@woolleybeans
Active 6 months ago-
Athelstone replied to the topic Richard's Literary Byways: Fragment 31, by Sappho in the forum Blogs 2 years, 2 months ago
Great blog, Richard. Sadly I have very little internet right now. Will get back asap. Also, yikes! One of the updates has broken my menus (at least in mobile mode).
-
RichardB started the topic Richard's Literary Byways: Fragment 31, by Sappho in the forum Blogs 2 years, 2 months ago
Something a bit different this time: a voice speaking from the shadows of two-and-a-half millennia and more ago, in words so timeless and universal they might have been written yesterday.
It was a couple of years ago that I stumbled across this piece on the Internet, and I don’t remember what led me to it. But I do have a vivid memory of my…[Read more]
-
Definitely good going, Richard. Thank you for this post.
Of these various translations I prefer the ones with shorter lines. They feel more immediate, less worked. That seems to be the magic of Sappho’s lines – the way they leap almost three millennia with apparent simplicity to show that little has changed. It’s a cliche to say that, I know, but…[Read more]
-
-
RichardB posted an update 2 years, 2 months ago
Re Sandra’s comment from five days ago about it being a shame more Denizens can’t find the time to enter the monthly comp, sorry, but with me it’s more lack of inspiration rather than lack of time. Maybe I should try a bit harder, but in the meantime , and maybe to make up for it, one of my notorious blogs is on the way. Watch this space.
-
Seagreen replied to the topic August 2024 monthly competition in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years, 2 months ago
Not sure it meets the brief and it’s a bit on the short side, but it’s where the fancy took me, so…
Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?
Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? Nay. Thrice nay, unless that day be cold and dreich.
Then shall I liken thee to the first rose of summer? Nay, again, save that bloom be not perfect and proud but…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 2 years, 2 months ago
Apologies to anybody who had a problem logging in to the Den in the last couple of days. Our hosting company jumped the gun (by a day or so) and turned off SSL (Secure Socket Layer which provides us with some of our site security) prior to the bill falling due.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition July 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years, 2 months ago
Well done Libby! And well done to Sandra, too. Made me smile!
I didn’t read the other entries until after I’d posted mine, but I have to say 1) I was struck by the way we all had some common themes 2) I thought at once that Libby’s piece was a bit special.
Thanks for the competition, Terrie.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition July 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years, 2 months ago
Don’t ever cross a crocodile.
Back when Chubby was chubby and not six inches taller than me and good looking, his nan died, and he went to the funeral. Afterwards, we met up near his gaff and he was in a bit of a moody with me.
‘All your fault, Teabreak, you twat!’ he goes.
‘Woss that then,’ I say, and I offer him a Number 6 to make up f…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly comp – June 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years, 3 months ago
Thank you for the challenge, Libby. And very well done to Terrie for another powerful piece of story telling.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly comp – June 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years, 3 months ago
Energy and shame
Understanding is a difficult word sometimes. We say, ‘I understand her,’ meaning that we know her reasons for doing something or other. It was as expected. Electricity feels rather different. Do I understand it? I mean, what is it? I was taught a load of rubbish at school about the movement of charged electrons. That isn’t elect…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition – May 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years, 4 months ago
Thanks for the comp, Ath! Another opportunity to stretch myself ☺️
And congratulations to Libby for winning, and the rest of us for giving it a go ????
-
Athelstone posted an update 2 years, 4 months ago
Sorry for any oddities and issues with the site. I had a bumper crop of major updates to install and although I did my best to slip these in seemlessly, there are one or two niggles. In particular, Buddypress, which gives the site many of its social networking features had a complete rewrite. I did check all the prerequisites and tried it out on…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – May 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years, 4 months ago
Why do you always insist on making this difficult?
Terrie’s Plant Song is almost a poem to the language of flowers. Rich and ancient with a deadly heart. The melody, she writes, is intoxicating, and I can’t think of a better word for the whole piece. I said “anything floral” and it’s hard to imagine something more floral than this. A wonderfully…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition – May 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years, 4 months ago
THE GATEKEEPER
They closed the Winter Gardens. Lack of funding or resources or some other bullshit excuse. Redundancy notices for the gardeners who’d been there for years, and redeployment to grass-cutting duties for the young apprentices who still didn’t know their aquilegia from their allium. They stored the tools in the old stable buil…[Read more]
-
Athelstone started the topic Monthly Competition – May 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years, 5 months ago
April showers bring May flowers. they say. But when is a flower a flower and when is it a weed? Anything floral in less than 501 words.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Comp April 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years, 5 months ago
Seagreen, thanks so much. A brilliant prompt for April. Thanks also to my co-authors. There were some great pieces of writing.
-
Seagreen replied to the topic How I Cope With My Box of Bugs. in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 2 years, 5 months ago
I love to plan. That’s why nothing ever gets written.
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Comp April 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years, 5 months ago
Honestly, I’m sorry this has taken me so long…
All the entries left me wishing I’d given you more words to play with since each of them teased with hidden depths.
Ath – so easy to read (as ever!) Engaging, apparently effortless writing, but so many questions! Who was this man? Where did he come from and where would he end up? More importan…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Comp April 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years, 5 months ago
Sorry! I haven’t forgotten, just waiting for a break in the clouds.
If I don’t have time tonight, then results will definitely be posted tomorrow when I’m off.
Thank you for your patience. -
Athelstone replied to the topic How I Cope With My Box of Bugs. in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 2 years, 5 months ago
To be fare, sometimes I don’t know the ending – or the story.
-
RichardB replied to the topic How I Cope With My Box of Bugs. in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 2 years, 5 months ago
Stephen King, Ath? He’s said that he never knows what’s going to happen when he starts a novel, and he’s published nearly seventy of them.
Your method (if we can grace it with that name), Ath, sounds very much like mine: a rough idea of the story arc and the ending, and not much more. The nearest I ever got to planning was to write out the rather…[Read more]
- Load More
