@thea
Active 4 months, 1 week ago-
Jules joined the group
A place for Stupid Questions 6 years, 3 months ago -
Athelstone joined the group
A place for Stupid Questions 6 years, 3 months ago -
Andrew Wille joined the group
A place for Stupid Questions 6 years, 3 months ago -
JaneShuff replied to the topic That old enemy, Perfectionism in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 6 years, 3 months ago
I like character questionnaires but I don’t do them slavishly. If there are questions where I don’t know the answer and I don’t care, I leave them. However other questions may provoke a stream of thoughts that go off on a tangent and I follow them. I find they are a useful tool (and that is all) when I want to work on a particular character and…[Read more]
-
Squidge replied to the topic That old enemy, Perfectionism in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 6 years, 3 months ago
Doug – if your writing strikes you as ‘amateurish’, it’s probably a good thing; it means that, in the time since you originally wrote the novel you have grown and developed as a writer and are already – subconsciously – aware of it.
It’s very hard to do, but have you considered completely rewriting the story from scratch? It’s something I did…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic That old enemy, Perfectionism in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 6 years, 4 months ago
Am I allowed to agree with all of you? When a writer like Stephen King just says something and it works, it’s because he is utterly confident with his voice. I’m not his biggest fan, but I have read a lot of his work and I do appreciate the extraordinary flow of his prose. I’m willing to bet he’s not on the heavy side when he edits.
I’m terrible.…[Read more]
-
Squidge replied to the topic That old enemy, Perfectionism in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 6 years, 4 months ago
Mad has touched on what I posted (and lost!) yesterday.
Sometimes, I think we confuse perfectionism with finding our own, unique writer’s voice. We try so hard to make it sound ‘right’ that we forget we’re trying to express something of who we are, who our characters are, within the world we’ve created. Of course we want to make our stories the…[Read more]
-
Squidge replied to the topic That old enemy, Perfectionism in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 6 years, 4 months ago
Aaaargh! Just wrote a reply and it’s thrown me off and lost it all! Will post again tomorrow…
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Fantasy Anthology in the forum Podium 6 years, 4 months ago
Excellent news! I will look out for it!
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Tilda and the Mines of Pergatt in the forum Podium 6 years, 4 months ago
Oh Fabulous!! Can you let me know when the paperbacks are out?
-
Squidge replied to the topic Tilda and the Mines of Pergatt in the forum Podium 6 years, 4 months ago
Thank you x
Ath, I should have some paperbacks soon, after a leetle glitch with the cover (take a decko in RASSA for what happened!)
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition: June 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 4 months ago
Midsummer Madness
The ambush had been crueller for the glory of a wiped-clean sky, slowly coloured-in by a northeast Scotland, half-four sunrise, just three days past the solstice. It side-swiped the pleasures of his journey down, dulling the pearly greyness of the North Sea which had sheened pink then gold as it prepared itself for day. The…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 6 years, 4 months ago
Brilliant “webinar” by @philippaeast tonight. Really interesting insight into the her road to publication. Certainly had me thinking about what I’m doing right and what I’m doing wrong.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Fantasy Anthology in the forum Podium 6 years, 4 months ago
Huzzah, Kate! I shall keep my eyes open for it.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Tilda and the Mines of Pergatt in the forum Podium 6 years, 4 months ago
I’m SOOOOO late in saying a huge “WELL DONE”. I’ve bought the Kindle edition and hopefully I can get a signed paperback in future – even if I have to wait until York next year.
-
Elle replied to the topic Tilda and the Mines of Pergatt in the forum Podium 6 years, 4 months ago
Happy (belated) publication day!
-
Elle replied to the topic Fantasy Anthology in the forum Podium 6 years, 4 months ago
Congratulations Kate!
-
Squidge replied to the topic Fantasy Anthology in the forum Podium 6 years, 4 months ago
Yay! Well done!
-
Sandra posted an update 6 years, 4 months ago
Congratulations to @Philippa, who’s ‘Little white lies’ has been long-listed for the CWA John Creasey (New Blood) Dagger award.
-
More great news on the Den! Congratulations, Philippa. Long may the success continue!
-
Way to go!
-
Brilliant news x
-
It is great news. And those of us subscribed to Jericho Writers Online Festival can see Philippa talking about her road to publication on 10 June
-
Hello everyone, this is my first post as a new member and it is fitting seeing as I learned of the Den through that Webinar with Philippa East at the Jericho Festival. I was inspired by the journey she described and it has been the best event I have attended so far.
-
Welcome to the Den, Andrew.
-
-
-
-
-
-
Squidge posted an update in the group
CoronaMo 6 years, 4 months agoBack on Tilda 3 after some hair-raising stuff with Tilda 2 edits and typesets. Got a longlisting in a comp, and Tilda 2 has been published. Things are more settled, thank goodness. Perhaps I’m just in a better headspace?
How’s everyone else?
- Load More
