@sandradavies
Active 1 hour, 2 minutes ago-
Kate replied to the topic Critique requested for Middle Grade Fantasy Chapter in the forum Critiques 6 years, 5 months ago
So for example, instead of saying โElspeth hoped he was asking about Dad.โ You could say. โPlease let him be asking about Dadโ. that gives us Elsbethโs thought directly, without filtering her thoughts through her.
Or, instead of โElspeth decided to ask Launde about it.โ โShe would ask Launde about it.โ Because weโre in Elsbethโs POV, you…[Read more]
-
Kate replied to the topic Critique requested for Middle Grade Fantasy Chapter in the forum Critiques 6 years, 5 months ago
Hi MCave โ thanks for sharing with us. I can see flying around on giant dragonflies would be very appealing to your MG market.
While this is fun, it does feel a bit distant and telly in places. It would be nice if you could move us a bit closer to the MC and let the reader experience the excitement, particularly with the flying, that Elspeth w…[Read more] -
JaneShuff replied to the topic Monthly comp – April 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 5 months ago
I have to agree with Ath, they were a wonderful lot of entries this month. Congratulations to Libby and to everybody who took part. Fingers crossed I might get an entry in this month!
-
JaneShuff posted an update 6 years, 5 months ago
Halloo Hallay (or however you spell it) A gruelling 3,400 words today but I’ve finished the first draft of the end chapter that’s been bugging me for so long. Truly hope I don’t despair when I read it back tomorrow!
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly comp – April 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 5 months ago
Loved the entries this time round. Very well done Libby. Raine, great topic. Came so close to telling you about my green rug, but it wasn’t to be.
-
Giselle replied to the topic Monthly comp – April 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 5 months ago
Thank you @Raine for the lovely feedback and for a comp idea that allowed us to think beyond our times, much needed at this point!
Congratulations to @Libby, yours is beautifully written and a well-deserved win.
Hapy May Day everyone! -
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly comp – April 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 5 months ago
Well done, Libby, thoroughly deserved.
-
Squidge replied to the topic Monthly comp – April 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 5 months ago
Well done, Libby! Loved your piece. Interesting to read the stories behind the objects from everyone.
-
Raine replied to the topic Monthly comp – April 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 5 months ago
Thank-you all. I just realised as I logged on to write this that we talked about making these comps run over two months rather than one? I’ll stick to one month being as that was how I set it. So. These were all a delight to read. So many memories and things that resonated with me very powerfully. Anyway, on to my thoughts.
@jllsted I am very…[Read more]
-
Xander Michael replied to the topic Monthly comp – April 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 5 months ago
*Contains foul language*
Falling in Love Ten Years Ago
โFuck! I canโt be late again! If I miss this signing I can kiss any chance of promotion goodbye. Hell, I can probably kiss my job goodbye as well this time! So where the hell are my keys?โ
He frantically looked around his new apartment of half…[Read more]
-
Raine posted an update 6 years, 5 months ago
24hrs ish left to enter this month’s comp… Give me something to do tomorrow other than supervise maths. Please. ๐
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Chasing the Dream in the forum Blogs 6 years, 5 months ago
I don’t remember this blog in detail, but I do remember thinking what a lucky individual you were to find such a wonderful spot.
-
Giselle posted an update 6 years, 5 months ago
@katemachon, Thank you! It’s great to see you. It was an exciting moment. I belong to a pre-history association, and am tempted to ask them if they can date it. What’s amazing is that all those tools are buried in the sand, then uncovered, as the dunes shift with the wind. What are the chances that that particular scraper would be temporarily…[Read more]
-
Skara Brae, also uncovered having been buried in the sand (though a very different climate!) has similar tools, which one used to be allowed to handle – Your vivid description brought that 1980s pleasure back to me – thank you.
-
Thank you for your mention of Skara Brae, Sandra. A new prehistoric site for me to add to the ever-growing bucket list. There’s something about these ancient dwellings that stikes a primordial nerve. ๐
-
Giselle, be warned – Orkney is dangerously addictive! We first went there in 1981 and this is the first year we’ve missed (not as it happened because of Covid19) There are SO MANY sites there, and heavily influenced the printmaking I was doing at the time .
-
-
-
Great to ‘see’ you too @giselle. I love that feeling of time and serendipity. Mind boggling indeed. I’ve been quite interested in flint knapping since reading the Clan of the Cave Bear series. The author goes into the method in quite some detail. I have a flint blade on my mantle piece. Not old but from a knapping demo. Incredibly sharp and I use…[Read more]
-
-
-
Kate posted an update 6 years, 5 months ago
@giselle – loved โA Perfect Fitโ. It felt preordained. That piece of flint waiting for you down the years.
-
Giselle replied to the topic Monthly comp – April 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 5 months ago
A perfect fit
When my yoga teacher organized a desert trek, I signed up immediately. Something in me wanted โ needed โ a week away from my life. Time off to think, read and write. I bought a new notebook and fountain pen, packed a few books and before I knew it a plane brought our group of 9 yogis to the Sahara.
Between the full moon I cou…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 6 years, 5 months ago
So, the Festival of Writing will move from York to the Internet this year.
It also seems that what for many is a big attraction, the meeting with…[Read more]
-
For me it works, big time. The up-front cost is way less (especially for members) so paying extra for a one to one session is not an issue as far as I am concerned. And it (presumably) keeps the headline price down for those who may not have anything to present to a one to one but simply want to learn.
-
That’s a good point. To be honest, I don’t imagine they had much choice and the reduced price is welcome. Plus they promise a session with Neil Gaiman. But never mind that: PHILIPPA EAST in June and AMANDA BERRIMAN in August!!!
-
I saw this too – wondered whether to sign up this time.
-
I’m not going to rush into it, but it might have some interesting bits – along with those I mentioned earlier ๐
-
Iโm thinking about it too although our broadband connection may not be upto it. Iโve told my SE course group about our internet troubles several times recently. Iโm becoming a broadband bore. Anyway, a stand-alone 121 therefore might suit me well if I choose to go for one.
-
-
Hello everyone! I’m venturing back into the online writing world, having spent most of my time on Twitter. I see some of you there but not everyone, so this is a means to reconnect. @libby, internect connexions are such a pain. Instead of locking down in our country house where we have oodles of space and nature all around, we stayed in Paris…[Read more]
-
Hello @giselle. Lockdown has certainly shown up with extra emphasis the significance of tech in our lives, and especially how its failings can disrupt us. I don’t do social media and live a fairly low-tech life, but making online connections has become vital and so frustrating when they don’t work ๐
-
-
-
-
-
Raine posted an update in the group
CoronaMo 6 years, 5 months ago1900 words today despite my computer (actually) screaming at me when I first turned it on this morning! Seems to have exorcised whatever ghost that was – phew. But then realised today’s words were about a ghost of a recording of the Little Red Ridinghood story so am expecting the computer to turn on with a howl tomorrow!
-
Raine posted an update 6 years, 5 months ago
10 days left to post something in the Monthly Comp. Not a ‘create a story’ prompt this time, so much as a ‘play with words’ one. So even if you’re feeling low on inspiration, give it a go.
-
JaneShuff posted an update 6 years, 5 months ago
Is anyone else watching Mark Kermodeโs Secrets of Cinema on BBC 4 and on IPlayer? I am really enjoying it and finding it quite interesting on structure and genre. Well worth a watch IMO. Of course it may have been on for ages and I am very behind the times!
- Load More
