-
Athelstone posted an update 7 years ago
3 fabulous entries in the October Comp so far. Why not have a go?
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago
Lost and Found and Lost
Arthur was rooting through a drawer in the garage, the one reserved for plumbing parts, searching for a tap washer. His gnarled hands scrabbled through off-cuts of plastic water pipe, white nylon fittings, a flushing mechanism still in its packaging, old tobacco tins holding copper olives, bolts, nuts and split pins. No…[Read more]
-
Jules replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years ago@janeshuff try going on Youtube and looking for News items. Pick somewhere English speakinh and aim for a local news report. I’ve found there’s lots of excerpts of dialogue in local interest stories that way.
-
Hilary replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoMy books will be arriving shortly. Excited!
-
Hilary replied to the topic September 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago
Well done, Athelstone. And thank you, Squidge.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic September 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago
Thanks Libby and Sandra – and once again, thanks to Squidge!
October beckons.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic September 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago
I might be a bit over sensitive, but it’s the kind of trope that surfaces when feelings are being tested: stories about minorities and their secret evil ways. The classic cases would be all the tales of alien mind-control and body take over that were so popular during the anti-communist frenzy in the US during the late 40s and 50s, or the ‘Yellow…[Read more]
-
Athelstone started the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago
I recently found some writing notes that I’d forgotten about. I was surprised by my reaction. That seems like a theme to me. Something (anything) forgotten then discovered. Surprising reaction. 400 to 500 words (tops).
-
Athelstone replied to the topic September 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago
Thanks for a fab competition, Squidge. You’ve brought a tear to my eye. I’ve been doing the monthly competition for nearly 10 years, although with fewer entries in the last few months, and this is my first win! There were some super entries this month; I’m really pleased.
I re-read my entry and worried that it might be steering too close to the…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 7 years ago
Wow! Came across some notes I scribbled down about 5 years ago: events in the life of a character in a book I’ve put aside. Not prepared for how guilty it would make me feel. It really seemed as though I abandoned somebody important – almost like a real person. What are my life lessons here? Stop scribbling stuff down? If I do, don’t read it…[Read more]
-
Perhaps the last question is the right one. Or return to the character if not the same story. It sounds as though the character has life or you wouldn’t feel bothered about them. Someone to come back to when the time is right?
-
I’ve got two notebooks full of random notes on characters or ideas. Most of it will never turn into something, but they’re great for when I’m feeling a bit blank – looking through and seeing what wants to be written. If you’re feeling that guilt, then perhaps that idea wants to be written enough for you to spend a little bit of time expanding on it?
-
I’ve written a fair amount of this character, but killed her before her history unfolded later in the story. It was during that unfolding that I began to like her. I was feeling bad enough about having done her in, but then I came across a load of notes about a chance encounter she has with an old friend after a separation of several years. I have…[Read more]
-
-
-
-
Hilary replied to the topic replying to agent rejections in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years ago
Thanks, all. I think from now on I won’t reply to form rejections. Certainly I shouldn’t have done it so long after I received them. It was just that tweet making me think I’d been rude! Perhaps she wasn’t talking about form rejections.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic replying to agent rejections in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years ago
Do you mean that you sent a ‘thank you’ to the agents after they declined? I haven’t done that in the past. Not that I’ve made many submissions lately.
-
Hilary started the topic replying to agent rejections in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years ago
What’s your experience? What are your thoughts?
I’ve been submitting to agents this summer and had a few full requests (all subsequently declined) and several other declines. Initially I replied (just thank you) to the ones who’d requested the full, and one or two others I’d met, and not to the others since I’d read somewhere that agents don’t…[Read more] -
Hilary replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoFantastic @woolleybeans. Thank you so much for this.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic September 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago
Oh yes, 373(ish)
-
Athelstone replied to the topic September 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago
Tortoiseshell Specs
I wear tortoiseshell specs. My dear old mum did too. And Dad. A family tradition that I hadn’t really thought about. I mean, we had so many things that I hardly even noticed. Family traditions, that is. There were words we used that I thought were just normal. Mum called me dinny if I did something daft and lairy when I was n…[Read more]
-
Hilary replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoI think I like Squidge’s idea, because I’d be better with some discipline.
-
-
Athelstone posted an update 7 years ago
Well, here I am looking out at the Haymarket tram stop in Edinburgh from a cosy AirBnB. It would have been nice to catch up with local Denizens but I have my family with me and it’s been a packed weekend around a family wedding so not much opportunity. Flying back to Sussex by the Sea later this PM so won’t be feeling much like doing responsible…[Read more]
-
Hilary replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoIf I do commit to this, I would definitely prefer group interaction, including giving and receiving feedback. It’s true, though, that co-ordinating timing for a group, over two years, will be tricky.
- Load More
