-
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 2 months ago
My One and Only Love. That’s from the Cloud and all the way back to 2014/2015.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 2 months ago
Congratulations, Richard. It’s a powerful story that deserves recognition.
I see from the website that my entry has been longlisted, too, which feels rather good. I didn’t recognise any of the other titles.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition July 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 2 months ago
Andrew, 1975
It’s February, and evening is upon us. Andrew goes unnoticed. Pedestrians streaming by the Palace Theatre barely even see a youth leaning against the wall. Some look towards him, but they are peering through the glass doors. Maybe they are wondering whether Jesus Christ Superstar is worth the ticket price. The traffic sweeping a…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic The Future of the Den (again) in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
There’s a lot to be said for Discord. There are a number of pages I visit regularly. I don’t imagine it would suit some of our members, but there may be no alternative in a year’s time.
-
Squidge posted an update 4 years, 2 months ago
Hello Denizens… Apologies for not having dropped in for quite a while. Been a bit all over the place with various life stuff, but still writing. Good to see news popping up on facebook for various peeps, and as we go into the autumn I’ll try to pop in here more often to keep in touch. x
-
Athelstone replied to the topic I've seen fiction written in present tense described as potentially static in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
No preference.
My WIP is first person, present tense. I didn’t choose or plan this; it just happened when I started writing. I think it fits the voice of the MC.
I suppose that many people who are mainly familiar with a narrator, often omnipotent, addressing the reader in past tense, assume that present tense (especially first person) is likely…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic I've seen fiction written in present tense described as potentially static in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
Just realised, quite a few of my Challenge stories are written in first person present. I think to give myself an extra treat!!Would definitely deny they are static!
-
Kate replied to the topic I've seen fiction written in present tense described as potentially static in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
I find the idea of present tense feeling static quite odd. Because you are in the moment, I think it’s hard to pause in a way that is possible in past tense. So I’d say the opposite of static.
Like Sandra, sometimes I’ll find a book jars a little initially in present tense, but I’ll quickly cease to notice as I adapt to the books style.
I read a…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic I've seen fiction written in present tense described as potentially static in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
Brief, and not necessarily well-thought out reply, (nor am I 100% I’ve got the terminology right), but Elly Griffith’s ‘Ruth Galloway ‘ series is told in present tense, with sentences/Pov as “Ruth watches as C and C get into the Rolls” (second person??) Every time I start a new one I think “Oh no, forgot how much I dislike this” then very…[Read more]
-
Sandra posted an update 4 years, 2 months ago
“What’s new” is Knicks truly inspirational entry for this month’s competition. Read it for yourself, look at the image of Andrew as a young lad, and make a later version of him for yourself. You’ve more than ten days to do it.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Not Such a Literary Byway: The Ten Thousand Doors of January, by Alix E. Harrow in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
Very true. There are precious few lighter moments. Mind you, he’s not quite the worst author I know for that. Not exactly fantasy (although he did write a collaborative series with Terry Pratchett), Stephen Baxter has the habit of making you identify with and root for particular characters, and then watch as their responses to ever tougher…[Read more]
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Film, storytelling – psychic distance again – and looking under the bonnet in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
@woolleybeans wrote: “For me, that aspect [the defining factor of PD] was/is the level to which the POV character’s thoughts, feelings etc influence/become part of the writing style itself.
As for how that correlates to film/TV…
The saturation of colours? Whether the shot angles up through something? The somewhat cliché blurry/wobbly scen…[Read more]
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Not Such a Literary Byway: The Ten Thousand Doors of January, by Alix E. Harrow in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
You’re probably right re urban fantasy, I have a rather vague grasp on the various subgenres, and that’s when authors oblige and ensure that their work falls squarely within one category. I have no idea where to put China Mieville’s Bas-Lag novels, and I suspect he likes it that way. They have the epic sweep and complex magical systems of high…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Not Such a Literary Byway: The Ten Thousand Doors of January, by Alix E. Harrow in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
Thank you for this Richard, on the strength of which I’ve just recommended it to my daughter.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Wildlife in the Kitchen in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
There’s something awe-inspiring about coming into contact with truly large insects and similar bugs, and your blog reminded me of an incident on holiday in Spain, years ago. We’d rented a cottage and on the last day we were cleaning up and I’d put a bin-bag by the door. I reached down to retrieve what looked like a piece of vegetation poking out…[Read more]
-
Bella replied to the topic Wildlife in the Kitchen in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
<p>I’ve never seen one that big in the UK but we spent a few summers holidaying in Finland when I was a child. Coming back from the lake one day my sister and I found a huge green and gold (or maybe brown and gold, I can’t remember exactly) dragonfly lying motionless on the path. We prodded it (gently) but it didn’t move so we concluded it was…[Read more]
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Wildlife in the Kitchen in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
We had one of those alight on the edge of our utility room door a little while ago. Huge, and very striking. Almost big enough to have the same sort of presence as a bird rather than an insect. Can’t find pics of it now, but we fairly often see them out and about, along with different types of dragonfly and damsonfly.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Film, storytelling – psychic distance again – and looking under the bonnet in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
I was going to edit this to add some links but apparently I’m too late. Anyway, in case there are any non-SE grads out there, some details on psychic distance here
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Not Such a Literary Byway: The Ten Thousand Doors of January, by Alix E. Harrow in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
That sounds fantastic (in both senses of the word). My tbr pile is probably already longer than I will get through in my lifetime but I will add it anyway.
Fantasy definitely did seem to go through an obligatory magic ring/sword phase, not to mention the ominpresent dark lord – the overlong series’ of Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind and, to a lesser…[Read more]
-
Daedalus started the topic Film, storytelling – psychic distance again – and looking under the bonnet in the forum Blogs 4 years, 2 months ago
This is going to be a super quick and probably slightly rambling blog but it’s been in my mind for a little while and I find the subject interesting so I’m just going to throw it down and see if anyone can relate.
I’ve been thinking a lot about films lately – very specifically, the way shots are composed, and what this might tell us about…[Read more]
- Load More
