Almost there for the Monthly Competition. Hurry, hurry, hurry!
Almost there for the Monthly Competition. Hurry, hurry, hurry!
powered by bulletin

End of an era

About Forums Den of Writers Blogs End of an era

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Squidge
    Participant

I surprised myself when I looked at the Scribbles, just how long it is since I last blogged. Think it’s cos I’ve not had the time rather than not having material.
    Anyway, was feeling a bit melancholy last night about the demise of the cloud, and how the festival would be without that strong cloudie vibe, so I mused a bit about its loss.

If you want to read it, it’s HERE, but fingers crossed I’ll be able to write one about this place to be a bit more upbeat in the next couple of days. And I might even share a few arty pics from my recent holiday…just to get me back into the blogging!

Baz Baron
    Participant

Go for it, Squidge. x

Daedalus
    Participant

Good blog, Squidge. Even though we have the Den now, losing the Cloud will leave a huge hole. It didn’t really hit me at first, as we’d been preparing ourselves for some time, and there were the preparations for the Den to take our minds off things a bit. But it’s only now, partly thanks to your blog, that I’m starting to see how much has been lost. Things like the monthly competitions – they don’t mean much in the scheme of things, but they were a good example of the collective spirit of the Cloud. It was really nice to see how people’s flash fic skills developed. Fitting but also sad that the last ever comp set, and which will never be finished, was on the theme of ‘endings’.

Squidge
    Participant

I think we all thought it’ll be OK, it’ll carry on but just get worse to access. Not that we’d wake up to find the whole lot gone…

And yes, to see people join, and build their confidence and skills – whether that led to publishing success or not – was a real privilege and huge part of the community the cloud developed into.

Seagreen
    Participant

Maybe a comp on the theme of ‘New Beginnings?’

Jules
    Participant

It is sad. And I’m with you, Squidge. I never expected it to just disappear for good with no concrete warning. I saved everything I needed to keep I think but there was so much collective history there. I’m glad so many cloudies have managed to find the Den. At least we can all stay in touch.

I think a monthly comp is a great idea, Seagreen. Definitely a Cloud tradition that should continue.

Daedalus
    Participant

Your wish is my command – see the Competitions etc forum

Woolleybeans
    Participant

This place is, itself, something grown from the Cloud, or at least out of the connections and frienships and support that developed.

It has been an integral part of life, and has felt so tied up with York, and I almost can’t believe the FoW is happening this weekend and we are not meeting up there.

Jonathan
    Participant

The cloud was a jewel, wasn’t it. It was my first writing home and the first people to read my writing were on it and are now on the denofwriters site so it – and yourselves – will always have a special spot in my heart.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.