New article, some bells and whistles

About Forums Den of Writers Podium New article, some bells and whistles

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Daedalus
    Participant

I’ll start, just to kick things off here. I’ve just been looking over the proofs of a new article that will be published in the next issue of The Aviation Historian journal. It’s about a rather wacky American scheme in the late 1940s and early 50s to create seaplane fighters and bombers that could operate from temporary bases in isolated bays, supplied by submarines. It’s a bit of a milestone for me because the magazine has commissioned some custom artwork and illustrations for it, and I haven’t had that kind of attention for anything I’ve written before. There’s a nice ‘what-if’ painting of an exotic seaplane fighter tangling with a North Korean jet, and a full page colour illustration showing a timeline of the aircraft’s development and some of the key concepts. The editor told me it was the kind of article the magazine had been set up to publish, so that’s a nice boost. It’ll be published in October

Jules
    Participant

That sounds brilliant, Daed! Congratulations. I think one of thr best feelings from writing is knowing that you’ve really connected with your target audience and this definitely falls into that bracket. The comissioned artwork is very exciting too. Remember to come back in October and remind us it’s available ???

Woolleybeans
    Participant

Oooh, artwork. Lovely.

Athelstone

Sounds brill. Is it online/hardcopy/both?

Daedalus
    Participant

Both – the magazine is only available online but in digital or hardcopy form. The hardcopies are really nice – small format, perfect bound, halfway between a magazine and a book. Website here

John T
    Participant

Brilliant! Remind us when it’s out, Daedalus.

KazG
    Participant

That’s amazing, Daeds! How exciting and congratulations 🙂

Mad Iguana
    Participant

That’s great Daeds!! Well done, you!

Daedalus
    Participant

Thanks all. And last night I got sent the proofs for another big feature, this one in Aeroplane, for a potted history of the Grumman Avenger. So It looks as though September-October will be a decent spell for my publications, which is nice as this year hasn’t been all that great so far.

Anyway, we’ve heard quite enough about me – it must be someone else’s turn to shout about an achievement?

Pinkbelt
    Participant

Good stuff Daeds. Sounds great.

Elle
    Participant

Congratulations!

JT.
    Participant

This is brilliant news.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.