Woolleybeans

  • Janette posted an update 1 year, 4 months ago

    Time passes so quickly. Would you believe there are only six days left to enter the May competition? Already four stunning entries but, go on, please make my job to pick out a winner even more difficult – I like a challenge. Give me an essence of May.

    • I started a story but life has been busy. Let’s see if I can a) finish it and b) it’s not too embarrassingly draft-like to share.

  • May

    The cactus on the table, out there on the decking, it’s gone mad. Look there are four new paddle things growing off it. Mr Hoskins from next door says they’re called “cladodes”. He should know, seeing as he’s a botanist or something at the college. It’s a modified stem, apparently, which serves the function of a leaf. He came over for a cup o…[Read more]

  • Princes Street, Edinburgh, in early May. The morning is bright, the sky opaque with a promise of blue, and there’s enough chill in the air to warrant the cardigan I left on the back of the chair in the kitchen. I’m walking on the sunny side of the street – the side across from the gardens – with measured, purposeful steps as I head to a train…[Read more]

  • Today’s walk gave me the inspiration I needed, while I hummed away to May Day songs. I’d like you to write a story with a May (Day) theme.

    It could be goings-on at a festival or fair while Maypole and Morris Dancers dance in the May. Or a nod to the Green Man (Jack-in-the-Green) defeating the Holly King of winter. Perhaps be inspired by the lines…[Read more]

  • Congratulations, J! Well deserved ☺️

    Thanks to Libby for challenging my poor sluggish brain cells with an extraordinary prompt, and to Sandra for an excellent read.

  • Heck, I did not expect that. Thank you for such an awesome feedback, Libby, and for a competition prompt which challenged my writerly boundaries. Also well done to Sea and Sandra for their excellent stories.
    I have nothing in mind for the next topic – a walk is in order to mull it over, not that I need and excuse to set out in this wonderful sunshine.

  • Oh BOTHER! So sorry, Libby. I confess I found the prompt a little tricky, but I was getting the start of an idea. Then I got myself involved with something and forgot all about it.

    Well done to all three entrants, especially Janette. I liked the stories very much.

  • Janette posted an update 1 year, 5 months ago

    I wondered if I could ask a favour of any fellow writers who enjoy character-led novels. The current title of my book Saving Grace has never really sat easy with me, being aware it also the title of a major film (one of my favourites), and I more recently learned it is the name of a US series, besides being used several times by other authors…[Read more]

    • Hi @janette , I immediately liked (Don’t) Call Me Graceless and
      My Growing Chain of Big Fat Lies. Is Fibs an alternative title?
      The first title suggests character, the second plot. They both have voice.
      I’m not keen on Fibs. It feels vague.

    • I like ‘The Art of invisible mending’ which offers intrigue.

  • <u>Parsnip Wine

    </u>

    Our back-facing neighbours were the first to acknowledge our arrival. Each time I looked out, the ever-preened woman was at her bay window, dog-in-hand (at least I think the explosion of fur was of canine origin). Gerald supposed she were sun-worshipping, her glances only polite curiosity – then he always did see the good i…[Read more]

  • Janette posted an update 1 year, 5 months ago

    And sorry for the belated congratulations, Libby – amid the business of being employed again, I thought I had already posted my response to your comp win, which was a fine, worthy entry.

    I confess I didn’t know what to do with the April challenge you posted, but some thought during a weekend walk gave me a lightbulb moment.

  • Janette posted an update 1 year, 5 months ago

    Kate, brilliant stuff. Congratulations!

  • Ooh! Congratulations! 😀

  • UNTITLED (357 WORDS)

     

    Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C.

    Scrub the parsnips thoroughly, top and tail, then cut in half lengthways.

    It’s Mum’s old recipe. I’ve never used it before, but George’s parents are coming for dinner and his dad is especially fond of roast parsnips, apparently. Or so George would have me believe. Honestly? I think i…[Read more]

  • Really well deserved. I love the fact that you carried the two MCs along for ages and are reaping the rewards!

  • Thanks for the kind words, @sandradavies! I appreciate it. And congratulations to you, Libby! I enjoyed yours and every other entry coming out of this prompt. It was a good one 🙂

  • Thanks, Sandra, for the prompt, which I did find somewhat challenging (not a bad thing).

    Fantastic entries from everyone else! You motivated me to (try to!) do better.

  • You may not have expected it, but you should believe it, Libby. really sharp story there.

    Thanks, Sandra. I enjoyed that prompt. And thanks to all the other entrants; I really enjoyed reading through them this month.

  • “you will mistake the gulls

    for the screaming of a girl

    and run out of your flat

    to an empty landing”

     

    you will turn your head this way and that and peer over the railing to the stairwell below,

    seeing no-one, hearing nothing, not even an echo of the sound you followed in the first place. You will grasp the red-painted railing with both…[Read more]

  • Of course, I felt stupid when I realised. There I was standing on the landing in shorts and tee-shirt with my apron on. “World’s Best Chef” it said on the font. Katya bought it for me for Christmas—oh—must be ten years ago. Mrs. Hardcastle from number seventy was out there as well. I wonder if she thought…

    ‘Morning Mrs. Hardcastle. It was the gu…[Read more]

  • Promise Landing

    (410 words*)

    The screams tear Seth like cheap paper from shallow, disturbing dreams, and he gasps awake, eyes on the living darkness that writhes, malevolent with secrets, in the corners of the room. His gut can tell it’s way beyond midmorning, though the blackout curtain over the single window could convince him it’s the wit…[Read more]

  • Load More