Seminars,the first year of writing workshop and the first year of the professional development masterclas.
The Craft Seminars of which there are fifteen IMO lend themsleves to a…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoOk, I can understand that. I guess it’s a balance, isn’t it? Between providing a timetable for those of us who like structure (I prob count myself there), and not excluding people whose other commitments make that timetable unfeasable. … And getting caught in an infinite loop of trying to decide a timetable that fits everyone! … AND not…[Read more]
-
-
-
Hilary replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoI think I like Squidge’s idea, because I’d be better with some discipline.
-
Squidge replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoThe only issue with doing multiple units is that we could end up with people later on having no buddies to do that unit with? I’d rather it was ‘organised’ in that there’s a definite time for each unit to be completed over, simply because that means I can be more disciplined about an approach, rather than wondering what’s on and whether I want to…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoYeah, the time commitment/coordination is the challenge with something like this. I’ve been thinking about how it might work, having jumped in enthusiastically without doing any thinking first! I guess for me, the best way seems to be to look at it as a series of group exercises, rather than a whole MA.
Maybe the way to do it would be if someone…[Read more]
-
KazG posted an update in the group
Songs of Innocence and Experience 7 years agoAlbany, Western Australia
Jez, female
Tea -
Hilary replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoIf I do commit to this, I would definitely prefer group interaction, including giving and receiving feedback. It’s true, though, that co-ordinating timing for a group, over two years, will be tricky.
-
-
Kate replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoI agree with Bella that a bit of structure would be nice. It would give me a bit of a push to get going. I also think feedback is invaluable and am always willing to try and supply some.
-
Squidge posted an update in the group
Andrew Wille’s DIY MA course 7 years agoBeen checking out the required texts… I’m getting a bit bogged down in Sin and Syntax, (for saying the author’s currently talking about brevity, she’s going the long way round to say a lot of it!) but Writing Fiction looks easier to read. Bird by Bird’s one of my most accessible reads (was given it as a gift some years ago), and I’d add How Not…[Read more]
-
-
-
Squidge posted an update in the group
Andrew Wille’s DIY MA course 7 years agoWilling to have a go at this… Not sure how it’ll be structured in terms of posting – presumably a new forum for each unit, with each person posting within the forum? Hope it’s pretty clear, as I ‘lose’ threads so often!
-
-
Bella replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoIn theory I think the structure of a timetable is helpful. In practice, especially for a project as huge as this, I just don’t see people sticking to it very closely. Even in the self-edit course people were very variable in their contributions and that was only 6 weeks. That said, no harm in devising a timetable for people to (try to) stick to. I…[Read more]
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoI sort of assumed we might work through each unit on the Craft Seminar as a group, posting exercises for comment the same way we did on the Self-Edit course when I did it. I find the structure of a timetable (however gentle and slow it is) works better for me.
What does everyhbody else feel?
- Load More
