-
Seagreen replied to the topic Mid grade 1st chapter in the forum Critiques 6 years, 8 months ago
I should perhaps confess that my own novel is written in 1st person, and I have so far resisted the notion of changing it.
As for the Brownie Brigade Captain, if he were breathing down Ariadne’s neck or humming in her ear, or something that draws Ariadne’s attention to him, it would draw ours as a result, if that makes any sense.
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Mid grade 1st chapter in the forum Critiques 6 years, 8 months ago
I wonder if this is the reason more MG books are written in 3rd person? When you write in 1st person, you don’t think like the character, you are the character, and I think that additional explanations will ultimately slow the pace.
I tried to find a MG book written in first person for comparison and all I could think of was Running on the Roof…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Mid grade 1st chapter in the forum Critiques 6 years, 8 months ago
Hi Kate,
I don’t see a problem with the language either, to be honest, but (like Squidge) I did wonder about the amount of description at the start. It takes us out of the moment and lessens the impact of the question ‘How did I end up in this mess?’ if you see what I mean?
I have a few observations, obviously ignore anything that doesn’t work…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Monthly competition – January 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 8 months ago
Ooh congrats @libby on a very deserving perfectly formed story! 😊 And thank you @janeshuff for a challenge that got me away from editing/fretting! X
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly competition – January 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 8 months ago
Congratulations, Libby! 🙂
And thanks, Jane, for kick-starting my writing year x -
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly competition – January 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 8 months ago
Well done Libby, excellent. Good job, Jane.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition – January 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 8 months ago
Very well done, Libby – such a strong and individual tale (as were they all) and thank you Jane for the prompting and the comments.
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly competition – January 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 8 months ago
Congratulations Libby; well deserved. And thank you @janeshuff for a challenge well set.
-
Raine replied to the topic Monthly competition – January 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 8 months ago
Nice one, @athelstone 🙂 I want this to be part of something bigger!
-
Sandra replied to the topic Class 3 writing exercise "I don't remember", Sandra in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 8 months agoNope, Raine, it does not 🙂
I’m trying (struggling) to write a man who, the more I get to know him, the more I realise he has psychopathic tendencies, from the hiding in plain sight/joy of transgression PoV. Born into (8th generation) family business but wants to forge his own path (while holding on to respectability) so secretly deals in…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Monthly competition – January 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 8 months ago
Just reading through these, and much fun it is. 🙂 Thank-you all for brightening up my lunch break.
@johnalty – that sneaky wee twist made me laugh. 😀
@sandradavies – erk!! Love the ‘not fat – not quite – not yet’ line, instant image of the man!
@seagreen – wow, hard and powerful, and I am totally siding with her!
@libby – impressive world…[Read more] -
Raine replied to the topic Class 3: Writing Exercise, Raine. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 8 months agoThanks @sandradavies and @bellam both. It’s interesting – as I was writing this, I was thinking that it didn’t really tell me anything about the ‘inner lives’ of either Abigail or John. But in hindsight, perhaps it does. More about John though than Abigail, I think?
And yes, I think she needed to get out fast, and I think she did. She felt quite…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Class 3 writing exercise "I don't remember", Sandra in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 8 months agoThis does give me a good sense of the father though, I think. A shouty, philandering, ‘man’s man’. Working class. I get the impression he’s one of those people who puts others down a lot but always in the form of jokes so any hurt feelings can be laughed of with a ‘can’t you take a joke?’. Does that come close?
-
Raine replied to the topic Class 3: Writing Exercise, Bella in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 8 months agoAaaah, that makes so much sense now – re the lie! Very clever!
-
John S Alty posted an update 6 years, 8 months ago
The activity thread is rather strange since the DIY MA programme got underway – it’s like overhearing half a conversation. Intriguing.
-
Unfortunately, WordPress with its plugins that give us groups etc. has a fair few bugs. For some unknown reason, the DIY MA group, in spite of being set as private, spills its conversations if you select Activity whether you’re a member or not.
-
You should join us, John. It’s very relaxed!
-
Yeah, soz about that. I and the admins have both (all) tried to sort it and it just isn’t playing. Frustrating, but if it lures you into joining in, then maybe that’s a win!
-
-
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic Class 3: Writing Exercise, Bella in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 8 months ago“the miscarriage story is a lie” – aha! I did think there was something over- … stilted? about the letter. A bit too well-composed for the trauma undergone.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Class 3: Writing Exercise, Bella in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 8 months agoI remember Waltraut as being a well-established character of yours, even though I don’t remember reading anything about her. The writing, of what ought to be written, and the tearing up – is it weakness or selfishness? (my money goes on the latter).
-
Sandra replied to the topic Class 3: Writing Exercise, Raine. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 8 months agoHeartbreaking. Those inconsequentialities so poignant and the “plucking a sunripe fruit from a tree, pressing it against your cheek for the simple joy” such a vivid recollection of the good. Yet my impression is she got out – had the strength of character to get out – much earlier than many.
I’m wondering if she posted this, though? -
Sandra replied to the topic Class 3 writing exercise "I don't remember", Sandra in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 8 months agoThanks Raine – son has been quite insistent about making space for himself! It’s his father who keeps eluding me, despite him having to be MC (apart from the usual duo of Luke and Baz)
-
Raine started the topic Class 3: Writing Exercise, Raine. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 8 months agoI had a go at the breakup letter. Not edited much because I wanted to keep it untouched, to see what came out without tinkering, if you see what I mean. Anyway, here it is…
Dear John,
Funny that, isn’t it? Your name being John, and the fact that I never once thought I’d be writing to you like this. Like all those women.
Do you remember the…[Read more]
- Load More
