-
Seagreen replied to the topic Delilah S Dawson on developing an idea in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 8 months ago
7.
Took me 4 years to discover I’m not the fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of writer. -
Raine posted an update 7 years, 8 months ago
PSA: from an initial 120k behemoth, I now have a 98k mildly rotund wip. 🎉🎉🎉
-
Sandra posted an update 7 years, 9 months ago
So much of editing is removing the superfluous, I wonder why the hell I put it in there in the first place.
-
I look at it as like scaffolding. You need it to construct the story, but taking it away is part of the process
-
I see it more like all those tatty bits of pale blue plastic wrapping, shredded and blowing in the wind.
-
Haha yeah, that too
-
It’s like a dissection. You need to rummage around to know what’s what, then you can start cutting away…
-
And fingers crossed you don’t snip anything vital …
-
-
-
-
-
-
Seagreen replied to the topic TSS Cambridge Short Story in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 7 years, 9 months ago
I’m in!
-
Sandra replied to the topic TSS Cambridge Short Story in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 7 years, 9 months ago
Thanks for this, Word limit ought to mean it wouldn’t need much tweaking.
-
Raine posted an update 7 years, 9 months ago
End of first week of term time. How are people bearing up?
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 9 months ago
Congratulations John, well deserved, and thanks Raine for the judgement and nice comments – hope Life takes an uplift for you.
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 9 months ago
Congratulations John, and many thanks Raine for setting the comp. I hope the rest of the month is easier on you.
-
John S Alty started the topic January 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 9 months ago
OK, everyone, we’ll make this short and sweet because the RWAV competition is reaching its finale this month and many will be busy with that.
It’s a new year so the theme is “Looking Ahead” and you have to do it with a mere 200 words.
Good luck! -
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 9 months ago
Well, I didn’t see that coming. Thanks, Raine.
Well done to all the entrants for taking part. -
Raine posted an update 7 years, 9 months ago
15k cut of a target 20k cut. Still 12 chapters to go and looking very hopeful. I think this merits tea.
-
Raine replied to the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 9 months ago
Guys, I can’t apologise enough for being NINE days late coming back to this. THe holidays were … not conducive to remembering things, so I am sorry for keeping you in suspense (and making January a very brief comp!)
So… thankyou for managing to fit in writing your entries during the xmas busyness.
@Seagreen – I loved the tiny details that…[Read more]
-
Raine posted an update 7 years, 9 months ago
Ah feck and arse. I’m so sorry to have totally dropped the ball re the monthly comp. Had a difficult holiday period and a few things have fallen by the wayside – this included. I’ll read today and announce belated winner later. I might have to beg off the individual feedback if that will delay me further. So sorry folks – was pants of me.
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Speed Kills: Salisbury, 1906 in the forum Blogs 7 years, 9 months ago
Another interesting and entertaining story from the world of railways – thank you Richard.
-
-
Happy new year, @johnalty and all Denizens.
-
Thanks. You too, and all Denizens. May 2019 bring you all you want it to.
-
Happy New Year, friends!
-
Happy New Year. Que de bonnes choses en 2019
-
-
Happy New year all. May it bring success with your writing
-
Happy New Year John!
-
Happy New Year, all!
-
Happy new year all.
-
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 9 months ago
Very clever John – you’ve left me poised and nervous as to what sort of ‘reality’ comes next.
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 9 months ago
Road to Redemption
It was the hour before dawn on Christmas morning. Robert stood under a pair of bay trees at the far end of the garden and breathed deeply, calming himself. The darkest hour it’s sometimes called, but he could see the light was coming fast now, a sliver of red showing on the eastern horizon and he knew he’d have to hurry. Sho…[Read more]
-
John S Alty posted an update 7 years, 9 months ago
I’m working to finish this month’s competition entry (come on, you lot!) and fiddling with the Room with a View thingy. Had a piece published in Across the Margin, always a little boost.
Real life is quite demanding right now, also, so just popped in to say Merry Christmas! -
Raine replied to the topic Getting An Agent Blog in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 9 months ago
Yeah, do post an update when you have time, @philippaeast! I’d love to hear how it’s worked doing such big edits with your agent as editor. I didn’t really get much of that with mine, so would be interested to hear how it’s been.
-
Raine posted an update in the group
December SloMo 7 years, 9 months agoFirst day of school hols, which means a final, wonderful end to all the school xmas events (slides into exhaustion coma…) AND I am now ALONE till sunday, for which YAAAAAY!!!
I’m half way through the book edit and have cut from 120k to 110k. Which means I’m on target to get to 100k… so far. I want to get to 99k for that subliminal 5figure…[Read more]
- Load More
