-
John S Alty started the topic Story idea in the forum Coffee Shop 6 years, 11 months ago
I woke this morning with an idea for a short story/novella. It’s not something I’d tackle so I thought I’d put it out there for anyone looking for a new project:
Two women have taken on the challenge of rowing across the Atlantic for a charity – say, breast cancer awareness – and have acquired the necessary sponsorship, had a boat built and have…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Sea in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoOh gosh, that would be interesting / traumatic!! It would be a really revealing exploration of memory though, and how much detail we still retain beneath the conscious ‘main’ memory. Much like hypnosis is supposed to draw out those deeper memories, i wonder whether this could do similar.
-
Raine replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Raine. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoYeah I write down snippets in my notebook as I hear them. Pretending to be staring thoughtfully into space. Child is horrified at me and says I am ‘Infringing people’s right to privacy’!
And thank you. I adored my grandad. He moved to the UK as an old man and never stopped missing India – his stories were a very treasured part of my childhood,…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months ago@kazg yep will do that. I get home from hol tmrw so won’t be till then (and will have to wait till snakey is fed and cats are apologised to!).
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Sea in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoAll the I remembers so far seem to have been a release of sorts. What happens when you focus on one and break it down further?
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Hilary in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoSo sad, Hil, and so tender. I remember my dad’s smile, too.
-
Raine replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Hilary in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoOh my darling, that is so sad and beautiful, and I can almost see him in my mind’s eye. What a tender elegy, difficult to read, yes, but also utterly lovely.
I hope the eavesdropping and the time with the grandson have both been cheering. If nothing else, noting down the way small children talk is always a blast, I think. -
Seagreen replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoFeel like I’ve got here when everyone else is leaving…
It’s been a funny couple of days, hasn’t it? What with Ath’s comp and these ‘I remembers’ some unexpected emotions have floated to the surface. -
Seagreen replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Bella. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoThis served as a reminder of the things we go through as children. It’s quite harrowing, in a way, although thank goodness for Glenn’s mum!
-
Barny replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 12 months ago
Memories, memories
Through a mane of blonde hair, through streaks of bleached and of darker dyed strands, her eyes flickered upwards. “Can I help you, sir?”
Behind me the door hissed shut expensively, hinges well greased by wills and probates. “Do yer know where Bryant Street is?”
“I umm… don’t know.” She bent her head back down to the screen…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoAw @hilary that’s lovely! Sending you lots of hugs and tea!! I think the idea of being given prompts and free writing is such a liberating feeling, especially if other writing is proving a struggle. And being able to do so in a group makes the whole writing thing feel less lonely, I find. I know I have been really struggling with the urge to just…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Raine. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoI never found out, he ran off yelling something in Gaelic!
-
Raine replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Sea in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoThese are gorgeous, Sea. I love the image of the pineapple seller, and picking the car lock with your fingernail! So many different childhood emotions encapsulated here with deceptively simple phrases, really nice.
-
Raine replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Bella. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoThis is so evocative and sweet! I totally agree re bananas in custard – ugh. But isn’t Glenn’s mum a gem! Like @squidge says – interesting to see it worked into a kind of story, it gives it almost a prose poetry feel to it.
-
Raine replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoGood luck!!
-
Seagreen started the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Sea in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoStill working on the ‘Thing I no nothing about’ and, since there’s little hope of any gorgeousness, I’m posting my I remembers…
I remember my dad’s blue Ford Zephyr. I could pick the lock with my fingernail
I remember woollen blankets with coloured stripes and black and white striped pillows
I remember RAF Tengah and T15, the ‘robot’ bus that…[Read more] -
Seagreen replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Raine. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoLove the authenticity of the dialogue. And I really, really want to know what Jonny has 68 of!
-
Raine replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Raine. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoThank you! I have to admit I developed a bit of a soft spot for wee Jonny!
I’ve only ever used the I Remember exercise for finding a character’s voice before so it felt quite different doing it for myself. I still think doing it for a character is more useful for any actual piece of writing. But I guess this is good for simply getting yourself…[Read more]
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 12 months ago
Yin and Yang
A gurgle of whiskey titillated the silence, ending with a full stop tap of glass on glass. Darrol picked up the tumbler and drifted over to the window, mind still emersed in his Yin and Yang infatuation. Her long blond hair against his dark skin; her crystal cry above his leather groan, their lovemaking uniting them – like the i…[Read more]
-
Raine started the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Raine. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoSo I did all my homework on a ferry trip, and have grabbed a moment to type up and post being as almost-teenager is sleeping in… I’m not sure these two are feedbacky-type exercises, are they? But hopefully still interesting to see.
Overheard Dialogue
Those three are the bad guys.
Will he be going this way? Aye it’s quicker isnet?
He says h…[Read more]
- Load More
