@madiguana
Active 5 years, 8 months ago-
Knicks replied to the topic Monthly Comp – February 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 8 months ago
On it, dolly 🥰🥰
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – January 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 8 months ago
Well done all, especially Raine. I thought it was a bit special.
-
Raine started the topic Monthly Comp – February 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 8 months ago
Right folks. Two things that featured heavily in my weekend were Encanto and storms … so those are my inspirations for this month’s challenge. I want a scene with 2+ siblings interacting & a weather or astrological event. 400 words by the 28th, bonus points for Encanto easter eggs!
Have fun! -
Raine replied to the topic Monthly Competition – January 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 8 months ago
Aw thank you @knickylaurelle!! Glad it struck a chord 🙂 And I loved everyone else’s entries so yay everyone!
Okay, I need to think about next month – will get pondering and post something later/tmrw.
-
Kate replied to the topic Monthly Competition – January 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 8 months ago
Well done Raine and thank you Knicks. I’d forgotten how much fun it is writing these short skits.
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition – January 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 8 months ago
I had a first line (oddly enough, my adversary was Time) and discovered Time had beaten me. Not to worry, there’s always next month.
Congratulations, Raine. Your entry was frightening (in an inspirational kind of way ☺️)
And thanks, Knicky, even though I was too slow 😂 -
Knicks replied to the topic Monthly Competition – January 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 8 months ago
Ohai, just had my read-through. January’s entries were really eclectic, both funny and relatable.
@quellomayo – Gripping and amusing in equal measure; this wasn’t one that I’d read normally but having done, I wanted to read more. Fun stuff.
@sandradavies – Definitely en route to overcoming an adversary we can all relate to being plague by in…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – January 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 8 months ago
Doug
I could be expelled, or even stuck in a young-offenders institution, but, honestly, I can’t see how they’ll ever pin it on me.
Doug isn’t a nice kid. At ten, he’s the spitting image of his dad; spitting being the operative word. He’s well on his way to being as big as him, too. Which is big.
Doug hates all the other kids at school.…[Read more]
-
Kate replied to the topic Monthly Competition – January 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 8 months ago
Warning: Dark humour.
SEIZING THE MOMENT
‘Twenty-five years we were married,’ I tell the young police officer as he hands me a cup of tea with shaking hands.
‘I’m very sorry for your loss,’ he murmurs, gaze resting anywhere but on me.
I suppose I should wash and change, but I’m feeling a bit odd right now.
And it will take more than a wash…[Read more] -
Squidge posted an update 4 years, 8 months ago
Gosh, it is ages since I dropped in…far too much going on in the world outside of writing! Hope everyone’s doing OK.
I’ve finished editing the memoir I was working on – author very pleased with the result, so that’s good. Still getting to grips with Tilda #4’s huge plot hole and whittling away at that when I can. Still trying to carve out…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Monthly Competition – January 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 8 months ago
Right – it’s ramshackle and unplanned, but at least I’ve done one!!!
To breathe.
That’s it. That’s what you need to do to win against this particular enemy. He’s always been there, this one. He’s one of my earliest and definitely my most constant childhood memory. Hunched forward in the dark, fear and aloneness so present in the room th…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Monthly competition December 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 9 months ago
Sorry. Book stuff is hectic just now. I do love these comps & have had several publications out of them so they are really worth doing. But …. *wails* I have no time!!
-
Kate replied to the topic Monthly competition December 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 9 months ago
I’ll try and give my brain a rattle and join in too. It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these comps, but I’ve found them a great learning device in the past.
-
Raine replied to the topic Reads for 2022 in the forum Coffee Shop 4 years, 9 months ago
Oh gosh, loads. Intisar Khanani’s next one, Chloe Gong’s first adult book, I think Lucy Foley has a new thriller due out soon. Emily St John Mandel’s next one looks fab, and I can’t wait for Jennifer Saint’s Elektra, and Guy Gavriel Kay’s new one.
And of course there’s our own Jane Jesmond (@janeshuff) and Fiona Erskine (@bric) releasing new…[Read more]
-
Knicks started the topic Monthly Competition – January 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 9 months ago
Happy News Years, Den!!
I know I don’t have to tell anyone that the last 3 years have been a task. Yet here we are! It’s an undeniable wonder. In keeping with that spirit, the theme for this month’s competition is Overcoming Adversary. This is super broad topic, so the actual adversary can be anything or anyone, and I’m expecting loads of…[Read more]
-
Knicks replied to the topic Monthly competition December 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 9 months ago
Alrighty, I’ll get right on it. Like right now. Sorry for the delay. Ath is right, Libby! 😊✨
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition December 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 9 months ago
We’ll all be pleased to see your entry, Libby.
-
Knicks replied to the topic Monthly competition December 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 9 months ago
Thank you Sandra, and Athelstone too!! I don’t think I could have managed what I did if Ath didn’t set his usual bar for quality, enjoyable, supremely witty writing 😊✨
That said – and Please Forgive Me if this isn’t the place to say it, I’m not sure where that place would be – it kinda feels like its just mostly us three passing the ball around…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition December 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 9 months ago
I should spend less time on the test site and more here. Cracking story, Knicks. Well done. Thanks for the competition, Sandra. I found it tough but fun.
-
RichardB posted an update 4 years, 9 months ago
One piece of good news for the new year: subsequent to the vile attacks on it by the Farage thing (and others) for rescuing migrants in the Channel, the RNLI has just announced that donations in 2021 have broken all previous records. The more I think about the implications of this, the better I feel.
-
Yes, I saw that. It’s great. Really marvellous. We seem to have certain people amongst our present government who lack even the most basic decency and compassion*, so it’s heartening to see a positive reaction like this.
*for the sake of impartiality, other domestic political parties may well have members similarly lacking in humanity.
-
Although, of course, Farage is not a member of HM Government. The fact that he has stood for Parliament seven times (I believe) without ever coming near to being elected is another heartening sign that his poisonous opinions aren’t as widely accepted as he (and others) would like to think.
-
Hi Richard, did you catch the radio programme about the Penlee lifeboat disaster?
-
Unfortunately I missed it, but I have found something on YouTube posted by the RNLI itself. I hesitate to post a link because funny things have been known to happen when I do, but a search for ‘RNLI 40th Anniversary of Penlee Lifeboat Disaster’ will find it. Relatives of the lost crew, and others, reminiscing. It’s rather moving.
-
-
-
-
- Load More
