-
Sandra replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Entirely agree with Knicks and Jane. If critique is wanted it should be specifically asked for; where someone believes it would be helpful, a pm is the best place to start. For myself, comp entries are often little more than the flexing of writing muscles.
-
Knicks replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Compliments are what comes to mind when I consider the definition of positive commentary. Stating what you liked about a piece to encourage its writer. If someone specifically wants a critique they can ask for it plainly when posting their entry. But I think the general consensus is that this won’t really be the forum in which to offer…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
THanks for the interesting post @richardb. π I did laugh at Harry critisising the very services that JW offer! I guess their taught courses are less in depth than an MA, but it’s the same principal. As someone said (@janeshuff?) I love that the SE course attracts a wide range of writing genres/styles so there seemed no gravitation towards some…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Sorry for absence … Yes, I like the idea of (positive) commenting within the comp thread, and if sub-threading isn’t an option then tagging people is a fair second best, I guess. So yes please do jump into the current comp if you wish to comment. It will be a nice way for people to get a bit of feedback regardless of the comp results. As @daedalu…[Read more]
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
I think you have to activate reply threading, but I don’t know for sure.
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Guidelines suggest not posting on the thread with the entries, until after judging is complete, but you can make a general discussion comment tagging the appropriate person. I think I have that correct.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Glad you asked that Jane, I was also wondering.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
Yes, Squidge – soon as I pressed ‘go’ I thought that myself!
-
Sandra replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
At the risk of sounding ageist, is it not the case that a high(ish) percentage of those doing degrees/Masters are quite young, and are unlikely to yet have the confidence/experience to ignore publishers et al?
-
Sandra replied to the topic Terminal discouragement? in the forum Coffee Shop 7 years, 5 months ago
To some extent (not that I’ve done any really full-on writing courses, just SE, some reading and building on experience) I do notice that my very early writing has a freshness of approach that more recent, more self-conscious writing does not.
And I do cheer when I come across writers such as Eimear McBride and Eley Williams (both James Tait…[Read more]
-
John S Alty posted an update 7 years, 5 months ago
For anyone wishing to avoid me over on JT, I’m Wildman. (I’m not really wild at all, Wild is my mother’s maiden name).
I’m having fun trying to spot Denizens over there, it’s quite tricky. -
Sandra replied to the topic Bi-Monthly Comp – May/June 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Drink with a dead man – and apologies, 410 words
Innocuous in colour as a Rich Tea biscuit, the envelope was angled so as to fit into the grey metal cell of the Post Restante box. Illuminated by the single bare bulb in the narrow passage between front and rear of the shop, the vertical/horizontal of the letterβs shadow made of it a hitman, w…[Read more]
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Bi-Monthly Comp – May/June 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Untitled
The pirogue nudged its way between the cypress stumps, lily pads parting in its path and reuniting in its wake. The only sounds came from the rustle of leaves in the slight breeze and the occasional slap and roil of a feeding bass. It was late afternoon; a low sun dappled the brown surface of the bayou and the shadows pointed like…[Read more]
-
Raine started the topic Bi-Monthly Comp – May/June 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
I’m trying out a different format for this based on discussions, so am giving us a two month window to help more people post. There wasn’t a massive consensus on how to select winners so for this one, I’ll stick to just me choosing, unless anyone wants to message me their preferences and then I’ll make it a combined thing.
So… the task this…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Monthly comp: Feb 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Awesome!! Thank-you @jd73, and everyone for your well dones. π I didn’t get round to reading the others til yesterday, and loved them all, brilliant endings in each one. So well done to you guys too. π
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly comp: Feb 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Well done, Raine!
-
Raine replied to the topic 'The Five': A Dissenting Voice in the forum Blogs 7 years, 5 months ago
Agreed, it’s a little ironic that Rubenhold seems to have done the exact thing she was hoping to undo. Sigh. It actually serves as quite an interesting example of unreliable narrators and self awareness, and our ability to retrain our own ingrained biases. I read a lot of stuff about ‘decolonising’ in ref to both the colonised and the colonisers,…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic Monthly comp: Feb 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Mutated the quote, I know. Sorry. In my defence it didn’t say the quote had to be exact. Plus, I know ‘ghosting’ isn’t about ghosts, but I like ghosts, and am too old to write about ‘ghosting’! π
-
Raine posted an update 7 years, 5 months ago
Snuck in under the wire for the April (extended) monthly comp. π
-
Raine replied to the topic Monthly comp: Feb 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Aconite and Forget-me-not.
(347 words)To you who Iβve haunted, will you listen? I have whispered stories in your ear and did you hear them? They were both your stories and mine, your sins and yes, mine too, and when I paid for both of us, you thought yourself free. So I came, did I not, to remind you. I have been the footfalls behind you in t…[Read more]
- Load More
