-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – November 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 9 months ago
Thanks Alex, and thanks for the prompt too. I must be a gloomy person but I found a happy competition made my mind go blank. But it’s good to have to think a bit.
-
Athelstone posted an update 3 years, 9 months ago
A Very Merry Christmas to all Denizens, wherever you may be.
-
Athelstone posted an update 3 years, 9 months ago
ANYONE LOGGING IN…still time to write just 500 words for the December comp! You know you’ll feel better if you do.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – November 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 9 months ago
A Winter Dragon
Snow in the north, south, east, and west, but none here. Fran had been promised snow by the television and the app on her phone, but here she sat, four days from Christmas, freezing cold, not a cloud in the sky, and the sun shining. She wiggled the feet of her onesie into Mum’s fleece boots and, as quietly as possible, slipped o…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 3 years, 10 months ago
Anybody wishing to chance their pen with a piece of flash fiction this month, please note that the November competition has been extended. So head over to the November comp (Main Menu up there -> Den Forums -> Monthly Competition) and take a look at an excellent theme.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Richard's Musical Byways: Robert Johnson, the Myth and the Man in the forum Blogs 3 years, 10 months ago
Thoroughly enjoyed this, Richard. Another wonderful bit of writing that is bound to lead to a substantial musical rabbit-hole
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – November 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 10 months ago
Ahhh! Hangs head in shame. I don’t know where November went either. Made a start but never finished. I vote that Alex keeps the competition and we all have another try for December.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Richard's Musical Byways: Robert Johnson, the Myth and the Man in the forum Blogs 3 years, 10 months ago
I wouldn’t want to make this an Eric Clapton debate, but it seems to me that there’s a huge divide between acknowledging an error, and expressing remorse for it. Clapton clearly sees himself as having made mistakes, especially the outburst on stage in Birmingham in 1976, but although I’ve seen numerous purported apologies from him, they all amount…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Richard's Musical Byways: Robert Johnson, the Myth and the Man in the forum Blogs 3 years, 10 months ago
You do write these blogs so well, Richard. This one is the best written and most engrossing take on a musician that I’ve read in ages.
I have the Complete Recordings. I bought them some years back, not because of my own journeying into blues, but because somebody who did more than my superficial browsing suggested I should. All I can say is that…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – October 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 11 months ago
Two super entries, both darkly entertaining. Perfect for a Halloween mood, maybe.
Alex, love your dry style. I’ve been in that hotel and ironed that shirt for a meeting. Even drunk those beers. Never been in an earthquake though, unless you count the feeble growling that “hit” the south of England a few years back – much like a truck driving by.…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 3 years, 11 months ago
Two cracking entries in the monthly comp. Still time to grab that kudos in the half day remaining!
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – October 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years ago
Far TMI!! Our first autumn spider in the kitchen sink this morning (usually they wait until Steve’s away and I’m stark naked before ambushing).
-
Athelstone started the topic Monthly Competition – October 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years ago
October. In the UK and Western Europe, spiders are in evidence around our dwelling places at this time of year. Some believe that the cold weather brings them in, but it turns out they’re just looking for a bit of love and affection. They were always there. OK, I admit it, I don’t like them. Mainly they’re fine. I’ve held a tarantula, and most…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – September 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years ago
Thanks for a wonderful prompt Clebs. I thoroughly enjoyed writing my piece and it feels as though it might develop a bit. Plus, you got a pretty wonderful bunch of other entries. Well done all.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – September 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years ago
Well deserved, Athelstone, and thank you Clebs for the topic which at least sent me back to the primary sources to size up the task again. Thanks to all entrants for a feast of post gathering events.
-
Clebs replied to the topic Monthly Competition – September 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years ago
After a hectic few hours, it was lovely to sit down and read these entries. Thank you all for taking the time to enter.
Athelstone – I felt very close to your character. When I finished reading I felt very sad.
Seagreen – I thoroughly enjoyed this. The final paragraph was lovely to read. Who is Ameilia I wonder?
Sandra – I found this very inte…[Read more]
-
Clebs posted an update 4 years ago
The September monthly competition closes at midnight tomorrow.
I appreciate how busy everyone is but I would love to read other peoples perceptions of what happened after a gathering.
Clebs -
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – September 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years ago
Not quite fulfilling the brief but it’s this or nothing.
The post-gathering I should most like to write the aftermath of, did time and ability permit is the one which took place following the reading of the will of Thomas Hutchinson Goodfellow, my husband’s great-grandfather, following his death in Tottenham in 1891, age 73.
That it was…[Read more] -
Athelstone posted an update 4 years ago
Just 5 days left for Clebs’ excellent monthly comp. Thinking-caps and writing-hands!
- Load More
