-
John S Alty posted an update 7 years, 4 months ago
Just back from Mallorca with lots of new writing ideas. Well, one.
I see we have a few more spammists – they’re getting smarter, using names and not anagrams! -
Sandra replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
‘Specific questions’? – yes indeed, particularly in the light of the current one – Raine’s saying “It’ll be judged purely on ‘how much do I want to read on’” (which strikes me as a genius note to strike when setting a competition.) Of those posted so far I would say there are those which I am unlikely to pursue, simply because they are not the g…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Entirely agree with Knicks and Jane. If critique is wanted it should be specifically asked for; where someone believes it would be helpful, a pm is the best place to start. For myself, comp entries are often little more than the flexing of writing muscles.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
What would be ideal is an option to indent and insert replies following an entry so that they were clustered after the entry to which they refer. I haven’t seen enough of WordPress or BBpress etc. to be certain, but I think that reply threading only introduces indentation to nest replies, in the same way that replies are handled for “updates”. All…[Read more]
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
I think you have to activate reply threading, but I don’t know for sure.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Unfortunately, AFAIK (which may be completely wrong) WordPress and its plug-ins only allow a single chain of posts, the idea being that you have a Topic followed by Replies to it. So the thread might go something like ENTRY1 – Comment on ENTRY1 – Comment on ENTRY1 – ENTRY2 – Comment on ENTRY1 – ENTRY3 – Comment on ENTRY2 etc. which is likely to be…[Read more]
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Yes, I like all of those. I never really understood the Cloud thing of ‘comment on the person’s wall but not on the thread’. This thing is pretty informal anyway. So Perhaps we can allow, indeed encourage, comments, with the slight caveat that people don’t go heavy on crit or be negative.
-
Squidge posted an update 7 years, 5 months ago
Tilda Book 2 got formatted and sent off to the publisher yesterday… Not sure it was the best way to spend a Bank Holiday Monday, but hey ho.
-
Squidge replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
I think it feels sometimes as though it’s trying too hard… The kinds of words used, particularly. I know there’s a place for fabulous language – certain Denizens often take my breath away when I read what they’ve written, for eg! – but sometimes it feels laboured. As if the author thought ‘I must describe this thing beautifully to get across how…[Read more]
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Guidelines suggest not posting on the thread with the entries, until after judging is complete, but you can make a general discussion comment tagging the appropriate person. I think I have that correct.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Glad you asked that Jane, I was also wondering.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
Yes, Squidge – soon as I pressed ‘go’ I thought that myself!
-
Squidge replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
I think some ARE young, Sandra, but what I’ve seen of the Masters, it tends towards a fairly older crowd, often folks who’ve been doing other things in life first.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Sorry I was MIA recently – thanks to all for contributing and it looks as though you’ve all sorted things. Well done, going to look at new comp stuff now
-
Sandra replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
At the risk of sounding ageist, is it not the case that a high(ish) percentage of those doing degrees/Masters are quite young, and are unlikely to yet have the confidence/experience to ignore publishers et al?
-
Squidge replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
I think there is a different approach to writing if you do a degree/Masters in it. It’s almost as though, at the point of graduation, most folk have a perceived idea of what writing should be. Qualifying this because I know a creative writing lecturer, and am in a facebook group for one of the CW courses at a local uni. Some of the stuff I see…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
To some extent (not that I’ve done any really full-on writing courses, just SE, some reading and building on experience) I do notice that my very early writing has a freshness of approach that more recent, more self-conscious writing does not.
And I do cheer when I come across writers such as Eimear McBride and Eley Williams (both James Tait…[Read more]
-
Bella replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
On the subject of having the courage of one’s own convictions I see that Imtiaz Dharker has turned down the role of Poet Laureate so she can concentrate on her own work.
-
Bella replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
The glib answer is “that’s just his opinion”. I think UWS probably does exist and I don’t understand why he is slating it. My impression is that an agent faced with a synopsis they like and an MS written in UWS will say “yippee”. I don’t think real originality is as prized as it should be, at least not when it comes to trad publishing. S…[Read more]
-
John S Alty posted an update 7 years, 5 months ago
For anyone wishing to avoid me over on JT, I’m Wildman. (I’m not really wild at all, Wild is my mother’s maiden name).
I’m having fun trying to spot Denizens over there, it’s quite tricky. - Load More

The registered @names are anagrams (sort of)
Glad to hear Mallorca has spawned some ideas. 🙂 you were sailing, I think I saw on twitter? Lovely island for that, I’d imagine?
Hi Raine,
No, stayed on dry land this time, but it is a special place.