Tony Lyttle

  • Daedalus replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years, 1 month ago

    For me the town is the sticking point, as whatever I go with will necessarily narrow down what kind of story I can write a fair bit. That’s what comes of writing across a range of genres I suppose!

  • Burn

    The day the power went off for the last time, Dad started on about the country again.

    “When did this country change?” he growled. “Things never used to be like this. This is Britain, how did it get so the electric doesn’t work?”

    Gemma didn’t understood when he talked like this. It was like he felt the whole island was somehow the same. G…[Read more]

  • <p style=”font-weight: 400;”><b>Upwards and Downwards</b></p>
    <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>An unexpected ray of light pierced  the blanket of cloud which hung over the otherwise dull cemetery. A plot empty of earth with planks and ropes ready to lower a coffin screamed yet another death.
    </p>
    <p style=”font-weight: 400;”>Had the reaper taken…[Read more]

  • Athelstone replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years, 1 month ago

    I think the choices this year are kinder than they have ever been, really. In there impact on a possible story that is.

  • Athelstone posted an update 4 years, 1 month ago

    Still today and tomorrow left for a crack at the monthly comp. GO ON! You know you want to really. Give Alex some work to do with his judging.

  • I was just reading up on Gresford following this and noticed one striking coincidence. The name of an MP who castigated the mine’s management during a debate in parliament following the inquiry’s mealy-mouthed conclusions:

    David Grenfell…

  • Athelstone posted an update 4 years, 1 month ago

    An apology to some of the more active users of this site. The absolute last thing we need is your posts going astray, but that has happened. A while back we had some anti-spam software that blocked posts with internet links embedded, but this has been removed. Unfortunately, unknown to us, the same function is buried in the very plug-in that…[Read more]

  • You have a calm, authoratative voice that is perfect for these blogs, Richard. I start one of these and it’s like eating something delicious: I can’t stop until it’s finished.

    On the topic itself: it’s reassuring to think that we’ve come a long way since those unreconstructed days of holy capital. Then I consider the unreported disaster that has…[Read more]

  • Popping in after a long time away. Planning to stay but won’t be writing just yet. Hope all goes well with old friends.

  • Athelstone replied to the topic Choices in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years, 1 month ago

    My choices, courtesy of Jules (on my behalf)

    Town: Old Sodbury

    Choice: No there isn’t

  • Jules replied to the topic Choices in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years, 1 month ago

    Town – Droop

    Choice – yes there is

  • All Change!

    First thing I noticed was the sodding light switch. I’m stood like a plonker in the door to the kitchen, whacking the wall and finding—nothing. No light switch. Just a plastered wall. I mean, bloody hell! How’s a man supposed to make his bleedin’ morning cuppa if he can’t see what’s what? After about a minute of pointless slapping, I…[Read more]

  • Athelstone posted an update 4 years, 1 month ago

    It’s that time again. There’s a new group in town. Head on over to “All You Need” for details of the new Short Story Challenge.
    All are welcome.

  • Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago

    I did the same with this reply as so often before: typed it, went to check something, got distracted, forgot all about it, closed the laptop, assumed I’d sent it.

    Mark 2.

    Thanks @daedalus. I find that I remebered more than I thought, although We’reNot in Kansas Any More had eluded me for a bit. The two earlier ones were first, the Intercity…[Read more]

  • Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago

    2014-15 – Here and There

    2015-16 – Not in Kansas Any More

    2016-17 – Now and Then

    2017-18 – Whispers and Glances

    2018-19 – A Room with a View

    Those were the ones I took part in. I think there may have been one or two before I joined the Cloud, one of them called Intercity.

  • Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago

    Oh, yes, 2016/17 was penultimate one wholly on the Cloud (Alan’s last challenge: Now and Then). Was yours Craquelure, a rather unnerving and powerful story about a painting?

    Kate’s was from 2017/18 (My first Challenge: Whispers and Glances)

    Mine was from 2014/15 (can anybody remember all the theme names on th Cloud? I know some)

  • Athelstone replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago

    I think you’re right.

    There’s another challenge brewing. Should be up in a week or so.

  • Daedalus replied to the topic CAS longlist in the forum Podium 4 years, 1 month ago

    And quite right it is too!

    Am I right in supposing that at least three of the four listed stories from Denizens were from Den or Cloud winter challenges? (Mine was from the 2016-17 challenge, which iirc was the penultimate one to be wholly staged on the Cloud)

  • Load More