-
Daedalus posted an update 7 years, 3 months ago
My WW2 novella ‘Harpoon’ is 99p on Kindle for a few days if anyone fancies giving it a go https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SLM49R4
-
GippsGirl replied to the topic Help with a Title, please. in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 3 months ago
“A Lyttle Goes a Long Way”
The Improbable Life of an Ulster Storyteller
gets my vote.Improbable tale feeds into the stereotype of Irish blarney. That title tells the reader before they’ve turned the cover that what follows is not to be believed, so why bother buying the book?
Improbable life suggests a life fully lived, a life of intrigue and…[Read more]
-
GippsGirl replied to the topic Help with a Title, please. in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 3 months ago
I, too, think a subtitle (strapline?) works, though I’m rather partial to Kaz’s suggestion of ‘improbable’ which suggests an especially rollicking good story from an Ulster Storyteller.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Bi-Monthly Comp – May/June 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 3 months ago
Great idea for the competition, Raine.
Sandra – well deserved. Absolutely intriguing start. -
John S Alty replied to the topic Bi-Monthly Comp – May/June 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 3 months ago
Thanks for a good competition idea, Raine, and well done Sandra.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Bi-Monthly Comp – May/June 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 3 months ago
Great idea for the competition Raine, and a lovely selection of entries. Well done Sandra – worthy winner.
I apologise for not joining in btw. I fully intended to, but as I’m between WIPs I was going to have to start something new. I had some ideas but every little spare moment was taken up with other things and at twenty to midnight when I was…[Read more]
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Help with a Title, please. in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 3 months ago
Has to be “A Lyttle goes a long way.” Excellent title.
-
GippsGirl started the topic MacBook users: solution to missing forward-delete key in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 3 months ago
I indulged in a MacBook 12″ a while back, thinking it would be a wonderfully light laptop to carry around for my writing. I was horrified to discover that there is no forward-delete key, only the backspace. Forward-delete is only possible by the simultaneous use of the Function key + backspace. For me, it interrupts the flow when writing and…[Read more]
-
GippsGirl replied to the topic Help with a Title, please. in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 3 months ago
Hi Tony,
For me, Unrelenting Limelight doesn’t appeal. The word ‘unrelenting’ suggests something burdensome and turgid, and it’s not a pleasant counter to ‘limelight.’
‘A Lyttle goes a long way’ is much more upbeat and inviting.
GG
-
-
GippsGirl replied to the topic Help with a Title, please. in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 3 months ago
Hi Tony,
Like Squidge and Bella, I prefer ‘A Lyttle Goes a Long Way’ because it’s a clever play on words and makes one wonder on the nature of ‘a long way.’
One phrase that sprang to mind was ‘jaw-dropping tales.’ Adjectives such as amazing / astonishing / astounding / incredible tend to be done to death and wouldn’t capture my attention.
Hope…[Read more]
-
GippsGirl posted an update 7 years, 3 months ago
Greeting friends, says I sheepishly peeking out from behind my laptop. I’ve been distracted elsewhere – nothing particularly exciting, but sometimes life just gets in the way and one gets out of the habit of logging in. I hope Denizens are well and productive? I see that JohnT and MadIguana have both had recent successes, so huge c…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Bath Novel Award Successes in the forum Podium 7 years, 3 months ago
AAHHH I need to keep up. Well done you two!
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Multiple Den Success in the forum Podium 7 years, 3 months ago
Many thanks Jane and Thea! If anyone who has read it could consider leaving a review on Amazon and/or Goodreads, that would be wonderful. Thanks for your review Squidge, delighted you liked it
-
Jules replied to the topic New Book Release: Revolt (The King's Knight) in the forum Podium 7 years, 3 months ago
Thanks, Jim. And I’m so glad you enjoyed the Oath and Crown duology 😊
-
Jules replied to the topic New Book Release: Revolt (The King's Knight) in the forum Podium 7 years, 3 months ago
Most probably true, Richard. There’s a great youtube video showing people wearing full plate armour doing somersaults. Squires were required to master all the courtly and manly arts – combat, riding, tumbling, swimming, dancing etc – and often practised all of them in full armour. (Well probably not swimming because then there would have been far…[Read more]
-
Jules replied to the topic New Book Release: Revolt (The King's Knight) in the forum Podium 7 years, 3 months ago
I think you’re probably right there, Daed. I doubted my own findings so I consulted a few horsey people (breeders, riders etc) A horse can comfortably carry a third of it’s own weight. You’re average destrier of 15 hands weighed 1200 lbs. So they could comfortably carry 360lbs.
Assuming the average height and weight of a knight was 5’7″ and 150lbs…[Read more] -
Daedalus replied to the topic New Book Release: Revolt (The King's Knight) in the forum Podium 7 years, 3 months ago
I wonder if there was a bit of modern extrapolation going on with the notion of destriers being really huge, based on the misconception of the weight of armour? I admit I thought they were vast until I looked into it. If it was thought that armoured knights needed to be winched onto their horses, it would need to be a seriously hefty horse
-
Jules replied to the topic New Book Release: Revolt (The King's Knight) in the forum Podium 7 years, 4 months ago
Thanks, Sandra 🙂 re destriers – apparently the modern shire/ cart/ draught horses are descended from them. Basically they bred some warhorses too big to have enough speed for battle and that’s where the latter great horses come from. I too was surprised to learn that a Medieval warhorse was usually only 15 – 16 hands high. (Apparently I also…[Read more]
-
Jules replied to the topic New Book Release: Revolt (The King's Knight) in the forum Podium 7 years, 4 months ago
Thanks, everyone 🙂
I am just about halfway through writing the second book now so the encouragement is much appreciated.
@JaneShuff – that has to be one of the best TBRs 😀
@Bella – I thought I was being flippant when I spoke about lads marrying their mother-in-laws, but having checked, there were cases where families got split up and the…[Read more]
- Load More

Thanks for the heads up, Daeds. It’s now waiting for me on my Kindle!
I’m looking forward to reading this, Daeds!
OOh … off to find it now…
Thanks all! Hope you enjoy it