-
Janette replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
Sorry I’m so late to this. As many of you know, I’ve had rather a bad accident (tripped on a pothole) and suffered several injuries, including breaks to both arms, particularly the left elbow (I’m left handed).I have been warned the recovery will be long and involved, and I’ll probably not recover full movement to my left arm/elbow. Typing is slow…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition – June 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 3 months ago
Congratulations, Libby! And thanks, Ath ☺️
Enjoyed reading all of these. -
Barny replied to the topic Monthly Competition – June 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 3 months ago
Well done, Libby – a deserved win!! And thanks Ath.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – June 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 3 months ago
Yes indeed, Well done Libby – such beautiful writing. [And well done Ath for getting it right ;-)] Also for the theme of the competition which chimed with the greater degree of looking back I occasionally do these days.
-
Thank you @sandradavies . I very much enjoyed your story too. A pleasure to read.
-
-
Barny replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
DoW problems: Usability just isnโt what it should be; not being able to post pictures is a pain; definitely doesnโt promote idle chat.
The wordcloud was very far from perfect, but had one significant difference: the course offerings meant new people were always joining, wondering wth was going on, some figuring it out or persisting without fig…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition – June 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 3 months ago
It’s not great, but it’s an entry… ๐
THAT BIT BETWEEN WHITEKIRK AND TYNINGHAME, NEAR TO BINNING WOOD
(276 WORDS inc TITLE)
I wondered if there might be ticks. In the grass, I mean. After all, theyโre rampant in this weather, arenโt they? And theyโre nasty little buggers. The consequences of Lyme disease can haunt you for years…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
First off, apologies. I am not as active on here as I was, and definitely not as active as I was on the Cloud. Partly, recently that’s been due to being swamped with book release stuff. Partly though it’s because of the format & the way the site kills off chat. Both in hiding replies and in it’s weird notifications limitations. I think that’s a…[Read more]
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
Site was ‘murdered’ because owner decided to shut it down then did so, Telling no-one and refusing to answer all communications thereafter.
I do think we that were there were lucky, insofar as it was a chatty, supportive active group, probably at the peak of its activity, which made the death of it al the more tragic,
-
Knicks replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
A quick run of thoughts apologies for typos. I came to the Cloud just before it collapsed so I do not have the same level of emotional investment as those who were floating there together for years and years. I discovered and came for my Random lovelies, and stayed for my Random lovelies. They are my only priority. I show up when they show up, and…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
Read this, Ath, and will ponder (not that I think I’ve any answers.) but a year in which to turn around is an excellent idea.
Another thought, along the lines of ‘if you pay for it you make sure you get your money’s worth; would be more convincing were this as lively and well-functioning as we’d like it to be.
But, The site I cut my writing teeth…[Read more] -
Barny replied to the topic Monthly Competition – June 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 3 months ago
Blimey, managed to write something and very pleased to be able to enter the comp. Was a bit concerned at managing to get to 250 words and wanting to post without having to DQ myself! Happily at 256 words including title. ๐
This might be the day.
He hadnโt closed the curtains. The sunbeam found the bed at 6.37 and warmed his left foot at 6…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – June 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 3 months ago
Another fairy tale
Was it when, age three or maybe four and my mother, part way through their evening meal, seated at the table with husband, husband’s sister and husband’s parents, met my bad dream request for comfort with a withering ‘Why should I help you when this morning you said you didn’t love me?’. I knew then the rest of them didn’t…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition – May 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 4 months ago
@sandradavies You’re being too hard on yourself. I was quite impressed with your Urban McGonagall and your courage in trying something different ๐
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – May 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 4 months ago
Thanks Gail, for your kind words and well done Ath! I had such high hopes of myself with this theme, having had several ancient, (I was 8 years old) nut-brown men in a Hertfordshire village to base a tale upon but strive as I might, (and I DID) it would not come right and each time I read it I knew that I’d missed the hoped-for essence.
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition – May 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 4 months ago
Before I set this comp, I suspect the gentleman who sweeps our streets must have passed by my window. He’s an absolute star. Has a smile and a chat for everyone, knows the names of all the local dogs and has helped push my car out of the snow at five in the morning.
But I don’t KNOW him, and I guess what I was looking for, on some hidden level,…[Read more]-
I really enjoyed both these entries. Congratulations @athelstone and @sandradavies.
-
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition – May 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 4 months ago
Sorry!!
Hoping to get time this afternoon to read the entries and post results. -
Raine posted an update 5 years, 4 months ago
Just wanted to say hi & apologise for my absence. Things are busy with lead up to book release & I’m struggling to find time for other things. Which is a very nice complaint to have, so i’m not complainting. ๐ Anyway, hi Denizens, I do still exist, hope you do too.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – May 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 4 months ago
The Urban McGonagall [one expletive]
Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays. I’m a poet.
Not that many folk, to look at me, would know it.
(Part because they look but never see beyond the Council-issued uniform: pea-green.Mostly I’m invisible. Indivisible, from barrow, brush and bucket. And yes of course, when drunks stumble, trip and tumble over my…[Read more]
-
- Load More

Gosh, so sorry to hear that, Janette. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care. x
Oh dear, oh dear. MrsB tripped on an uneven pavement and broke her arm while we were on holiday last year, and I remember all the pain and worry, so I have some idea of what you’re going through, and you have my sympathy. Especially since your case sounds worse, though reading between the lines it sounds like you’re getting better care too. Best…[Read more]
Rubbish news, Janette. I hope you recover as soon as possible. Sending more hugs – gentle ones.
Thank you, all, for your well-wishes. @richardb, sorry to hear about your wife. Care has been hit-and-miss due to an over-stretched NHS, but Mr O has taken a sabbatical from our small business and is taking good care of me. Just a pity I can’t always get to talk to relevant NHS departments when I need to.
Re Den, lets hope we can sort it out and…[Read more]
Hi Janette, Iโm really sorry about your accident. It sounds horrible. I really hope things start to get better soon.
Re the typing, would investing in voice software be helpful? Word has a dictate function which I found unusable (any pause for thinking and it switches off, and itโs also too basic to be any good) but there are proper pro…[Read more]