Activity

  • Sandra posted an update 8 years ago

    An anthology of poetry, kept beside the loo, results in a LOT more poetry being read than if I keep it by the bed.

    • Raine replied 8 years ago

      lol! I used to read poetry way more than I do now. Perhaps I should try your trick! Or by the kettle, to read whilst waiting for it to boil?

    • I’ve been reading a bit more lately. The resurgence started after I bought Alan Bennett’s ‘Six Poets’ selection for the Orkney break. I remember thinking ‘Blimey, I wouldn’t have chosen that’ and never looked back

      • Ath, Did you ever get round to reading Orkney’s no.1 poet, George McKay Brown?
        The anthology I’m currently reading is 1992-2001.

        • embarrassed to admit that I said I would, but I didn’t. However…I have just bought his collected works and am looking forward to some light and delightful reading if these words from ‘the poet’ are typical: When all the dancers and masks had gone inside
          His cold stare
          Returned to its true task, interrogation of silence.

          • collected ‘poems’ not works

          • Yup – that sounds like GMB – he inspired so much of my print work when I was at college.

            • I wish I had been inspired at art school. I allowed myself to be ‘shaped’ into a worse artist than when I arrived.

            • At least I had the courage to quit and go to university. Ah! The world of grants and state-paid fees.

            • Benefit of being a ‘mature’ (haha) student.

    • Did somebody in this thread alter or delete a reply? Just curious because a lot of it seems to have disappeared

      • Yeah I found that- then THIS time I see above your last comment a box saying SHOW ALL 10 COMMENTS so perhaps it’s a space-saving gimmick.

    • Raine replied 8 years ago

      I can highly recommend Wild Embers by Nikita Gill. Her stuff is beautiful and makes me cry quite a lot! Also got Kumukanda by Kayo Chingonyi which is good too. A lot about coming from Zambia to the UK, which my mum did, so it feels personal in some ways.

      • I’m finding it’s not the beautiful but the thought-provoking, recognition of something previously unvoiced that is currently jolting me into appreciation.