Xander Michael

  • Stealing Sandra’s idea here and giving you the first line of a poem to do with as you will. It’s from Robert Frost’s ‘The Road Not Taken’

    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood

    No lower limit to the word count, but no more than 400 words, please. You have until midnight on August 31st to indulge your imagination.

  • You know, I’m always surprised when I win the monthly comp (not that it happens often!) but never more so than this time. Such strong entries – I did feel mine was a little lightweight in comparison.

    Thank you, @Libby, for hosting the comp and for such fabulous feedback, and thanks to Ath, Sandra, Squidge and Knicky for making me work harder to…[Read more]

  • Thank you for hosting this month’s comp, Libby, and for your thoughtful words on my piece. And congratulations, Seagreen, I thought your piece was wonderfully evocative. I enjoyed each entry for this month.

    @Libby Grit was about my rather difficult pregnancy, and how the only peace and pleasure I found (from the daily waves of nausea and hostile…[Read more]

  • Brilliantly well done Seagreen, and thank you Libby for the challenge, your insightful comments and for picking my favourite as winner, though all were enjoyable variations on the theme.

  • Sandra replied to the topic Beta Reading Discussion in the forum Blogs 5 years, 2 months ago

    @ Libby – I confess I never print off an MS even for my own novels, but I do, when I’m feeling confident that the end is nigh, order it as a paperback book from Blurb.

    @ Richard – thank you for that description ‘instinctive writer’ which very accurately describes my creative approach (and as an artist too) It may sound like a talent but the…[Read more]

  • Sandra replied to the topic Beta Reading Discussion in the forum Blogs 5 years, 2 months ago

    WHOOPS and apologies – I missed this, through being away and then returning with much to catch up with.
    I’ve many, many reasons to be immeasurably grateful for the careful reading, insight and sensible, sensitive suggestions put forward by several beta readers of my novels while being aware that I am likely a poor beta reader, partly because I…[Read more]

    • Gosh, 200 books a year. That’s really impressive. I think I’m doing well – for me – at 60 p.a.

  • EMERGENCE

    You stand alone, in the northwest corner of the cellar deck, gloved hands resting on the handrail and face tilted to the sun.

    Breathe in.
    Breathe out.

    Above you, clouds rag-roll an azure sky, while beneath you, an aging platform sways to the rhythm of the North Sea.

    Breathe in.
    Breathe out.

    Solitude. It catches you unawares,…[Read more]

  • Knicks posted an update 5 years, 2 months ago

    Just did a thing for the monthly competition. 12 more days to get it, if you have a mind to! Prompt is sand or grit, 100-500 words.

  • Grit

    The crunch of ice between my teeth – cold edges, agitated nerves, sabulous sensitivity. All coalescing into sharp points of pleasure in my body, my brain. Soothing. Assuasive. Momentary. Cup after cup of chipped ice; happiness only until they are empty. Nausea quickly returning.

    The grit of sand and salt and soap beneath my fingers, the…[Read more]

  • Will see what I can do between now and the deadline, Libby 😊✨

  • Knicks replied to the topic "I write like" in the forum Coffee Shop 5 years, 2 months ago

    I write like Margaret Atwood apparently 😄

  • Knicks replied to the topic Beta Reading Discussion in the forum Blogs 5 years, 2 months ago

    This is a really great thread! The checklist and things-to-consider offered up so far are treasure. I’ve only beta read twice, and the fact that the writers are gorgeous at their writing probably made it easy for me to gush feedback and even get critical (mostly just asking questions for my own clarity, and hopefully theirs as well) without…[Read more]

  • Knicks posted an update 5 years, 2 months ago

    Gonna try to catch up on my reading, starting this weekend with entries from the last short story challenge ✨

  • Knicks replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 2 months ago

    I am all for the idle chatter and discussions on beta reading as well. I think that is another wonderful pro of what we have here, along with the comps. The ability to get quality critique on the works we want and hope to publish. It’s like the second, necessary step on the road to being a writer. You do the work and write the thing, and then you…[Read more]

  • Sandra replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 2 months ago

    Sorry Ath, but I didn’t reply to your “images have always been here, just not uploading images” because I wasn’t sure what you were getting at.

  • Barny replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 2 months ago

    OK, but what about the many other advantages of discourse?

  • Sandra replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago

    I do think Bella’s beta readers might be an idea, but perhaps, at least to start with, omit the financial bit and just set up a register of those willing and those wanting, with some detail of genre, etc and the willingness to send a sample chapter to see if they’re compatible.

    And the possibility of uploading pictures, I’d say Handle With Care,…[Read more]

  • Barny replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago

    @athelstone have you looked at moving to a 21st century forum like discourse? I use it on talk.restarters.net and it’s pretty slick. You can get email notifications and reply by email; can upload pictures, has trust levels and you can restrict areas.

  • “Above the tideline”
    first line provided by Thomas A Clarke

    Above the tideline, an old blue rope is entangled in a bramble bush. I gaze at it while retying my hair, turning to face into the wind, risking the scratch of sand beneath my already sore eyelids; its crunching against my teeth.
    Sand, salt and shell fragments speckle the twists of it,…[Read more]

  • Load More