Woolleybeans

  • KazG replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 2 months ago

    Phew! Nothing new to add to add really. I don’t spend much time here because I’m spread way too thin as it is – life is crazy trying to keep a travel business alive during this time and also publicise book one and edit book two and I genuinely struggle with fitting it all in and not burning out.

    However – when I do have time and inclination,…[Read more]

  • Knicks posted an update 5 years, 2 months ago

    Just did a thing for the monthly competition. 12 more days to get it, if you have a mind to! Prompt is sand or grit, 100-500 words.

  • Grit

    The crunch of ice between my teeth – cold edges, agitated nerves, sabulous sensitivity. All coalescing into sharp points of pleasure in my body, my brain. Soothing. Assuasive. Momentary. Cup after cup of chipped ice; happiness only until they are empty. Nausea quickly returning.

    The grit of sand and salt and soap beneath my fingers, the…[Read more]

  • RichardB replied to the topic Beta Reading Discussion in the forum Blogs 5 years, 2 months ago

    I’m probably too instinctive for my own good. I’ve been told at various times that I have a natural feel for plot and pace, that my characters speak with their own distinctive voices, even that I’m good at that notoriously difficult thing, sex, but I never step aside and coldly think about any of these things. When I see phrases like…[Read more]

  • Will see what I can do between now and the deadline, Libby 😊✨

  • Knicks replied to the topic "I write like" in the forum Coffee Shop 5 years, 2 months ago

    I write like Margaret Atwood apparently 😄

  • Knicks replied to the topic Beta Reading Discussion in the forum Blogs 5 years, 2 months ago

    This is a really great thread! The checklist and things-to-consider offered up so far are treasure. I’ve only beta read twice, and the fact that the writers are gorgeous at their writing probably made it easy for me to gush feedback and even get critical (mostly just asking questions for my own clarity, and hopefully theirs as well) without…[Read more]

  • Knicks posted an update 5 years, 2 months ago

    Gonna try to catch up on my reading, starting this weekend with entries from the last short story challenge ✨

  • RichardB replied to the topic Beta Reading Discussion in the forum Blogs 5 years, 2 months ago

    I don’t reckon myself as much of a beta reader either. Partly it may be lack of confidence in my own opinions, but mostly I think it’s because I seem to have trouble thinking analytically about writing, including my own. Years ago when I did the S-E Course, I repeatedly had the experience of Debi, or one of the others, telling me I’d been clever…[Read more]

  • Why do you say you’re a terrible beta reader?

    It’s a bit like when I had to read books for exams at school. It was no reflection on the work itself and I’ve read many of the books since with great pleasure. Something about picking up a book for a purpose (a meta-purpose if you like) that isn’t simply pleasure, idle curiosity, whatever, and my…[Read more]

  • JaneShuff replied to the topic Beta Reading Discussion in the forum Blogs 5 years, 2 months ago

    Wow. So so much interesting and useful stuff, @Libby ! It would make a brilliant checklist for anyone. It will take me a bit of time to assimilate it all. I will say though, with my ‘Being betaread’ hat on, that I wouldn’t expect a beta reader of a whole novel to cover all that for me in one go if anyone is feeling a bit daunted.

    @athelstone Why…[Read more]

  • Thanks for the topic. May I add that I’m a terrible beta reader. I would like to be more useful and hope to pick up some tips if this discussion develops and hopefully turns into something more.

  • Here’s a separate topic for a discussion about Beta Reading. Please feel free to contribute to the discussion both on your experiences of having your work beta read and on beta reading other people’s book.

    I’ll kick it off by repeating that Beta Reading has taught me a lot. I approach it from my experience of the book as a reader. Noting down my…[Read more]

  • RichardB replied to the topic "I write like" in the forum Coffee Shop 5 years, 3 months ago

    Yes, in my first passage my MC was being smitten at his first sight of a young lady, and in the second someone was getting blasted with a shotgun. Hmm, content…

  • JaneShuff replied to the topic "I write like" in the forum Coffee Shop 5 years, 3 months ago

    James Joyce!

  • JaneShuff replied to the topic "I write like" in the forum Coffee Shop 5 years, 3 months ago

    I’ll try with a more lyrical section… watch this space.

  • JaneShuff replied to the topic "I write like" in the forum Coffee Shop 5 years, 3 months ago

    Ha ha! I write like Stephen King! I think Libby is right though and the program looks at content mostly as this was a particularly horror full section!

  • RichardB replied to the topic "I write like" in the forum Coffee Shop 5 years, 3 months ago

    Now there’s interesting, as we say in Wales. Based on two short extracts from the last novel I wrote, I write either like James Joyce or (wait for it) Dan Brown. Not much difference…

  • Knicks replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago

    I am all for the idle chatter and discussions on beta reading as well. I think that is another wonderful pro of what we have here, along with the comps. The ability to get quality critique on the works we want and hope to publish. It’s like the second, necessary step on the road to being a writer. You do the work and write the thing, and then you…[Read more]

  • Load More