@sandradavies
Active 16 hours, 48 minutes ago-
John S Alty posted an update 8 years ago
Back from a few days in Mallorca, wonderful, now ready to get down to this month’s competition. Something about a bloke in a greatcoat playing a banjo, lamenting the loss of his spell book, if I remember right.
-
KazG replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
Pow to you, too @philippaeast!
-
KazG replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
@janeshuff – ah, the sweet sound of a scene being NAILED! That gives me shivers of satisfaction. Everything pulling together and resonating all over the place…can’t wait to read the rewrite π
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 8 years ago
Should I look forward to seeing an entry? π
-
Elle replied to the topic Example Cover Letter in the forum Blogs 8 years ago
Sorry for the misunderstanding when I meant commercial, supernatural, etc… I meant submission in general not your novel in particular.
The prose is not typical however the story in itself is just the story of an Irish girl growing up in the 60s and her relationship with her sick brother. Just let me know what you think once you’ve read it. My…[Read more]
-
GippsGirl replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 8 years ago
That’s a cracking idea, Sea!
-
Elle replied to the topic Example Cover Letter in the forum Blogs 8 years ago
Hi Alan,
Regarding Galley Beggar, I think you might want to double check but I believe they only accept literary fiction so no genre fiction (commercial, fantasy, horror, etc…) so if your novel is a paranormal fiction I don’t believe it is something they publish.
-
Elle replied to the topic Example Cover Letter in the forum Blogs 8 years ago
The only book I read from them was Eimear McBride’s A Girl is a Half Formed Thing, which is very experimental, stream of consciousness prose but I loved it (I just love her as an author)
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
Pow, @kazg, you got it!
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Example Cover Letter in the forum Blogs 8 years ago
Not yet… although I think I started Francis Plug: How to Be a Public Author.
I like the sound of them as a publisher, if you’re going for the literary / experimental end of the spectrum.
-
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
Ha, Kaz! Have you snuck into my house and been reading over my shoulder? That’s pretty much where I’d got to – thanks in no small part to this thread. I was avoiding the scene and the complicated POV didn’t help. However I think, by making it somehow trigger a flashback to the earlier scene where she is beaten up by her husband and making her feel…[Read more]
-
KazG replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
Richard, that is truly a shocking piece of writing – awful to read but really well done. Very powerful. It doesn’t feel gratuitous to me, awful as it is.
Jane, I think I know the scene you’re referring to π Reading through this thread and going back to my own comments to you, the issue I had with it was that it felt as if you were avoiding the…[Read more]
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
And Philippa, I’m just trying to collect my thoughts to DM you…
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
I’d love to read the whole thing, Richard, if you’re ever looking for someone else to look at it.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
Aargh, spoiler!
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
I had to read this a few times, Richard, to get beyond the awfulness of it. You were right to post it with a warning.
Itβs a very strong piece of writing and β this is meant as a compliment β Iβm glad I had a go at my own scene before reading it, because I would have found it difficult to write in my own voice afterwards! Yes, I see how youβve…[Read more] -
Amanda Berriman (Skylark) posted an update 8 years ago
Bit quiet because I’m 55 days into a writing chain. Wouldn’t exactly say it’s going well, but it’s going, a few hundred words at a time. Some of them not too shabby.
-
Amanda Berriman (Skylark) replied to the topic Festival Dreams in the forum Blogs 8 years ago
It was so lovely to catch up with you @giselle 😊😊 Thank you for cheering me on. Hope the edits are going well xx
-
Andrew Wille and
Amanda Berriman (Skylark) are now friends 8 years ago - Load More

Got it in one!