-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Comp – November 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 10 months ago
Well done, J!
Apologies, John. I actually wrote something for this but never got round to tidying it up 🙁 -
Janette started the topic Monthly Comp – December 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 10 months ago
In honour of a writing exercise recently enjoyed, and to mark the end of 2019, when I will be judging the entries, please write a piece that contains the words: OLD YEAR NIGHT (in any order and not necessarily together). If you could keep it up to 400 words, that would be great.
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly Comp – November 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 10 months ago
Totally unexpected, thanks John. Need to go and put my thinking cap on.
-
Barny replied to the topic Monthly Comp – November 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 10 months ago
Congratulations, Janette – nice work! And thanks John for the prompt.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Comp – November 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 10 months ago
Well done, Janette, and thank you John for releasing words I’d not anticipated writing. Thanks also for some brilliantly enjoyable reads.
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly Comp – November 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 10 months ago
Well, I’ve read your entries with great enjoyment. Jeanette gave a beautiful allegorical rendition of the passing seasons, Athers made me laugh with his tale of Norman, the folium-phobiac hoist by his own petard, Sandra found a silver lining and Barney completely confounded me with this disturbing narrative – I’m still asking myself, what the h…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 2: Character 1 – Outer Worlds in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 10 months agoSorry for not contributing this session. I did the reading, and enjoyed it, and think I’ll use some of the exercises to expand on what I already do when I’m planning. I didn’t get around to doing anything for this bit as I’m at totally the wrong point in any of my wips for it to work, and needed to get something finished, etc, etc!
Too late to…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Feedback on the Course in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 10 months agoSounds good @woolleybeans. Thank-you. 🙂
-
Sandra posted an update 6 years, 10 months ago
Probably everyone knew this already, but I’ve just discovered George on my new laptop: he reads my novel aloud for me! Gets the names wrong but shows me where commas could be usefully inserted.
-
I love my George too. Shows up all my silly spelling mistakes.
-
Will I have one? I have an old Mac. Or is there an Apple equivalent?
-
Don’t know – it’s Windows 10 I’ve just acquired.
-
I love my read-aloud facility, and can change readers and reading speeds. I do have a giggle at the mispronunciations, but it really does highlight the little faults often missed.
-
-
-
-
-
Barny replied to the topic Monthly Comp – November 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 10 months ago
Captive No More
Immovable behind a wide table, the five children sat strangely motionless. From tallest on the right to smallest on the left, they patiently faced an audience seated on ten rows of scarlet-topped hotel ballroom chairs.
The tallest child spoke first. “My name is One,” he said quietly, but loud enough. “I am the oldest. I am…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 2: Character 1 – Outer Worlds in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 10 months agoHa! Thanks @Squidge for the Julie Cohen notes, and I see I commented on your blog back in 2013,
(tho’ never went to one of her workshops) But immediately, with this, I see the beginnings of a character emerge. Admittedly, built onto the murderer I was groping for with the various questionnaires, but certainly growing. -
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Comp – November 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 10 months ago
Patience undoubtedly a virtue (308 words)
In the same way that Christmas cards seem each year to embrace a different theme – last year it was robins, the year before gold-embossed letters and musical notes – this year’s trend in ‘In sympathy’ cards appeared to be fallen leaves. Drifts of them, beneath trees, along kerb edges, gold and yellow sc…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 2: Character 1 – Outer Worlds in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 10 months ago@JaneShuff – I haven’t even started the book yet, just 300 words of random scenes … but glad to hear it works for you.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 2: Character 1 – Outer Worlds in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 10 months agoLike Squidge, this is an alien way of working for me, but … I need a murderer. One who isn’t immediately identified as such. (And while I know the (probable) victim I don’t know why or how) so I’ll be attempting to discover him (probably him) with this approach.
-
Raine replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 2: Character 1 – Outer Worlds in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoJust getting to this today & realised after reading this thread that I was reading the beginning of the chapter too! In my defence, it’s interesting!
I might try the exercises on my winter challenge story being as I’ve only got the vaguest idea about my characters in that… wish me luck!! -
Janette replied to the topic Monthly Comp – November 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 11 months ago
A Coat of Many Colours
Her debut frock had been remarkable enough. Clouds upon clouds of fragrant petals laced together with birdsong; an ode to spring. Dressed for the occasion, she rose from her slumbers to a reveille of golden trumpets, gathered in bands around her heels, and coloured the air with fragrance … though the show soon moved on.…[Read more]
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 11 months ago
Congrats John and HMs, and thanks Ath, for the challenge and kind feedback.
-
John S Alty started the topic Monthly Comp – November 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 11 months ago
OK, I realise there is other stuff going on to occupy you, so let’s keep this simple, and seasonal:
About 400 words on “Falling Leaves”
Have fun! -
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 11 months ago
Ath, you say the loveliest things. Thank you. And thanks for the comp.
John, congratulations. You opened a window into something quite special. -
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 11 months ago
Well, there’s a pleasant surprise for a Sunday morning! Thanks, Ath, and thank you fellow Denizens.
I’ll ponder a new prompt and put it up later today. - Load More
