-
Raine replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoI’ve always got a soft spot for Kipling’s style – it is so much fun to read aloud to small people. As for the really strong dialect sample (not got my book with me so can’t remember which one that was – about the frog!), I can admire it and enjoy its differentness … but for anything beyond flash length, I’d really have to care about the…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoGorgeousness is clearly in the eye of the beholder 🙂 I’m not fussy for the Kipling or Gloss examples but rate the other two.
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 12 months ago
Untitled (314 words)
We’d been to Tesco’s. A late night shopping trip. I bought a ready meal and a soft, fluffy scarf in shades of blue and grey. In the car home we talked about a chip shop tea and the possibility of potato fritters.
‘Your grandad used to make potato fritters,’ I said. ‘As a special treat. Mixed up the batter and did them in t…[Read more] -
Raine replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoI’m on a ferry tmrw, so hoping to do some eavesdropping there… Although the forecast is not marvellous so that may hamper my efforts!
I’m liking some of the exercises in the books so may play with them over the next few days. -
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago
Lost and Found and Lost
Arthur was rooting through a drawer in the garage, the one reserved for plumbing parts, searching for a tap washer. His gnarled hands scrabbled through off-cuts of plastic water pipe, white nylon fittings, a flushing mechanism still in its packaging, old tobacco tins holding copper olives, bolts, nuts and split pins. No…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Writing Practice: Year 1 in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoOh, the Hadron Collider! Now there’s something else I know nothing about!
For me, the fun is in the not knowing and the annoyance is trying to list the things that wouldn’t automatically come to mind because I know nothing about them anyway. If that makes sense? -
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago
This only 269 words but says what I intended
Time to play
Clearing a 25 year-old to-be-replaced kitchen, and the resultant sense of temporary displacement, gave time and focus to a wider realisation of things no longer needed. Delays gave more time than anticipated to jettison stuff, then the lovely announcement of a visit from good friends from…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Writing Practice: Year 1 in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoFavourite thing on the list of ‘Things I know nothing about’ (and there are six so far) – the Mariana Trench.
-
Raine replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoYep might be a good idea. I’ll do that tmrw unless anyone disagrees… We could post on the main wall to announce new units so anyone interested can join.
-
Raine replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoMy lovely books have arrived. If anyone needs it, I’m happy to share photos of the relevant pages (Aside from CalMac ferry vagaries, I don’t want anyone excluded because of book costs). This site doesn’t let you post pictures, I believe (?) but I can do it by email or fb. Just shout…
-
Seagreen replied to the topic September 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago
Good job, Ath 🙂
And thanks, Squidge. I’ll never look at a paint colour quite the same way again! -
Sandra replied to the topic September 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago
Congratulations on the win Ath, and for what it’s worth I found it uncomfortably horrific in its pervasive cult brainwashing manipulation – the sort of thing I usually avoid reading and very definitely cannot write, so am as admiring as I am uncomfortble with it.
And thanks Squidge for the competition which I took as opportunity to try out a…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic replying to agent rejections in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years ago
Hurrah for the fulls, Hil. A great sign, even if they don’t lead anywhere (yet). I’ve heard the ‘don’t reply to a form rejection’ from a lot of agents, so I’ve never done that. If the rejection is noticeably personalised, then I’ve sent a quick thankyou, and I always thank them after a full MS rejection. After moping for a bit!
I’d also guess that…[Read more] -
Raine replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoSpot the person with lots of actual experience structuring study programmes! Thank you so much @woolleybeans this is just what we needed, and sounds like it should accommodate everyone’s needs.
I say we go with this & if we need to review how it’s working after the first few 3 week blocks, then by that point we should have a much clearer idea of…[Read more] -
Seagreen posted an update in the group
Andrew Wille’s DIY MA course 7 years agoI am both looking forward to this (the thought of it excites me) and dreading it (worried that I’ll fall behind) but in the face of WB’s wonderfully thought out plan, I’m sharpening the pencils and saying ‘Bring it on!’
-
Raine replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoOk, I can understand that. I guess it’s a balance, isn’t it? Between providing a timetable for those of us who like structure (I prob count myself there), and not excluding people whose other commitments make that timetable unfeasable. … And getting caught in an infinite loop of trying to decide a timetable that fits everyone! … AND not…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoYeah, the time commitment/coordination is the challenge with something like this. I’ve been thinking about how it might work, having jumped in enthusiastically without doing any thinking first! I guess for me, the best way seems to be to look at it as a series of group exercises, rather than a whole MA.
Maybe the way to do it would be if someone…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoA daunting expenditure on books, too … time to hie me to the library methinks.
-
-
- Load More
