-
Raine replied to the topic Writers & Artists short story comp in the forum Podium 7 years, 6 months ago
For the sake of balance/context/perspective, this story has been rejected by three magazines. Just shows how totally subjective this game is!
-
Janette replied to the topic Writers & Artists short story comp in the forum Podium 7 years, 6 months ago
This is fab, Raine. Not surprised though. About time you won some recognition. Well done.
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Writers & Artists short story comp in the forum Podium 7 years, 6 months ago
Absolutely brilliant!! 😁😁
-
Sandra replied to the topic Writers & Artists short story comp in the forum Podium 7 years, 6 months ago
Brilliant success Raine – one out of a thousand! – Wow indeed.
-
Raine started the topic Writers & Artists short story comp in the forum Podium 7 years, 6 months ago
Ello. Found out yesterday that I am one of two runner-ups in this comp, for a short story called ‘Gold’. Lovely bit of news and they give a nice comment on it. The winning story is impressive though. Very bleak, and original.
Link, if you’re interested
…https://www.writersandartists.co.uk/2019/03/short-story-competition-2019-winner-revealed
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 6 months ago
I’m still hosting https://predictionfiction.blogspot.com/ every
week, which is 2 x 100 words of two serials plus a standalone if inspiration/prompts permit. Also it’s me who judges the winner. So I don’t have much spare time with competitions as well, unless they strike an immediate chord.
I do think Raine’s idea of only commenting the winner…[Read more] -
Raine replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 6 months ago
Every two months seems like a good thing to try. As long as we remind ourselves from time to time on the main wall, I think there’s more chance of us remembering to enter. I must admit, while the comp entries are definitely fewer here than on the cloud, it does make judging less onerous!!
I do like the random prompts things as they make me write…[Read more]
-
Janette replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 6 months ago
Liking your thinking, Daeds, as I’d like to partake, but commitments have stopped me of late. Bi-monthly and an occasional easy challenge sounds good. Perhaps an ‘over to you’ now and then (when the winner is struggling to set the theme) or indeed, an excerpt from a WIP. I also like the sound of not having to do all the judging if you win, which…[Read more]
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 6 months ago
Thoughts:
A quarterly competition? Winner sets the subject for the next comp, but doesn’t judge it. Prize is a virtual Gold Quill.
The judging is either by a panel or a vote of the participants, or an open vote.
Critique of the entries? By who? Needs some ideas. Maybe submit the winning entry to a magazine or competition?Have a good weekend, everybody.
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly comp: Feb 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 6 months ago
Works for me, good idea.
-
Raine replied to the topic Monthly comp: Feb 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 6 months ago
Okay folks, I think Feb and March have kind of got the better of most of us. Sorry @jd73 for the floundering of this comp. Your prompts are great & if you are happy to still judge, how about we make this the April comp, and get everyone going again?
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Interesting article about developing your voice in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 6 months ago
Good one, Daeds, thank you.
-
-
WOW! Well done. Who, where, what?
-
Brilliant, well done Raine!! I’ve still had rejections quicker, but this is good anyway
-
Cracking news! Where?
-
Anti-hero Anti-Heroin Chic. It was a flash from the monthly comps – the flower and the bee. Not paying, but I don’t mind that for flash. Nice wee surprise. 😊
-
Stupid phone tiny typing window. Ignore the ‘Anti-hero’ bit…
-
Talking of the monthly competition. We all, I think, failed to enter in February so it’s in abeyence/abeyance/halted. Could we do something? Extend the deadline to the end of March?
-
@janeshuff Yes, I’d been thinking that. I’ve just posted a comment along those lines, although I suggested to end of April, as March is running away with us.
-
-
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Raine posted an update in the group
December SloMo 7 years, 6 months agoMorning slomoers. I need a KICK goddammit. Please someone put a knife to my throat or something. I am translating agent/publisher silence into a complete inability to motivate myself and GAH. And now the sun has only gone and come out and I have bulbs to plant so I see more procrastination happening…
-
Maybe not allow yourself to plant bulbs until x words written/edited? Lx
-
Morning. FEEL YOUR PAIN. So… what is it that you want to be getting on with?
Oh! That project?
THAT IS AN AMAZING PROJECT, AND YOU NEED TO GET THIS FANTASTIC PIECE OF AMAZINGNESS WRITTEN!!!It’s never about publishing / publishers. You are a writer. You are an artist. Fuck everyone else. You know you’re calling. Do it because it’s play, it’s…[Read more]
-
I am liking the Fuck Everyone Else motto! I did some plot editing and then planted bulbs. Today I am going to stare at the next round of paper edits whilst dying of endometriosis. But I will be dying with my special purple editing pen in hand, which totally counts!
-
Oh, Raine – I feel your pain. Hope you manage to feel more comfortable soon. Endometriosis is a real be-arch! And yay to getting bulbs planted AND doing some writing as well. x
-
Oh Raine my daughter has endo (we think) and it’s a killer. That, plus writerly lack of mojo, definitely calls for the Fuck Everyone Else approach – henceforth FEE – and gin, and tea, and chocolate. And I just read your beautiful, heartwrenching In the Dark Garden and I am reminded again of your writerly superpowers – even if you’re not feeling it…[Read more]
-
-
Henceforth, this is the official Den motto:
‘It’s never about publishing / publishers. You are a writer. You are an artist. Fuck everyone else. You know you’re calling. Do it because it’s play, it’s creating, because it brings you joy.
Just do it.’
Thanks to @philippaeast 🙂
-
You’re welcome! *doffs cap*
And I threw a typo in for good measure. Just to prove (kinda) my point.
-
-
-
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic Interview with Fiona Erskine, author of The Chemical Detective in the forum Blogs 7 years, 7 months ago
I’m going to the launch on 2nd April. Local bookshop will be there with a goodly supply.
But thanks Daeds, for an excellent interview.
-
Raine replied to the topic Plotting workshop notes in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 7 months ago
I’ve just printed out Annie Neugerbauer’s worksheet to see if it helps me tackle the next round of wip edits. 🙂
-
Raine replied to the topic Interview with Fiona Erskine, author of The Chemical Detective in the forum Blogs 7 years, 7 months ago
Great interview, well done both @daedalus and @fiona. 🙂 Can’t wait to see the book in all its glory.
- Load More
