-
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
I did the same with this reply as so often before: typed it, went to check something, got distracted, forgot all about it, closed the laptop, assumed I’d sent it.
Mark 2.
Thanks @daedalus. I find that I remebered more than I thought, although We’reNot in Kansas Any More had eluded me for a bit. The two earlier ones were first, the Intercity…[Read more]
-
Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
2014-15 – Here and There
2015-16 – Not in Kansas Any More
2016-17 – Now and Then
2017-18 – Whispers and Glances
2018-19 – A Room with a View
Those were the ones I took part in. I think there may have been one or two before I joined the Cloud, one of them called Intercity.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Oh, yes, 2016/17 was penultimate one wholly on the Cloud (Alan’s last challenge: Now and Then). Was yours Craquelure, a rather unnerving and powerful story about a painting?
Kate’s was from 2017/18 (My first Challenge: Whispers and Glances)
Mine was from 2014/15 (can anybody remember all the theme names on th Cloud? I know some)
-
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
I think you’re right.
There’s another challenge brewing. Should be up in a week or so.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
And quite right it is too!
Am I right in supposing that at least three of the four listed stories from Denizens were from Den or Cloud winter challenges? (Mine was from the 2016-17 challenge, which iirc was the penultimate one to be wholly staged on the Cloud)
-
Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Brilliant news Richard – a fantastic story that absolutely deserves the recognition, and that goes for the writer too
-
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
That’s “pleaseD” of course.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
So please, Richard. A brilliant and moving story, written with an intensity but also a subtlety that really marks it out.
-
Kate replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Is that yours in second place, Richard!! Huge congratulations.
-
Kate replied to the topic How to reach out to a speculative fiction editor? in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 4 years, 1 month ago
Hi Knicks – what sort of editorial review are you looking for. There is the pretty standard book doctor report, a deeper developmental edit that I’ve heard of offered by Jericho, or mentoring.
I’ve recently gone down the mentoring path, because I wanted the opportunity for some personal back and forth with an editor, rather than just a book…[Read more]
-
-
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
4 longlisted and 2 shortlisted. I call that impressive for a small site like this.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Congrats to the long and shortlistees! I’ve only just noticed that my story was on the longlist – as I’d already resigned myself to not being listed, missing out on the shortlist does not come as a blow, but I’m delighted for Richard and Kate, best of luck to both of you!
-
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
I didn’t make the shortlist but I tell myself it was obviously a moment of madness by whoever made the choice đ
-
Bella replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago
Wow!
Very well done.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Film, storytelling – psychic distance again – and looking under the bonnet in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
Sorry for delay in replying to your very interesting thoughts @libby, but I’ve been neck deep in work lately.
Re modernists etc using the techniques and ideas of psychic distance before Gardner codified it. Yes, absolutely, a large measure of what he was doing was identifying techniques that were already out there. I would suggest that his…[Read more]
-
Kate replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 2 months ago
I’m on the shortlist too. Nice to have such excellent company. Congratulations.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition July 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 2 months ago
Well done, Sandra. Another great competition. And well done to my co-competitors. Two top-notch entries. Congratulations, Alex. A nice twisty yarn!
-
Sandra posted an update 4 years, 2 months ago
July’s monthly comp winner is up – #1 from a superb selection of entries – thank you!
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition July 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 2 months ago
Only three entries depicting Andrewâs possible future, but each of a quality and breadth of imagination that makes the judging, the choosing of a âwinnerâ extremely difficult.
Knicks opening sentence an instant hook, her choice of verbs ÂŹâ âbreathing hitchedâ, corner of mouth âkicked upâ â is inspirational, and Andrew initially appears to have co…[Read more] - Load More
